• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rossiya: An-148 has proven expensive to operate

DATE:29/05/10

SOURCE:Air Transport Intelligence news

Rossiya: An-148 is costly and needs better support

By David Kaminski-Morrow

Initial operations with the new Antonov An-148 regional jet are proving expensive compared with other aircraft, the Russian launch customer has told a technical conference, and the type needs better maintenance support.

Rossiya general director Sergei Belov put forward a candid assessment of the airline's early experience with the An-148. He says the aircraft had high operating costs and was "worse" than the Boeing 737 in terms of commercial efficiency. Rossiya's fleet includes 737-500s.

Belov adds that efficient operation of the type would be "difficult" without the assistance of equipment manufacturers and developers. Priority must be given to creating round-the-clock technical support availability, setting up spares centres, and expansion of the An-148's minimum equipment list.
    “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Well, that cannot be easy to hear, on the part of Antonov. I have to wonder, though, as the type becomes more commonplace, will not the cost of operations lower? In other words, aren't they directly linked, and while expensive now, will only get less so as more operators come online? Either way, it does not help the current operator...
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
      Well, that cannot be easy to hear, on the part of Antonov. I have to wonder, though, as the type becomes more commonplace, will not the cost of operations lower? In other words, aren't they directly linked, and while expensive now, will only get less so as more operators come online? Either way, it does not help the current operator...
      I doubt it become common, since the Ukrainan aviation industry lacks the capacity.
      Nor the Russian are so interested in competing with the SSJ.
      Anyways theres been a inflight scare due to bad wiring.
      "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

Originally posted by Alessandro View Post
        I doubt it become common, since the Ukrainan aviation industry lacks the capacity.
        Nor the Russian are so interested in competing with the SSJ.
        Anyways theres been a inflight scare due to bad wiring.
        http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...ght-upset.html
        Well the airplane is Manufactured in Voronezh, Russia, as well as in the Ukraine so I'm not sure if capacity will be a problem. I suppose it could be if a lot of the parts are manufactured by small companies who can't easily increase production.

But competition with the Superjet is sure to be a problem, especially if supply of spare parts and after sales service is better with the Superjet. And many CIS operators will probably prefer Western types to either of them.

I'm flying on one of Rossiya's AN-148s next month (SVO-LED) and very much looking forward to the flight. Hope they insulate the bloody wiring properly between now and then!

Comment

Working...
        X