Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Vendors Ahead?

Maybe this is old news. But ATWOnline had this article:

The North American aerospace and defense industry will face significant challenges owing to problems in leadership development, talent sourcing, organizational structure and corporate culture problems, according to a report by AccentureThe North American aerospace and defense industry will face significant challenges owing to problems in leadership development, talent sourcing, organizational structure and corporate culture problems, according to a report by Accenture

It just made me wonder if the "national aerospace company" is going the way of the "national airline". We have AF-KLM and others like it.

Could lack of domestic human resources mean that electronically linked engineers and production lines could be turning out planes that aren't really "American" or "Canadian". Fact is that kids in America aren't really that brilliant in math or sciences. Oh sure, I know kids who got PhD's in sciences, so they do exist. But cutting edge technology requires more than a sprinkling. But the world! It has a much better supply of kids excelling in science, eager to break out of the surrounding cycle of poverty. Why would we be stuck with H-1B visas? Isn't that model being made obsolete?

Any opinions?

You've made the asumption that Boeings are made in the US I take it from that statement. The truth is many components are made overseas - Messier Bugatti supply brakes from France, there are components made for the 777 in Australia. The aerospace industry is very much a global enterprise as it is. Now with the 787 coming online, it is being made in large subassemblies all around the world.

Comment

I have seen fuselage's for 737's coming through here on trains every now and then , usually always headed toward Seattle if I remember correctly. So I know those are assembled here in the U.S.

Don't trek near the train yards or tracks much, so I don't know just how many have passed through on trains, possibility most all have if they are assembled somewhere east of here (for the NG 737's at least).

It doesn't surprise me, or even really trouble me at all, that components for Boeing are made in different places, the bottom line is it shouldn't.

Comment

From what I heard some years ago, Asians make circuit boards that control our missiles. Maybe that was just a rumor, but so long as there's quality control, shouldn't matter who makes what. Or even who assembles what. Just so long as we don't take the Valu-Jet approach of "that's his responsibility".

Comment

Working...
        X