United/Continental B777 new paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United/Continental B777 new paint

Sitting in Amarillo, Texas is a UAL B777 awaiting a new paint job at Leading Edge Aviation Services. I'm assuming it will come out looking like the B737 sitting along side (quite a size difference). Sorry for the terrible pic. I was using a co-workers point and shoot about 1/2 mile away just before sunset. Hopefully I'll get a good shot when the B777 comes out of the paint hangar.
    Last edited by atcvector; 2010-11-10, 18:21. Reason: Spelling
    My photos at JP.net

National Air Traffic Controllers Association

All I can say is

My once favorite airline to fly joined with the most detestable airline in the US.

Comment

I completeley agree. I adore Uniteds grey colors. Continentals colors are a complete joke!
      the 747 will always be superior.

Comment

Actually, I was referring to Continental attaching itself to the "ugly girl" as United was so well described.

I could care less about United, I never had one good experience flying on United. I never had a bad flight on Continental, but I will never fly on the bastardized United/Continental.

Comment

Originally posted by B757300 View Post
          I never had a bad flight on Continental, but I will never fly on the bastardized United/Continental.
          Because of the paint scheme? Well, whatever the case, I'm sure the loss of you is one they can weather.

Comment

I was curious if they strip the previous coats of paint before adding the new paint scheme? Considering the amount of weight those extra coats of paints would add to the air frame.

Comment

I would have perfered all Continental or all United, not the new United name and the Contineltal livery. At least they don't seem to be in a rush to repaint as like DL was with NWA.
              what ever happens......happens

Comment

Fugly

And yes they strip them and repaint.

Comment

Originally posted by atcvector View Post
                  Sitting in Amarillo, Texas is a UAL B777 awaiting a new paint job at Leading Edge Aviation Services. I'm assuming it will come out looking like the B737 sitting along side (quite a size difference).
                  The pic does nicely show the size of the 777's engines as being similar to the fuselage of a narrow body.

Comment

B737 "nose to nose" with GE90 engine. (sorry pic is small)

B737 in front of B777. I believe KLM use GE90. Comapare the size of engines with B737 fuselage.
                    "Mine is bigger than yours and if you're not hurry with your take-off, I'm gonna eat you like a Mc737." - Photo taken at Amsterdam - Schiphol (AMS / EHAM) in Netherlands on June 14, 2005.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Malone View Post
                      Because of the paint scheme? Well, whatever the case, I'm sure the loss of you is one they can weather.
                      It has nothing to do with the paint scheme.

Comment

It's not that hard of a transition...

Considering the latest UA c/s (white body, blue undercarriage), it's not a hard transition to CO's current c/s. To be honest, as classic as CO's scheme is, the bold/black United titles look horribly out of place on the airframes. It's just odd, clunky and out-of-place. I get it, that they are trying to minimize branding costs, and save a bundle by not removing much, but couldn't they at least use the lettering in blue?

That said, I also think that they should opt for a new brand identity and soon. I get that timing is sensative, and the sooner the merger, the better, but this is a joke - one of monumental import, if they think that this half-a**ed attempt of an c/s is going to stir up alot of confidence in the management of the new entity.

Now, just my two cents. How much of an asset was the name "United"? In reality, does United possess greater brand confidence and recognition worldwide? I am sure that perhaps in Asia (where their presence has always been strong/potent), maybe so, but the past decade has seen them erode that away with horrible service and potentially damming management decisions. Would walking away from the brand-capital/loyalty that they have developed over the decades, for one of CO, really be such a bad thing? In your opinion, as travelers, which says to you "the better airline"?
                        Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
                          Now, just my two cents. How much of an asset was the name "United"? In reality, does United possess greater brand confidence and recognition worldwide? I am sure that perhaps in Asia (where their presence has always been strong/potent), maybe so, but the past decade has seen them erode that away with horrible service and potentially damming management decisions. Would walking away from the brand-capital/loyalty that they have developed over the decades, for one of CO, really be such a bad thing? In your opinion, as travelers, which says to you "the better airline"?
                          When America West acquired US Airways, they named the new company US Airways due to better name recognition. The United/Continental case is far more nuanced and unclear. My guess is that, on balance, United has better name recognition and market penetration. Moreover, in the past 2-3 years, United has much improved and Continental has become much worse.

But the jury is out on whether this merger will succeed. Few in the industry do. Delta, however, is doing pretty well with Northwest, but then Delta always were an exception and have always done a good job on mergers.

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
                            But the jury is out on whether this merger will succeed. Few in the industry do. Delta, however, is doing pretty well with Northwest, but then Delta always were an exception and have always done a good job on mergers.
                            I imagine there are some Western airlines employees who might disagree.

Comment

12 days later

And sure enough 12 days later, the airplane looks like this.
                              Why can't they park the airplane so the sun shines on them properly?
                              My photos at JP.net

National Air Traffic Controllers Association

Comment

Working...
                              X