Delta International Summer 2011 expansion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta International Summer 2011 expansion

Quite the expansion with new service. Looks like the Pittsburgh flights are doing well, frequency will be increased to daily service. Also a resumption iof ATL-PVG-ATL, and new nonstops between DTW and PEK. This comes in addition to new nonstops already announced between MIA and LHR and BOS and LHR.

Source: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...108457459.html

I have to wonder as to what market they are going for on the MIA-LHR route. Are they hoping for all stand-alone traffic? Their connections to MIA are very slight, and it's odd to see them start this route. Where they might have made a greater impact would have been FLL-LHR on a smaller aircraft.
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
      I have to wonder as to what market they are going for on the MIA-LHR route. Are they hoping for all stand-alone traffic? Their connections to MIA are very slight, and it's odd to see them start this route. Where they might have made a greater impact would have been FLL-LHR on a smaller aircraft.
      The slots at LHR are LHR-MIA specific, as AA/BA had to give them up (along with 2 slot pairs for LHR-BOS) to have their ATI granted, so DL can't use them for FLL service. Besides, Delta has a large FF base in SoFla, and judging by their announcement of MIA-MCO/TPA/JAX, bigger plans for MIA.

Comment

Delta is quite obviously trying to hurt American - and in the current situation this makes sense.

Comment

Back in the early 80's National Airlines operated MIA-LHR (I'm thinking hard here!). People thought it would not make any money back then either.
          Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man. Landing is first.

Comment

Originally posted by ACheck View Post
            Back in the early 80's National Airlines operated MIA-LHR (I'm thinking hard here!). People thought it would not make any money back then either.
            National flew to Heathrow starting as early 1972 (one of the first, if not the first, US scheduled carriers to Europe other than TWA or Pan American). It was indeed something of a corporate ego-trip. The airline was acquired by Pan American in 1980 as a way to avoid the clutches of the Lorenzo/Texas International machine. The Pan Am/National merger was a disaster.

Comment

Working...
            X