Landing at Quito ... twice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landing at Quito ... twice!

Just wanted to share a few thoughts about Stefano's terrific IB A340 photo at UIO. Stefano, if you're reading this, please share any more thoughts you have (and hope you get the other photos in the sequence accepted!)

I doubt at first sight, you understand the magnitude of this picture. This A340, landed so hard it bounced back so so high, its reverses are already FULLY deployed, and its coming back down like a rock! Whats even more amazing was the pitch up this airplane took when falling back to the ground. Sequence 2/4. Excuse the poor lighting. EC-GPB. Airbus A340-313X. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

When I first saw this photo I thought, "A340 with reversers deployed before landing? ... only the DC8 and IL62 can do that?", but of course, Stefano's comment explained that; it must have been quite a heavy initial touchdown!

Of course, being so high above sea level, landings at UIO tend to be faster than normal and a faster landing means a higher final descent rate, but ay carumba! I can't help wondering if the crew on that aircraft feared that their aircraft might have ended up the same way as that 346 two years ago!

Interesting to see that the reverse of the two engines on the left wing, didn't deployed.

Regards
    A portuguese photojournalist living in Brazil.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose Luis Silva View Post
      Interesting to see that the reverse of the two engines on the left wing, didn't deployed.

Regards
      That was what I was thinking as well... Anyhow, the photo is marvelous and he was lucky to be there to see it!
      Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

Comment

Hey,

UIO can be tricky indeed. I was in UIO in July this year and it was a special approach and landing. The Captain did a good job. I was only the FO and hence not allowed to land there.
        The crews get a training mission in the simulator to familiarize with the airport. But still it is pretty difficult to land there.
        Awesome photo and captured at the right moment. 2 reversers open while still (or again) in the air... Thank god nothing serious happened there.

wilco737

Comment

Working...
        X