Sensational news reporting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sensational news reporting

Having just read on one of the stories reporting about the KHI IL-76 crash (27 Nov '10) I wonder if journalists should just give the facts instead of beefing the story up, if it takes just 5 lines to report the facts do it but don't try and fill your broadsheet with unnecessary crap, for instance -

The Russian-made Ilyushin IL-76 aircraft had been bound for the Sudanese capital Khartoum and had eight crew on board when it came down in the early hours of Sunday morning local time.
    Have you ever seen? The American-made Boeing 747 aircraft ....... or The French-made Airbus A320 aircraft.......

And then to go on......

Although the cause of the crash was not immediately clear, there is no suggestion so far that terrorism is involved.
    Last month packages containing bombs were found on two cargo jets in Dubai and Britain. The bomb intercepted in Britain on its way to America was designed to explode in mid-air and may have been targeted at the UK.
    so what, this does not appear to be the case here as somewhere I saw someone say the tower saw one of the engines on fire as it took off, even so the mention of key words like 'America' and 'Britain' and 'targeted' are just thrown in for good measure, and for what? to get the public fear factor up? to justify for extra charges for pax security? to line someones pocket for a loophole that might allay the general public to flying again?

I don't know about you but I think the news reporters have a lot to answer for when it comes to aviation security and 95% of it is totally unnecessary.

Agree 100% Cargo Runner. Pink Elephants will appear in my house before a Journalist reports the crash of "an American made Boeing". But for some reason these dimwits deem it necessary to point out that Ilyushins or Tupolevs are "Russian Made" every time one goes down. Perhaps someone should let them know the Cold War is over?

What's more their claim is not even true. The IL-76 was produced by the Soviet Union not by Russia. They were assembled in Tashkent (Uzbekistan) so maybe the Journalists should be blabbing on about "Uzbek made IL-76's"! However the Soloviev engines are made in Perm (Russia) and the aircraft was most likely designed in Russia. The parts probably came from all over the former Soviet Union and possibly other Eastern Bloc Countries.

Comment

I am, in no way, condoning how these journalists operate, but let's tackle a few things:

1). Where is your source for this information/article? It would help identifying the journalists and/or the publication.

2). Unlike Boeing and Airbus, Ilyushin brand name is not well recognized in this country (or, for that matter, in most Western nations) at all, save for the aviation community. Most people would not know where the aircraft was produced, and more over, would likely tag it as from another nation. The name of the company is one that could easily sound Chinese, of Japanese, or Korean, or Indian, or Vietnamese, or any host of nations. I also do not believe the that average journalist is well versed enough to have that bias yet (that western aircraft are superior - a bias that still persists in our community).

3). I completely agree with you on the point that the past example (of America and Britain) is suspect. They can perhaps ride the sentiment that 'they were reporting the last known, widely reported, aviation incidents" but even then, it would be half-hearted. Another sensationalist news crew...
      Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
        I am, in no way, condoning how these journalists operate, but let's tackle a few things:

1). Where is your source for this information/article? It would help identifying the journalists and/or the publication.
        Well it happens to be the The Telegraph in the UK - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ast-eight.html someone who you would expect knows better and appeals to a higher and broader minded person, or so I think anyway as it is not regarded as one of the daily rags in the UK anyway..... but of course as we are getting use to it, the papers here are mouth pieces for the Government and also for scaring the travelling public especially in the aviation World... very little on the ships and ferries that are in UK waters that use 'dirty' fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by Cargo Runner View Post
          Having just read on one of the stories reporting about the KHI IL-76 crash (27 Nov '10) I wonder if journalists should just give the facts instead of beefing the story up, if it takes just 5 lines to report the facts do it but don't try and fill your broadsheet with unnecessary crap, for instance -

Have you ever seen? The American-made Boeing 747 aircraft ....... or The French-made Airbus A320 aircraft.......
          If they really wanted to use up space then it would be the "The French/British/Spanish/German-made Airbus A320 aircraft"...
          Wonder what they'd print should something happen to an An-24 (probably say that was Russian too!)

Comment

Journalism and the news media as a whole is changing. The industry is transforming and they aren't too sure how things will fall and the right reaction. Online media and "multi-channels" are bringing the news down to not much more than a sound-bite. Too much info on a subject a person turns off. The "reporters" (journalism is largely dead, because people don't read their news like a journal anymore) - report an incident or story, but have to "compete" with other organisations doing the same thing, so your news has to be..."better". Better usually means more meaningful and impactful, whether its the truth or not.
            The 'Star ship Trooper" method of "Do you want to know more?" is inching its way in.
            Theres some good articles on the demise of journalism about...

Comment

Working...
            X