• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UA/CO cuts 500 CO HDQ jobs

Bad news at Continental's HDQ in IAH.
    The report is from Air Transport World.

February 8, 2011
    United Continental to cut up to 500 Houston jobs
    United Continental Holdings said on Monday said it would cut up to 500 jobs at the Houston headquarters of Continental Airlines, which merged in October with United Airlines (ATW Daily News, Oct. 4, 2010).
    The cuts would be management and salaried positions. UCH has about 6,000 such jobs and more than 80,000 employees worldwide, Reuters reported. Information was contained in a letter to the Texas Workforce Commission, according to press reports.
    Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man. Landing is first.

Are we surprised? I'd say, "No".

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
      Are we surprised? I'd say, "No".
      I was expecting that one too. This is United's trademark

Comment

Originally posted by saupatel View Post
        I was expecting that one too. This is United's trademark
        Well - American's, too, after the TWA merger.

Can anybody shed any light on the layoffs that came with the USAirways/America West merger and the Delta/Northwest merger? Would be interesting to know.

Comment

Can't remember any exact numbers from DL/NW merger, but they also had a couple hundred layoffs in managament positions.

Not that it is surprising though, management folks are usually among the highest-paid employees (aside from maybe high-seniority pilots), and the less overhead, the better.

Comment

Everyone in Houston knew this was coming.

No matter what the claims, it is United people running the airline, and they are going to get rid of everyone from Continental that they can. It's the Chicago way.

United will not last, they are the worst at just about everything; Continental was one of the best. So, to play on the title of a book, Continental went from first to worst. It is only a matter of time before United imploded, although I would expect Obama to bail them out since they are from Chicago and run by the Chicago machine.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER View Post
              Not that it is surprising though, management folks are usually among the highest-paid employees (aside from maybe high-seniority pilots), and the less overhead, the better.
              There is more than one level of management and quite often you have to be Senior Director or higher to get the great benefits and salary. A lot of "management" positions, given the hours or salary, are really not that great.

"Management" usually gets hit harder for lay-offs and pay/benefit cuts because they have no one representing them.
              Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man. Landing is first.

Comment

Working...
              X