Transaero considering switching B787-8 order to B747-8s or B787-9s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transaero considering switching B787-8 order to B747-8s or B787-9s

ch-aviation pro users have access to all exclusive ch-aviation news stories and any changes to airline route networks worldwide. If you are a ch-aviation pro user, please log in.

Transaero Airlines (UN, Moscow Domodedovo) has confirmed to ch-aviation that it no longer plans to take delivery of four early model B787-8s from Boeing (BOE, Chicago O'Hare) later this year as previously planned. According to the carrier's press office Transaero is in talks on "the possibility to switch its order" to additional orders for B747-8 aircraft or the B787-9 instead.
    “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Well, this seems to be the best chance in a long time (and possibly ever) that Boeing has to sell more 748i... UN already has them on order, though not sure if they've firmed them yet.
    Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

Comment

Great move on their part. The 747-8s are a welcome order, seeing that (despite the conflicting information) Arik Air is no longer going to be interested in theirs. They can pick up some of those frames (or order slots) easily. Going forward, they could own LH's 747-8s if ever they let them go.

But, let's be serious - there is not much of a future ahead for the 747-8i. I can perhaps, see the new platform for the VC-25s, but, at best - less than a dozen examples left to be sold.

Does anyone know what the 'break-even' point was for the 747-8 (to recoup marketing, research, et al)? I know it was low, because it built alot upon the 747's past research - but I wonder if they can break even on the project? It's possible, and perhaps with such low costs, they can come away with a small success.

Another question - would it be easy to convert a 747-8i to a 747-8F? If so, could these airplanes have a healthy and long second life as well with freighter carriers?
      Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
        But, let's be serious - there is not much of a future ahead for the 747-8i.
        Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

Comment

Working...
        X