Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Airways factoid

Because this is my 200th post I'm doing a special report on US Airways

All-American Aviation was founded on March 5, 1937 and first flight was on Sept. 13 1937. based in washington D.C. it operated mail service to small communities in Pennyslvania, Maryland, Delaware, West Virginia, and Ohio. all-American soon grew out of mail service and started passenger service on March 7, 1949 with war surplus DC-3's. in 1953 it changed it's name to Alleghany Airlines. Alleghany DC-3
    By 1959 the DC-3's had been retired and their succesors the Martin 202's were being retired. The CV-440's and other's replaced them. In 1966 Alleghany tookover Lake Central Airlines. In July 1966 the first jet was added a DC-9-14. In 1972 Alleghany took over Mohawk Airlines. the combined fleet had 102 jets not including turbo prop commuters. it wass carrying 10 million passengers per year and was the 6th largest airline in the U.S. it changed it's name to USAir in October 1979 and merged with Piedmont on August 5, 1989. Alleghany DC-9's

Piedmont Airlines was founded on July 2, 1940 as a parts and service center. In January 1948 it formed an airline division and on Feb. 20 it flew it's first services with DC-3's from Colonial Airlines. It rapidly grew and by 1958 had ordered turboprop Fairchild F-27's. By Dec. 1964 Piedmont had boarded it's 1 millionth passenger. Its first 737-200 flew on July 1, 1968. In 1968 Piedmont used NAMC YS-11's for services. In 1981 Piedmont developed hubs at Charlotte, North Carolina;Dayton, Ohio; and Baltimore, Maryland In 1984 the first Fokker F-28 arrived. In 1986 it added several carrirs as Piedmont Express carriers. In 1988 it was the largest operator of 737's and the 7th largest U.S. operator. On June 15, 1987 they launched transatlantic service with Boeing 767-200ER's. also in 1988 piedmont was launch customer for the 737-400.On August 5th 1989 the Piedmont name disappeared and it merged with USAir. USAir old colors
    In Feb. 1997 USAir was re-branded as US Airways but it's moronic and predatory Chairman Stepen Wolf. It's CEO Rakesh Gangwal was a puppet in the demented hands of Wolf. The "Wolf effect" raped the airline and after it's failed merger with United, Wolf and pawn bailed taking a substantial hunk of cash witth them and leaving US Airways for dead. sept. 11th pushed US Airways further towards death but in actuality it saved the airline because now it can reorganize under Chapt. 11. the new US Airways should be leaner and meaner. US Airways new color scheme

Thanks,

Joe,
    | My Photos | My Profile |

Comment

Wow, Greg, Thanks alot.

I always wondered why they had two hubs in the same state. Now I know.

Dave

Comment

Thanks Greg!

I have some questions/comments:

1 – Where does ‘Empire’ fit into this USAirways history (IF anywhere)???

2 – In 1995 or 1996, I saw a USAir television ad claiming USAir as the world’s largest airline in terms of number of flights operated per day. (I would assume they were including all of their regional brand flights). True? Or was I smoking' too much while visiting my friend Willie in Washington???
        JR FlyingTexan

Comment

Flying Texan:Piedmont bought out Empire Airlines on May 1, 1986. On Aug. 5th 1989 Piedmont became part of USAir/US Airways.

Source: Jet Piedmont.com/histroy Check out Jet Piedmont.com. This is a great website for all the Piedmont fans out there.

Comment

This is addition to the above report. I skipped some of the other carriers it merged with (there were quite a few) like I skipped Empire, Lake Shore, and PSA(those were the big ones there were small one's I skipped) Some of the routes they got through the mergers they don't use and some went to other airlines. USAir had a BWI to LHR(or LGW) flight but that went to BA after a marketing agreement. and they sold some of the other routes.

Comment

Working...
            X