Air Force Career

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Force Career

I know I am only 15, but I have some questions.... I would like to join the Air Force (USAF) after graduating high school, but my eyes are not 20/20. They are 20/20 with my contacts, but I have been informed I cannot become a fighter pilot because of the G-force involved. But what about other things? What about something like a Transport pilot or something? I would love a job with something to do to help me become a commercial pilot after i am finished. Does anyone have any information or suggestions? What jobs would help me acheive this? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

TurkPHL
    Turkish Airlines: Journey To Pleasure

Take a look at there site http://www.af.mil/ see what jobs you find

Thanks,

Joe,
    | My Photos | My Profile |

Comment

You will not get far as a military officer without a degree of some kind, hence I recommend you consider joining ROTC while in College. In fact I do not think the USAF recruits non-degree pilots as there are plenty to choose from that have the magic piece of paper. Secondly,consider laser surgury on your eyes to make them 20/20-this proceedure is widely available here for less than Cdn$1000 per eye. And if they don't ask, don't tell at the time of your medical. If your vision deteriorates once you are in the door, I think they still keep you on. I believe you can be a Warrant Officer chopper pilot in your Army. I just finished a 22 year career as an officer in the Canadian Forces(Army/Quartermaster/Airborne), and I honestly can tell you being a military pilot is not all it is cracked up to be. Yes you learn to fly, but all people fly later in their careers is a desk, so most leave and join the airlinesfor the big bucks. Visit your local Air Force recruiting office-they should be able to answer your questions
      ________
      BLONDE WIFE

Comment

Turk

All Air Force pilots with the exception of a few specialized mission pilots must have a college degree. Eighty percent of the college graduates who are accepted into flight training graduated from the US Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs. If you are serious about an Air Force flying career then you should shoot for entrance into the Academy. That gives you your best chance of flight training.

Depending on just how bad your eyes are you can still fly with contacts, though probably not in fighters or bombers. That still leaves transport aircraft open to you.

DO NOT under any circumstances get lasik or any other form of eye surgery to correct your vision. So far neither the Air Force or the FAA have approved those procedures for pilots. It's true that many pilots already working have had the procedures and just have kept quiet about it but their cases are different. In your case, before you are accepted to either the Air Force Academy or Air Force pilot training you will receive the most intense and comprehensive 2 day physical of your life. At that time any eye surgery you have had will be discovered and will be disqualifying.

If you are interested in the Air Force Academy then there are many things you should be doing right now. First and foremost, get your grades up and keep them there. (B+ average minimum.) Get in shape, you will have to take a fairly tough physical fitness test. Other things that will help you with entrance are participation in Varsity sports at school, membership in school clubs or the Boy Scouts, and finally because you must be appointed by a Congressman or Senator unless your father was killed in the service (which will automatically get you a Vice Presidential Appointment) then it's a good idea to become involved in local politics and make some connections. This can be done as a party volunteer or by joing a party youth club like the Young Democrats or Young Republicans. When you make your application to your Comgressman or Senator having letters of recommendation from local politicians who know and have worked with you will go a long way.

One other thing to keep in mind is that if you wish to apply to the Academy then you should apply to all of them. You can graduate from Annapolis or West Point and still choose to take your commission in the Air Force.

Even if you don't get into an Academy all the things you do to prep for application there will help you in a college ROTC program, which is the only other way to make it into Air Force pilot training.

Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
        X