Mexicana Flight 802 Over shoots runway at ORD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexicana Flight 802 Over shoots runway at ORD

As the title says it all. Mexicana Flight 802 over shoots runway 4R at ORD.
    http://abclocal.go.com/wls/index
    Note: to view correct video mouse over video in center and click the second one.

Always a great thing when a safety device works as intended.

Comment

I did not know that O'Hare has ones. I'm surprised. How many airports do have installed runway soft threshold already?

Does anybody know which airports they already installed?

Stuart

Comment

Originally posted by Big777jet
        I did not know that O'Hare has ones. I'm surprised. How many airports do have installed runway soft threshold already?

Stuart
        Ya I'm glad they did other wise from that runway they could have easly jumped the fence and ended up on the street.
        BTW: Thanks to who ever moved the thread. I wasn't sure were to place it.

Comment

Stuart

Quite a few airports....

Alternative to Disaster Short runways are an unavoidable problem when there is a shortage of land and it is not possible to have the standar...

I've seen the ones at BOS myself

Comment

YYZ needs this!

Comment

Does This Damage The Plane?

What does this do to the aircraft? Does it damage the tires, wheels, or landing gear?

Comment

The concrete surface simply crushes under the weight of the airplane, as if the plane rolled into a sand pit. The damage to the plane is less than what (otherwise) would occur if the arresting surface were not there.

Comment

Originally posted by Smilin_Ed
                  What does this do to the aircraft? Does it damage the tires, wheels, or landing gear?
                  No, not really damaged it just a mess and dirty from arresting pad area. It looks like wet cement when you drive a car and sunk into cement same idea. The arresting pad doesn't have wet. It just dry soft clay. You can drive around the arresting pad due limit weight. I'm not sure what weight will sunk into pad.

It helps aircraft to slow down and stop to avoid going to far out end of runway to prevent hit street or building surrounding area.

Sao Paulo Congonhas and Tegucigalpa have been failed without arresting pad. Two aircraft already run over the runway and hit impact. That's no good. That's why the reason they should have arresting pad in other countries who have shortest runway like St Maarten, Rio De Janerio Santos Dumont, etc... most other countries do not have those.

Stuart

Comment

YYZ doesn't have them installed, Dale?

Even SQL has them installed, and the biggest things we get are Kingairs and the lone Oracle CJ2.
                    sigpic
                    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Stuart
                      ORD was added after MDW's southwest overrun.

Comment

Where did they touch down to not be able to stop on an 8,000 foot strip?

Comment

Working...
                        X