QANTAS 2nd mid-air decompression: 738 door pop open in flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QANTAS 2nd mid-air decompression: 738 door pop open in flight

A Boeing 737-800 of QANTAS flying from Adelaide to Melbourne on Monday (Jul 28 ) evening had one of its doors popped open in flight about 10 minutes after take-off. The flight departed Adelaide at 18:08 (local time) for Melbourne and made an emergency landing back at Adelaide 37 minutes later because of the incident.

From Ming Pao newspaper in HongKong:

澳洲航空公司一架波音737-800客機因為機艙門打開,被迫緊急降落在阿德萊德機場。

據先驅太陽報說,該機周一晚上六時零八分從阿德萊德機起飛,準備前往墨爾本,但途中發生上述事故,在起機後卅七分鐘安全降落。

在三日之前,該公司的一架波音747-400客機身出了一個洞,被迫在馬尼拉降落,原因待查。
    Next:
    None Planned

Wow , QF not having a good run then ! cargo door or cabin door ?

Comment

wow, terrible events for Qantas!

Comment

Originally posted by CathayPacific
        2nd mid-air decompression: 738 door pop open in flight
        What decompression? I thought the second incident was just a gear door screwup? Is this a third incident or are you just assuming that the door problems was a door associated with cabin pressure?

Source for gear door incident
        interactive investor is a low cost, award winning, online investment platform enabling you to easily manage shares, funds, SIPPs, ISAs & more.

I am going to make an assumption myself, a gear door failure shouldn't normally cause decompression issues.

Comment

Originally posted by ATFS_Crash
          What decompression? I thought the second incident was just a gear door screwup? Is this a third incident or are you just assuming that the door problems was a door associated with cabin pressure?

Source for gear door incident
          interactive investor is a low cost, award winning, online investment platform enabling you to easily manage shares, funds, SIPPs, ISAs & more.

I am going to make an assumption myself, a gear door failure shouldn't normally cause decompression issues.
          I thought we are talking about the same incident. The media was initially making a big issue out of it may be because not a lot of info was available at first. Then later ABC talked about "a door above the wheels" so it was not sure if it's the gear door or not. If it's the gear door, then I think there shouldn't be decompression.
          Next:
          None Planned

Comment

I thought we are talking about the same incident. The media was initially making a big issue out of it may be because not a lot of info was available at first. Then later ABC talked about "a door above the wheels" so it was not sure if it's the gear door or not. If it's the gear door, then I think there shouldn't be decompression.

All gear doors on all 737's are mechanically linked to the landing gear, if the gear goes down the doors go down, if the gear goes up the doors go up, one cannot happen without the other. The cabin pressure will keep all other doors closed, as they need to open inward before they can open outward (plug type)

A Qantas spokeswoman confirmed that flight QF692 "performed a routine air-turn back … due to an indication that one of their landing gear doors failed to retract".
            "The aircraft (a Boeing 737-800) landed without incident and all passengers were accommodated on other flights. There was no safety risk at any time," she said.
            There is no door indication system, landing gear doors do not "retract"

Somebody seems to be confused my moneys on the MEDIAhttp://forums.jetphotos.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=482305#

Comment

According to this website the aircraft in question is a 763. Has a few more gear doors than a 738.

Cheers,
              Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne blessent mon coeur d'une langueur monotone.

Comment

Originally posted by Will M
                Wow , QF not having a good run then ! cargo door or cabin door ?
                neither, a gear door. Depending on who you listen to, 767 or 737.
                A 767 would show a warning light for the gear door, main or nose.
                Correct me if i'm wrong some one but, a 737 has no main gear doors, so must have been a nose gear door, no big deal.
                You are right though, Charlie Q are not having a good run.
                I remember how they laughed when Ansett had the nose landing gear incident on their 747.
                You cant have the best virtual airline in the world without the best people. Ansett Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by Tucsonman
                  Correct me if i'm wrong some one but, a 737 has no main gear doors, so must have been a nose gear door, no big deal.
                  I remember how they laughed when Ansett had the nose landing gear incident on their 747.
                  The 737 has main gear doors, they are attached to the struts. There is no door over the tire.

Comment

Originally posted by Tucsonman
                    Correct.
                    The nose gear doors have a light to indicate the doors are not in the position selected by the gear handle. If the main gear is up, lights out, the doors mounted on the gear are assumed to be closed.
                    Don
                    Standard practice for managers around the world:
                    Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

It definitely was a B767-300, VH-OGK. There was no decompression, but the pilots restricted the speed of the aeroplane to avoid tearing the door off its hinges. I have not confirmed it, but I believe it was a main gear door.

Comment

Major non-event. Gear Disagree EICAS, non-normal checklist carried out, aircraft returned to the departure airport.

We can't cough at the moment without the media finding someone who thought they were going to die.

Comment

It is a major non-event....since the 747 incident, it looks like some News.com reporters have been trolling the ATSB website looking for ANY past Qantas incidents and bringing them back to life. The QF737 with the reserve tanks switched off happened over a year ago! This 767 returning to base after a door malfunction is absolutely a non event but when the media are making it ride on the back of the 747 incident, they will use it for sensationalism.

Unfortunately facts dont really get in the way!

Comment

What really bugs me is,that on the morning it was reported Channel 7 said it was a B767 but they kept showing a 737, like the video footage was of the actual aircraft with a still shot of the front wheels of I think another aircraft. They even interviewed some engineer from Perth, and I was hoping he would point out the misleading footage. Then on my way to work 3AW radio said it was a 737.Can they get the facts right.Uggggh!

Comment

澳洲航空公司一架波音737-800客機因為機艙門打開,被迫緊急降落在阿德萊德機場。

據先驅太陽報說,該機周一晚上六時零八分從阿德萊德機起飛,準備前往墨爾本,但途中發生上述事故,在起機後卅七分鐘安全降落。

在三日之前,該公司的一架波音747-400客機身出了一個洞,被迫在馬尼拉降落,原因待查。
                              You don't say?

Comment

Working...
                              X