Helicopter 'crash' near Brighton, UK South Coast resort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helicopter 'crash' near Brighton, UK South Coast resort

A small helicopter, possibly a Robinson (see photo), made an attempted emergency landing/crash landing beside the busy A259 Coast Road from Brighton to Newhaven.

The accident happened this evening about 17.30 local and both the pilot and the passenger managed to walk away from the wreckage, well maybe scramble as the chopper came down on a hedge/garden fence.

The area has been preserved for the AAIB to carry out an investigation on Tuesday.

The chopper could have taken off from nearby Shoreham Airport and was flying East when the accident happened. Shoreham has been trouble with crashes and problems in the last year, including the death of a pilot taking part in the reconstruction of the Battle of Britain display and the Owners of the airport going into administration.

Is this a service we can request? A helicopter's rotors would save me having to go and trim the hedge...

Seriously though, glad both walked away.

Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by sjwk
      Is this a service we can request? A helicopter's rotors would save me having to go and trim the hedge...

Seriously though, glad both walked away.

Steve.
      Knowing the area pretty well I think they had to make a choice of landing on top of the cliff or dropping like a stone and ending up in the drink which would have required the coast guard helicopter from Solent (India Juliet) or the Sussex Police helicopter (Hotel 900) to fish them out, so given the choice I think they took the leaser of two evils.

Comment

I think it is a Hughes/Schweizer 300 ????? correct me guys if that is wrong

I live practically on top of the airfield at Shoreham and as was mentioned by our friend...instant choice of where to dump it was needed! Those cliffs are pretty high there...i know where i would drop it...

Mind you if you have ever seen Dennis Kenyon doing his display in a 300 you would think it was going to fall out of the sky having lost its rotors due to the nature of his routine...lol Top display pilot!!!

Comment

Working...
        X