Mid-Air Collision - UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid-Air Collision - UK

A Cessna 402 and a microlight have collided near Coventry Airport, killing all on board both aircraft:
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Very sad news. Mid-airs are my biggest fear.

I wonder how this happened though. I've never sat in, much less flown, a C402, but from the outside it looks like that nose could possibly block quite a bit. That wouldn't account for complete disintegration of the "microlight" though, unless the speed difference was that large, so maybe the "microlight" was blocked from view by an engine or a wing in an almost ideal position. As it got closer, it was still blocked until it was too late. Then, of course, there's always the possibility that one or both of the pilots weren't paying attention, but I'm not going to assume that.

All this is pure speculation, as I've got nothing better to do this morning.

Comment

Current reports say that the Cessna was on a normal approach and that the microlight was hit at a 90 degree side on angle, effectively what motorists know as a "T Bone" impact.

Speculation on the cause should not really be made until the UK AAIB and CAA have completed their investigations.
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

It was not a microlight, but it was a small kit plane, a mini type of piper, wings, cockpit, engine on the front, proper tail..... not some guy in a seat with some fabric above him microlight.

Reports say both took off earlier in the day from Coventry and both had been in touch with ATC on their return, the small plane was in the circuit for an approach and the Cessna apparenty given cleanance for a straight in land, so a 'T-bone' crash is quite possible.

Still sad news and it is reported that there were 3 pilots on board the Cessna as well... condolences of all.

Comment

Working...
        X