Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TSA goof grounds American Eagle ATRs

link
    Nine American Eagle airplanes were grounded Tuesday after a TSA inspector, conducting an overnight security check, used sensitive instrument probes to climb onto the parked aircraft at Chicago's O'Hare Airport, aviation sources tell ABCNews.com.

A TSA official confirmed the incident.

At least forty regional commuter flights were delayed throughout the day, according to American Airlines. "We think it's an unfortunate situation," American airlines spokesperson Mary Frances told ABCNews.com.

The TSA agent, as part of spot inspection of aircraft security, climbed onto the parked aircraft using control sensors mounted on the fuselage as handholds, according to a TSA official in Chicago, Elio Montenegro.
    Apparently he used a TAT probe as a hand or foot hold.

Idiots. Why don't they just stick to throwing away water bottles, and asking if you have a laptop in your carryon.

Also, where did you get the idea these were ATR's? AA only has ATR's at MIA and SJU, and pic in the article is of Saab 340's taken in 2001. These were probably ERJ's or CRJ's.

Comment

Here's a novel idea for the TSA: Secure the airport perimeter and look for trespassers! Aircraft are easy to climb into. That's why airports have fences and security.

Comment

Grrrrrrrr they make me angry as well

If there is one particular group of people in this industry that REALLY annoys me, it is those TSA *****'s. The majority do not hold background checks that would allow them into most European airside locations let alone US locations. Their training is brief regardless of what anyone else tells you, in this industry knowledge is gained by experience and experience is gained by length of time and unusual circumstances.

I really hope that AA has the balls to sue the TSA and put them in their place for once.

Off one soap box and onto another one now-

Glad to see that the 'old' BAA is going to be told to sell off two of it's three London airports (STN, LGW & LHR) rumors running around suggest that Ryanair boss, O'Leary is interested in STN while the owners of MAN are very interested in getting their hands on LGW. Whatever happens, both these airports will not be able to do much for the run up to the 2012 Olympics in London as the BAA made sure any plans were not in place for expected movements, but on the reverse LHR has hit a major 12 month set back with its new East Terminal by announcing a couple of weeks ago the new terminal WILL NOT be ready for 2012. Grrrrr off that box as well now.

Comment

Originally posted by Cargo Runner
          ..... rumors running around suggest that Ryanair boss, O'Leary is interested in STN ....
          Well, if we're talking about competition, there's no way the competition authorities would an allow an airport to be owned by its major operator. The idea is absurd.

So, while it may be a good idea in principle to have wider ownership of airports, substituting one large corporate owner for another is not going to make a whole lot of difference.

Comment

And yet the TSA wonders why they have a bad rep :rolleyes: .

Comment

Kind of reminds me of this other self-appointed “governmental” “expert”.
              #DOGECOINThis has to be the dumbest thing I have evr seen a cop do. That is saying a lot (thanks chocogirl105).For those who may think it is not realsnopes.c...

At least the cop only shot himself. It sounds like this TSA agent could have possibly compromised a sensor; and if he did it could’ve theoretically ended in the loss of an entire flight; aircraft, crew and passengers.

I find it often self-appointed “experts” and government appointed “experts” often make good examples of what not to do. I think many government workers and political activists are often counterproductive.

What next; start using pitot tubes for coat and hat racks?

Safety is not an accident.

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
                Idiots. Why don't they just stick to throwing away water bottles, and asking if you have a laptop in your carryon.

Also, where did you get the idea these were ATR's? AA only has ATR's at MIA and SJU, and pic in the article is of Saab 340's taken in 2001. These were probably ERJ's or CRJ's.
                Whoops, you're correct, the type of aircraft wasn't specified. I don't know where I got ATR from.

Comment

Originally posted by alanh
                  linkApparently he used a TAT probe as a hand or foot hold.
                  They made the same "mistake" 9 times... That is gd ridiculous. My respect for these people go down everyday.

Comment

Working...
                  X