Zest Air Accident - Caticlan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zest Air Accident - Caticlan

It appears to be a MA-60(?) that has landed short of the runway injuring 25.

It was an MA-60

Comment

It's always amazed me that with the frequency of largish (ATR, Dash 7, etc.) aircraft running into that 2,600ft runway that there's never been a serious accident there. This one definitely had the potential; by the sound of things, they're very lucky nobody was hurt worse than they were! Unfortunately the same can't be said for the brand new MA-60 that looks to be a writeoff.
      Trump is an idiot!
      Vote Democrats!!

Comment

That's kind of a neat picture...

"Open your door...THERE'S A PLANE!"
        My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Cam View Post
          That's kind of a neat picture...

"Open your door...THERE'S A PLANE!"
          At John Travolta's house that is a reality.

Comment

Bizzare

Wikipedia states a Zest Air MA60 already written of at Caticlan. Was this another one, or do they know something no one else does?
            The only reason I looked is I did'nt have a clue what an MA60 was. Looks Russian though..............

Comment

^Yes, based on the An-24.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike L View Post
                Wikipedia states a Zest Air MA60 already written of at Caticlan. Was this another one, or do they know something no one else does?
                The only reason I looked is I did'nt have a clue what an MA60 was. Looks Russian though..............
                I never heard of it before either... it's Chinese apparently.

Comment

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Comment

That cockpit looks horribly old fashioned and second generation to me for what is supposed to be a new and current plane. The old Boeing 734 has better navigational equipment than that, and that was discontinued 10 years ago! I can see now why they crashed short of the runway. They had crap old fashioned equipment.

Comment

So the "crap old fashioned equipment" is the definite cause?
                      You do have to realize that the Chinese might not have the access to the same type of equipment that western nations have. What they have is suitable for what they deal with.

Anyways, it's a shame to see another aircraft down. Just glad to know that noone was killed.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotgolfer View Post
                        So the "crap old fashioned equipment" is the definite cause?
                        I wouldn’t be surprised if that was one of the findings in the investigation report. It isn't even equipped with weather radar. The pilot could easily have flown into windshear and not been any the wizer.

You do have to realize that the Chinese might not have the access to the same type of equipment that western nations have. What they have is suitable for what they deal with.
                        Do you seriously want me to believe that the Chinese couldn’t pick up a phone and call Garmin or any other good avionics manufacturer and import good modern technology? Sure, sure it might add a little more to the price tag, but you also have a safer plane.

Comment

Of course it's second generation. The key is the price. I guess you could get 2 MA-60's for the price of a Dash-7 or other Western equivalent. Go back 30 years, the third world was full of Soviet built transports with 1950/60's avionics. They did a fine job, at a fraction of the cost. In the next 10 years substitute Xian and Shenyang for Antonov and Ilyushin. The difference will be that they can and will be fitted with modern Western avionics if the customer wants to pay

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf123 View Post
                            I wouldn’t be surprised if that was one of the findings in the investigation report. It isn't even equipped with weather radar. The pilot could easily have flown into windshear and not been any the wizer.

Do you seriously want me to believe that the Chinese couldn’t pick up a phone and call Garmin or any other good avionics manufacturer and import good modern technology? Sure, sure it might add a little more to the price tag, but you also have a safer plane.
                            The MA-60 is fitted with a WXR-350 weather radar, so I'm not sure where you got your "It isn't even equipped with weather radar' statement from.

The avionics are new products from Honeywell, Universal and Collins. Again, your information seems to be from an incorrect source.

Comment

I got the info off their website.

Comment

Working...
                              X