"Drunk" Pilot Sparks Revolt on Flight to New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Drunk" Pilot Sparks Revolt on Flight to New York

It is normally a moment of cheery reassurance when an airline pilot greets passengers during preparations for take-off. But Alexander Cheplevsky sparked panic on flight Aeroflot 315 when he began to speak.

His slurred and garbled comments ahead of a flight from Moscow to New York convinced passengers that he was drunk. When he apparently switched from Russian into unintelligible English, fear turned to revolt.

Flight attendants initially ignored passengers' complaints and threatened to expel them from the Boeing 767 jet unless they stopped "making trouble". As the rebellion spread, Aeroflot representatives boarded the aircraft to try to calm down the 300 passengers.

One sought to reassure them by announcing that it was "not such a big deal" if the pilot was drunk because the aircraft practically flew itself.
    Source and full story.

Yet another reason for me to hate making PAs...

Comment

Oh come on, it's a Russian pilot flying for Aeroflot. What's the big deal?

If anyone is doing FUI (Flying under influence), I'd take a Russian pilot, who's more experienced than anyone else in this matter.

Comment

Originally posted by avro_arrow_25206 View Post

If anyone is doing FUI (Flying under influence), I'd take a Russian pilot, who's more experienced than anyone else in this matter.
        America West came close.

Comment

Originally posted by avro_arrow_25206 View Post

It wouldn't be the first time!.... Happened summer last year:

TWO pilots have been spared jail after they were found to be over the legal drink limit for flying aircraft when they turned up for an early morning flight at Manchester Airport. Russians Captain Mikhail Danilstsev, 47, and co-pilot Andrey Lyubimov, 56, were caught after a security officer smelled booze on their breath as they got off a bus.

Comment

Isn't that a requirement to get a licence in Russia?
            My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

There’s a good chance the following is an untrue (Cold War propaganda/tale/joke) urban legend.

Allegedly much of the Soviet aviation industry uses grain alcohol for some applications of hydraulic fluid. Allegedly the ease of access to such pure and potent alcohol is too much of a convenience and temptation for many and enable their alcoholism. Allegedly the problem is more prevalent in remote dry (without alcohol) areas. Allegedly the problem is most prevalent in the military or remote outposts.

Comment

Working...
              X