Two classic enforcer aircraft suffer accidents in Colombia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two classic enforcer aircraft suffer accidents in Colombia

Two military converted DC-3 suffered accidents two days apart...

At 3:10 PM yesterday a Basler BT-67 of the Policia Nacional de Colombia (Colombia National Police) was torn apart because of an explosion that came from the inside, as the plane was parked at the ramp of the regional airport Enrique Olaya Herrera (EOH) in Medellin. The plane is registered PNC-0211. First reports indicate that a gas grenade that was transported by one of the officers blew up starting a chain reaction; a terrorist attack or an accident while refueling where ruled out according to a high ranking officer. 8 young policemen where injured and taken to a nearby clinic. The terminal was closed for aproximately 30 minutes. (I did the summary from articles in eltiempo.com and elcolombiano.com)

This is the plane in a photo by my good friend Santiago Escobar

[photoid=6130024]

Here are two pics of the plane after the explosion (from elcolombiano.com):

The other plane was a AC-47T Fantasma which crashed 5 miles from the runway of the Colombian Air Force base of Palanquero. The aircraft was on a training flight, did not report any problems to the ATC. It caught fire when it crashed and because of the ammo that it carried burned for 3 hours according to reports from locals. The cause of this crash is yet unknown but in this one an attack is also ruled out.

The "Fantasma" (Ghost) is an enhanced plane with modern avionics, cannons and FLIR system. The registration of this plane wasn't disclosed as far as I know but here is a photo of the type by fellow south american spotter Orlando Suarez

[photoid=6462916]

Originally posted by alwaysconcorde View Post
    Two military converted DC-3 suffered accidents two days apart...

At 3:10 PM yesterday a Basler BT-67 of the Policia Nacional de Colombia (Colombia National Police) was torn apart because of an explosion that came from the inside, as the plane was parked at the ramp of the regional airport Enrique Olaya Herrera (EOH) in Medellin. The plane is registered PNC-0211. First reports indicate that a gas grenade that was transported by one of the officers blew up starting a chain reaction; a terrorist attack or an accident while refueling where ruled out according to a high ranking officer. 8 young policemen where injured and taken to a nearby clinic. The terminal was closed for aproximately 30 minutes. (I did the summary from articles in eltiempo.com and elcolombiano.com)

This is the plane in a photo by my good friend Santiago Escobar

[photoid=6130024]

Here are two pics of the plane after the explosion (from elcolombiano.com):

The other plane was a AC-47T Fantasma which crashed 5 miles from the runway of the Colombian Air Force base of Palanquero. The aircraft was on a training flight, did not report any problems to the ATC. It caught fire when it crashed and because of the ammo that it carried burned for 3 hours according to reports from locals. The cause of this crash is yet unknown but in this one an attack is also ruled out.

The "Fantasma" (Ghost) is an enhanced plane with modern avionics, cannons and FLIR system. The registration of this plane wasn't disclosed as far as I know but here is a photo of the type by fellow south american spotter Orlando Suarez

[photoid=6462916]

The Basler will be fine mate, bit of fencing wire, some hundred mile an hour tape and a new paint jo and they'll get another 50 years from it

Comment

Working...
    X