Northwest 747-400 encounters turbulence, 30 injured, 2 serious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northwest 747-400 encounters turbulence, 30 injured, 2 serious

A Northwest Airlines Boeing 747-400 aircraft flying from Manila to Tokyo with 408 passengers and 14 crew on board encountered turbulence about 30 minutes before arrival at NRT. 30 people were injured, including 2 with serious injury. The aircraft has landed at Narita.

source: http://www.mpinews.com/htm/INews/20090220/ta51330i.htm
    Next:
    None Planned

Clear air turbulence? I wonder how many crew was injured.
    "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

Northwest Airlines B747-400 hit by severe turbulence over Tokyo

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Another reminder of the importance of having your seatbelt on whilst seated, as we are always kindly reminded of by the cabin crew after take-off.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
        http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7900892.stm

Another reminder of the importance of having your seatbelt on whilst seated, as we are always kindly reminded of by the cabin crew after take-off.
        A very sad reminder of how powerful turbulence can be. I believe the article said the seat-belt light had only been on for about 1-2 minutes and the plane encountered severe turbulence as the plane encountered severe turbulence. I agree that all passengers should keep their seat-belts on when seated. The articles says that when the plane hit turbulence several passengers when thrown upwards into the roof, I can only imagine what a terrible experience that must have been. I'm glad that no one was seriously injured.

However, this incident kind of makes me upset at the people on planes who completely disregard the safety instructions. I have even seen several passengers not even wearing their seat-belts when my plane was landing, so going so far as to unbuckle their seat-belts once the flight attendants finished checking.

Rohan

Comment

Originally posted by rohank4284 View Post
          A very sad reminder of how powerful turbulence can be. I believe the article said the seat-belt light had only been on for about 1-2 minutes and the plane encountered severe turbulence as the plane encountered severe turbulence. I agree that all passengers should keep their seat-belts on when seated. The articles says that when the plane hit turbulence several passengers when thrown upwards into the roof, I can only imagine what a terrible experience that must have been. I'm glad that no one was seriously injured.

However, this incident kind of makes me upset at the people on planes who completely disregard the safety instructions. I have even seen several passengers not even wearing their seat-belts when my plane was landing, so going so far as to unbuckle their seat-belts once the flight attendants finished checking.

Rohan
          Yeah, like one flight I was on where a woman spent pretty much the whole flight kneeling faced backwards in her seat since I guess her kids or whatever were sitting behind her. Completely clueless, as to what would happen if the plane were to suddenly hit CAT and drop a bit.

Comment

The great pity is these morons are not just doing themselves a disservice, they can become lethal projectiles in their own rights, thus injuring others in the cabin.

Comment

Originally posted by SYDCBRWOD View Post
              The great pity is these morons are not just doing themselves a disservice, they can become lethal projectiles in their own rights, thus injuring others in the cabin.

They had plenty of time to put their seatbelts on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SYDCBRWOD View Post
                And the problem is not confined to air travel. It never ceases to infuriate me when I see young children in a car, not strapped in. I want to go up to the parents, shake them ask "would you place your best china, unsecured, on the back seat of your car and then drive it?"
                Yet another AD.com convert!

Comment

This is very scary! It's so easy to keep your seat-belt fastened when you're seated...I really wonder why people don't do this, especially as they're asked to do so repeatedly on most flights. Just fasten it and forget about it. What is the problem?

As safe as flying is, you're basically still up in the middle of the air inside a projectile that's subject to external forces. Some people seem to think they're in their living rooms.
                  Former member of AirDisaster.com

Comment

Personal pet peeve, people who refuse to wear their seatbelts during flight. If I'm not up to use the washroom, I'm strapped in. Period. Rather not crack my head or break my neck during turbulence!

Comment

Originally posted by YULchick View Post
                      Personal pet peeve, people who refuse to wear their seatbelts during flight. If I'm not up to use the washroom, I'm strapped in. Period. Rather not crack my head or break my neck during turbulence!
                      Very smart move.

The number of people that don't understand that you are seated or standing in on place because you are moving at the same speed as the aircraft is amazing. Or that an aircraft is capable of moving vertically at velocities strong enough to throw them off the floor or drive you into it. The average person has never felt much more or less than 1 positive "G" and has no idea of what can happen when the velocity of the aircraft changes rapidly.
                      Don
                      Standard practice for managers around the world:
                      Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Originally posted by YULchick View Post
                        On a trip to the cayman Islands a long while ago (BA 777) we skirted round the edge of a Hurriaince over Cuba.

The aircraft has stopped over in the Bahamas and 5 mins into the remaining flight to Cayman the pilot said that there would be no drinks serivce due to the weather he had to navigate around.

I could see the massive front as we approached Cuba, we went through the very edge of it. A stewardess was walking the cabin checking everyone had their belts on. Just as she passed me and my family the plane dropped. Nothing like the 744 mentioned here, but enough to put her into the ceiling. She was ok, just shook up.

From that day, some 10 years ago I NEVER have my belt off unless moving around the cabin.
                        Lee "Shaggy" Shand

Comment

Working...
                        X