No announcement yet.

Recent Icelandic Volcanic Eruption Shuts down UK Airspace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BA are currently conducting a test flight out of LHR, over Ireland and landing back at Cardiff (Wales)....

Comment

KLM got permission for three commercial cargo flights this evening, the first two have just departed from EHAM.

Comment

I hope they get it sorted out soon. Even being primarily a glider pilot I wouldn't enjoy a powerless 767. I'm betting we have a long way to go with this volcanic activity.

Comment

interesting: although german airspace was oficially closed until 8 p.m. local time, there were sone landings on Condor 763 and LH Cargo MD11 in Frankfurt around noon. In addition to that, radarbox detected this evening (which I in fact saw a Cargolux 744 close to Frankfurt airport in FL 410.
          on the one hand EDDF is closed, on the other hand (little) traffic although the (claimed) danger of the ashcloud.
          Ciao,
          Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
            interesting: although german airspace was oficially closed until 8 p.m. local time, there were sone landings on Condor 763 and LH Cargo MD11 in Frankfurt around noon. In addition to that, radarbox detected this evening (which I in fact saw a Cargolux 744 close to Frankfurt airport in FL 410.
            on the one hand EDDF is closed, on the other hand (little) traffic although the (claimed) danger of the ashcloud.
            From what I heard is that VFR flights are allowed. So send the airplanes VFR through Germany. No problem. I heard that one MD11 came from HAM. One other did a flight from FRA-IST-FRA and now is being checked, but so far no findings.
            2 MD11s are expected from KJA tonight and 2 more tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by WILCO737 View Post
              From what I heard is that VFR flights are allowed. So send the airplanes VFR through Germany. No problem. I heard that one MD11 came from HAM. One other did a flight from FRA-IST-FRA and now is being checked, but so far no findings.
              2 MD11s are expected from KJA tonight and 2 more tomorrow.
              these flights were allowed until ~ 8.30 p.m. local time. within 15 minutes 2 CFG 763, one A320 and A320 departing partly to Kuba and Domenican Republic. After take-off they were instruced by Langen Radar to maintain VFC (not IFR). Interesting also that there were the "simulated" ILS approaches" instructed to the landing a/c. as approach said, today were a lot of weired instructions

but VFC at FL 410?
              Ciao,
              Jason

Comment

Originally posted by pdeboer View Post
                KLM got permission for three commercial cargo flights this evening, the first two have just departed from EHAM.
                One went to BKK and one to TPE but I didn't see the 3rd one leave yet...

Comment

these flights were allowed until ~ 8.30 p.m. local time. within 15 minutes 2 CFG 763, one A320 and A320 departing partly to Kuba and Domenican Republic. After take-off they were instruced by Langen Radar to maintain VFC (not IFR). Interesting also that there were the "simulated" ILS approaches" instructed to the landing a/c. as approach said, today were a lot of weired instructions

but VFC at FL 410?
                  I just checked the rotation of all our MD11Fs. 2 landed within the 8:30pm limit and only one landed later, which came from KJA. All other MD11Fs are still on the ground, ALA, ORD, CUR, FRA, VCP etc etc...

I don't know about the Cargolux, but VFR at FL410 is not allowed. I guess it was some other flight with a special permission of the authorities.

Comment

Originally posted by ATFS_Crash
                    Let’s not let the quote from the above test lull us into a false sense of security. Let’s not forget the airliner that received severe engine damage and wind screen damage and was barely able to land safely years ago. Let’s not forget the story below.

Finnish F-18(s) engines damaged by volcanic dust. (IIRC in areas where there were no visual or radar indications of volcanic dust. At least one aircraft and probably several aircraft had their engines damaged during this one exercise)
                    Source and full story.

Not that I’m saying that commercial flights have to remain grounded indefinitely. Apparently this volcanic dust often cannot be detected on radar and often cannot be seen visually with the eye while flying. So apparently the danger is not easy to detect. While probably most flights would probably go off without a hitch, they’re probably still is a significant risk. So it might be much like playing Russian roulette.

What could probably be done that would still be risky but would probably lower the risk enough that there would likely be little damage and reduce the chance or amount of lives and hull losses. They might be able to use/modify daily meteorological data and radioactive fallout software that was designed to predict probable fallout travel and dissipation.

The question is “how much risk is the public willing to take”? How much damage to aircraft and how much risk are airlines willing to risk? How much risk is the general public willing to take? I think it’s a safe bet that if an airliner is lost and if there are lives lost that there is going to be a lot of backlash and the general public will probably be demanding “why were planes allowed to fly?”. So your danged did you do; and danged if you don’t.

Also note that the article that canair67 posted called jet engines; “motors”.

While the terminology is not entirely wrong, it's not what I would expect. What do you think the reaction would be if I called a jet engine mounted on a nacelle an "outboard motor"?
                    I don't write it. I just posted it!!
                    Who's on first?..........

Comment

I just checked the rotation of all our MD11Fs. 2 landed within the 8:30pm limit and only one landed later, which came from KJA. All other MD11Fs are still on the ground, ALA, ORD, CUR, FRA, VCP etc etc...

I don't know about the Cargolux, but VFR at FL410 is not allowed. I guess it was some other flight with a special permission of the authorities.
                      This was the only A/C with vapour trails near EDDF. therefore I checked apparently the LH MD11s' do not send ADS-B signals?

What might be the reason for a special permission to fly FL 410 in a (declared) potentially dangerous airspace?

may I ask you if you are stuck and if yes where?
                      Ciao,
                      Jason

Comment

This was the only A/C with vapour trails near EDDF. therefore I checked apparently the LH MD11 do not send ADS-B signals?

What might be the reason for a special permission to fly FL 410 in a (declared) potentially dangerous airspace?

may I ask you if you are stuck and if yes where?
                        The LH MD11s do not send ADS-B.

I don't know for any reason, but I don't know about the airspace structure there. The upper airspace in northern Germany is done by Maastricht. Maybe they have something to do with it.

Yeah, I am stucked as well, but I am pretty lucky as I am in Curacao, Netherland Antilles. I can think of worse places to be stucked

Comment

The LH MD11s do not send ADS-B.
                          thanks

Yeah, I am stucked as well, but I am pretty lucky as I am in Curaco, Netherland Antilles. I can think of worse places to be stucked
                          Indeed, it could have been worse.

it seems that the 24 hours from throttle to bottle will end only in a couple of days, so I hope you can enjoy a cold Heineken.
                          Ciao,
                          Jason

Comment

thanks

Indeed, it could have been worse.

it seems that the 24 hours from throttle to bottle will end only in a couple of days, so I hope you can enjoy a cold Heineken.
                            We have 12 hours from bottle to throttle And it looks like we depart here on Tuesday afternoon and land in FRA on Wednesday morning.
                            And btw: there are better beers than Heineken
                            For tonight we are heading out and enjoying the warm island. Such a lovely place to be

Comment

We have 12 hours from bottle to throttle And it looks like we depart here on Tuesday afternoon and land in FRA on Wednesday morning.
                              And btw: there are better beers than Heineken
                              For tonight we are heading out and enjoying the warm island. Such a lovely place to be

I know - just had vacation in the carribean 5 weeks ago lucky you. so no reason for the cargo division to go on strike .
                              heineken, becks - at the end of the day same thing (company). after the third beer it does not make any difference anyway.
                              happy landing in FRA - if I have time and you control the radios, I might hear you .
                              Ciao,
                              Jason

Comment

here is an informative report on Volcanic Hazards and Aviation Safety:

It mentions (on page 3) that repair costs to an ash damaged 747-400 cost $80 Million and that was 21 years ago .

Comment

Working...
                                X