• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
    Economy Class:

(...)

What bugs me about your posts is a tone of "why didn't they just......"
    3WE - there is a tone of "why didn't they just......" in almost every post that EconomyClass puts on here

Comment

• Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
      Will they ever get faster than this? Is the air traffic control chatter recorded? Its kind of surprising that details are so hard to extract even under the best of circumstances.
      I think when it comes to aircraft accident investigation it's way more important to be thourough than fast...

Comment

• To Peter K. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Comment

To Peter K. Yadda, yadda, yadda.
          Add me to that list. The thinly veiled implied accusations that everybody in the aviation industry is a moron is wearing a bit thin.

Additionally, you claim to work in IT, yet 95% of the things you ask could be answered with around 5 seconds spent on Google.

Comment

To Peter K. Yadda, yadda, yadda.
            Hehehe... that's about the substance I have come to expect from you, EC

Originally posted by SYDCBRWOD View Post
            Add me to that list.
            What list, SYDCBRWOD?

Comment

• Judging from the post-crash wreckage field, it seems clear that this a/c comprehensively destroyed (except for the rudder section)

Was the a/c really in the landing phase when it crashed, i.e. flying at a slower speed? Compare with UA232 Sioux City many years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZK-OKH View Post
                Adnkronos reports that the plane, should be 5A-ONG, exploded right 1 meter above the runway! Is this possible?? A terror attack?

For what I know the ash is not arrive there yet, anyway I guess that problems linked with ash cloud are not going to put in troubles plane during the approach but a higher altitude.

It is hard to understand how the local authorities ruled out any possibility of terrorist attack BEFORE gathering all the facts. It's unbelievable.

Comment

• Maybe it is just me, but in the absence of flight recorder and cvr data, all of the coulda'/shoulda speculation is tiresome. Nonetheless, it seems that things went to hell in a handbasket very, very quickly, and I'll throw in my 2 cents and risk the wrath of the experts of this forum.

After looking at the passenger videos of landings at that airport and the accident pictures, the debris shows not only were they short but they were off course of the runway centerline. Any pilot in that situation would attempt a course correction and would have been making the landing visually at that point. When that became dicier, they may have attempted a hasty go around in a large sweptwing aircraft visually into limited visibility with extreme sunglare reported by another flightcrew losing track of a decaying condition in their sinkrate and altitude. Perhaps things were further complicated by an improper configuration of the power and flap settings for the GA maneuver and they may have had a wingtip strike terra firma as they instinctively puilled back on the yoke prior to impact which would have tightened the turn towards what appeared to be the runway heading (not considering wind components), perhaps cross controlling aileron and rudder to desparately level the wings having the effect of increasing the sinkrate as in a slip. The laws of momentum of said heavy object in a descending motion will win out over engine power and aerodynamics in such a situation, as many a helicopter pilot or stunt pilot will attest to (ask that lucky USAF Thunderbird F-16 pilot whose ejection was so amazingly caught on video a few years ago). Finally, one has to wonder what their fuel situation was and if there's any chance that they might have experienced a slushy fuel problem as happened to the B. A. crew's 777 into London a few years back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crunk415balla View Post
                    Well seeing as the accident just happened a matter of days ago...

Anyway, very tragic. The loss of life is such a shame, I hope the investigation comes to light quickly.
                    Thanks for your reply
                    I hope so

Comment

• Originally posted by MCM View Post
                      EC,

Its very difficult to land on a runway if you can't see it!

The only time you can use the instruments for navigation until touchdown are on specially approved ILS approaches, and with the autopilot engaged, of which this was not one.

Landings are most definately done by vision. 95% of them at least.
                      Thank you for this information
                      Hoping we recieve any update data for this accident

Comment

• Originally posted by TUNISAIR745 View Post
                        Tragic news ...

A brand new airbus A330 crashing after not even a year of it's delivery date...
                        We're gonna start asking questions about this plane's safety (after the AF disaster)
                        Anyways it's not a new "Air france like" story, we're not going to look for a "shoe in an ocean", answers will come fast this time
                        Hoping to get any new news

Comment

• Does this not feel like an unusually long time not to hear anything given the boxes were recovered straight away?

C

Comment

• Coincidences

I overheard some pilots at my local airport the other day talking about this incident and they seemed rather skeptical about it being a "strait forward" CFIT event. One of them said that the incident aircraft was the exact same plane that had repatriated Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi, the "Lockerbie Bomber", from the UK in 2009. Is that true, can anyone confirm this? I also noticed that the crash happened approximately 1yr after Megrahi's second appeal hearing, which eventually led to his release.

A few coincidences then???
                            Last edited by Django; 2010-07-20, 05:44. Reason: Spelling and grammar!

Comment

• That sounds bonkers. Is the plane cursed?

Comment

Is the plane cursed?
                                Perhaps someone wanted it to be!

Comment

Working...
                                X