Another 787 Fire this time at LHR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
    Today I read a report that an ANA 787 had a problem with wiring in a system to put out fires and found similar problems in two other 787s. The fire extinguisher controls for the left and right engines were crossed.
    ...causing JAL to recall a Tokyo-Helsinki flight that had already departed.

In the event the flightcrew needed to extinguish a fire in one engine, the crossed wires would have caused the extinguisher in the other engine to be activated.
    That's not a good idea!

Comment

Boeing's explanation is what?

Comment

Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
        Boeing's explanation is what?
        I've heard of this happening on both Boeing and Airbus aircraft - here is an AD issued in Australia with Boeing comment:

I recall that there was an 737 accident in Europe where cross wiring was a cause but can't find a source.

Comment

Manufacturing fault or maintenance fault?

Comment

Elts?

what is ELTS please?

Comment

Originally posted by Jingogunner View Post
              what is ELTS please?
              See the link in post #72 for a good explanation.

Comment

Mmmm, I think these 2 incidents follow the expected tech issues on many other types so should not be used to trash the 787, but I know some will....

Japan Airlines says it has turned around two of its Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft during flights due to technical problems.

This on the other hand:

Not a risk to passengers, but I bet the thought of a plane falling apart in flight does little to build confidence.

Again, not the first time a wing fairing has detached and unlikely to cause a problem unless it wraps itself badly around a stab.

I would love to see the many people who slagged off Airbus designs to use this to just moderate and balance their perceptions a little.

Designing beyond existing technology is not easy, despite all the computers and experience, there is only one way to achieve great results and that is to push ahead aggresively.

Comment

Originally posted by Highkeas View Post

Repairs nearing completion
                  http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/awx_11_26_2013_p0-640968.xml

Comment

• Ethiopian maybe gets a xmas gift, http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...istmas-394089/
                    "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

• Back into the air, http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...repair-394401/
                      "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

• From today's AIAA newsletter

UK Aviation Agency Says Faulty Wiring Likely Led To Dreamliner Fire.
                        Reuters (6/18, Scott) reported that the UK Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) said on Wednesday that the July 12, 2013 fire aboard a Boeing Dreamliner at London Heathrow Airport was likely caused by faulty wiring in a locator beacon, which resulted in an uncontrollable discharge from a battery. The AAIB issued five recommendations that the FAA could integrate in regards to lithium batteries on aircraft, which echoed comments that the NTSB made in May.

Comment

• AAIB Report

AAIB report released today

I've not read it yet but reportedly fire caused by short circuit.

Comment

• Yep:
                            Originally posted by AAIB report
                            It was identified early in the investigation that ELT battery wires, crossed and trapped under the battery compartment cover-plate, probably created a short-circuit current path which could allow a rapid, uncontrolled discharge of the battery. Root Cause testing performed by the aircraft and ELT manufacturers confirmed this latent fault as the most likely cause of the ELT battery fire, most probably in combination with the early depletion of a single cell
                            Sounds like whoever installed the battery couldn't spend the extra 5 seconds necessary to ensure the wires were positioned properly.
                            Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

• The LHR fire fighting crew had difficulty in finding and fighting this fire.
                              The report says this about the crew and an inflight ELT fire (Page 39):

25) In the event of an in-flight ELT battery fire, detecting the fire and
                              locating its source would be challenging for cabin crew, due to the
                              inaccessible location of the ELT in the cabin.
                              26) In the event of an in-flight ELT battery fire, fighting the ELT fire and
                              any subsequent structural fire would be challenging for cabin crew
                              due to the inaccessible location of the ELT in the cabin.

And from page 42:
                              The cabin crew would then have to stand on a seat, or an
                              arm-rest, to aim a fire extinguisher at the source of the fire.

In my opinion the ELT has design deficiencies and inadequate quality assurance provisions (e.g. A post assembly x-ray or n-ray inspection could possibly detect the trapped and crossed wires).

The report says (page 1:
                              "Despite the degree of damage observed, the fuselage skin had not been
                              breached by the fire."

But would the skin be breached at flight level due to pressure differential? Especially considering empennage forces.

It seems to me that the ELT access and/or location needs to be improved (not just for safety but also maintenance).

[As an aerospace engineer reports such as this make me aware of design and QA issues with applicability to other applications.]

Comment

Working...
                              X