This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEN-EWR, EWR-DEN on UA flghts 750 &731

Well it looks like it's time for another flight review. This one will encompass my recent trips on United Airlines from Denver to Newark and from Newark to Denver. The main reason my mom and I went on this trip was to see my uncle who lives in North Arlington, NJ, just outside of Newark and to have an opportunity to see the Big Apple. Don't worry, I know the report is a little detailed, but there are pleanty of photos below.

Why I chose United and other possible choices:

My family and I are UA Mileage Plus members and we had a ton of UA miles left over from our LH trips to India, so we bought our tickets with miles. The only other airline serving the DEN-EWR route was Continental Airlines.

Flight #1 (DEN-EWR, UA flight 750)

Date: Friday, January 9, 2009
    Cabin: Economy, seat 19E
    Actual Departure: 1:31 pm (Scheduled 12:19pm)
    Actual Arrival: 6:52 pm (Scheduled 6:08pm)
    Aircraft: Airbus A319
    Registration: unknown, it was in the old UA livery. I would be happy if someone could find it
    Departure Gate: Concourse B, Gate B33
    Arrival: Terminal A, Gate A17

Weather in Denver and Newark that day:
    Weather in Denver: overcast skies, mid 40s (Fahrenheit)
    Weather in Newark: extremely cold, occasional snow, high wind gusts (25-45 mph), high 32 degrees.

Check-in:

For this flight I used United Airlines' Easy Check-in Online feature. The online check-in process was relatively easy. One thing I liked about UA was that the airline allows you to choose your seats at the time of purchase, thus you only have to confirm your seats when you check-in online. Why can't British Airways adopt this system!!! Anyway, the process was really easy to use and it allowed you to pay your bag fees on-line with a 20% discount. So my mom and I carried one bag each ended up paying $24.00 for the bags.

At Denver International Airport it was nice to see that UA had set up special UA Online Bag Check kiosks, so you could go and check-in really quickly. One thing that many people forget, is that after 9/11 all major US airports require your bags to be checked-in 45 minutes prior to departure. This is to allow the TSA adequate time to screen baggage.

Back to my trip, the man at the counter was very nice and checked our IDs and our baggage and we were on the way.

Experience at Denver International Airport:

Overall, I liked the check-in areas at DIA as they were plenty of counters and the area appeared to be very spacious. After check-in we went straight into the main area of the Jeppensen Terminal.

I always am amazed by the stunning architecture in this area. It really gives the airport a massive and open feeling.

A wikipedia.org photo of the Jeppensen Terminal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:De...t_terminal.jpg

About an hour before departure, we headed downstairs to the South Security Station. The security waits were hardly two minutes, the staff was pretty friendly, and it was nice to see that the US government finally decided to change the uniforms to a nice, new light blue color. Of course, I had to go through the usual hassles of security like taking out my laptop, any medications, toiletries, and my shoes.

Once we cleared security we were on our way to the train. I like how the train has nice sound effects like bells and whistles. I also like the nice rotating fan display outside the train. Basically, there are a thousand small siliver fans and when the train passes them they rotate giving a nice blurred sensation to the passengers.

Here's a cool link explaining about that piece of art: http://www.flydenver.com/guide/art/installation.asp

The underground tram took about 3 minutes to get to Concourse B, once outside we got on the escalator and passed below a large white UA canopy with stained glass. Concourse B usually has some of the best shops in the airport and the gate areas were very spacious.

A photo of the United Airlines Canopy at Denver: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:UnitedDenver.jpg

Unfortunately, our flight got delayed due to the 40mph winds in the New Jersey area and I used the time to surf the internet on the airport's free wifi connection. The UA gate agent provided frequent updates on the delay and seemed to be apologetic so it wasn't all that bad.

Denver International Airport Rating: 4.4/5

The Boarding Process:
    UA boards by seating areas 1,2,3, and 4 and the process was very smooth. The only thing that was annoying, was finding space for my carry-on as the overhead bins were full of heavy and oversized carry-ons. Guess, this is the major consequence of those ridiculous baggage fees.

The flight:

Once we were seated the pilot came on the PA system and apologized for the long delay, but said that we had good news because of the 100 knot tailwinds our flight time to NJ would be only 2 hours 54 minutes (typical flying time of 3.5 hrs). He also said that we would be expecting some heavy turbulence once we approached the NY/NJ area and that Channel 9 would be turned on, so we could listen to Air Traffic Control.

Afterwards, we pushed back and the IAE V2500 engines were started and we spent about 15-20 minutes taxing to runway 16L/34R, the runway had just recently been reopened after the CO 1404 flight incident. Unfortunately, there were about 3 UA planes ahead of us, so we had to wait. Once it was our turn the engines roared and we had a very powerful take-off. The engine noise was pretty loud until we reached our cruising altitude of 34,000 feet.

Overall, the flight was very smooth until we reached New York area where we faced heavy turbulence on the descent. Due to heavy traffic we had to be put into two holding patterns and we finally got clearance to approach runway 4R/22L. The approach was extremely bumpy and the pilot had to perform a crab-landing, a typical approach in heavy cross-wind landings, but we touched down fairly smoothly on the runway and had some super-heavy braking. We finally reached our gate at 6:52 pm NJ time and the crew once-again apologized for the inconvenience.

Cabin Crew, IFE, Food, Beverages, and Service:

On this flight we had 3 F/As, all of whom were male. There were two F/As serving the main Economy/ Economy Plus cabin. After take-off, the head F/A announced that there would be four snack boxes for sale and that non-alcholic beverages were free.

As soon as we reached our cruising altitude the beverage service began and the IFE was switched on. I don't remember the name of the movie, playing on the overhead screens, but it was some stupid drama about a husband and a wife who didn't get along, but the husband died and the wife realized how much she loved him. Thankfully, the headphones were free!

The crew came around with a beverage service and I got a SmartPack snack box for US$6 and a full 12oz can of Coke. The snack box was pretty good as it had a pack of baked bagel chips with dip, cashew crunch bars, a pack of applesauce, and an excellent flaky cookie. The crew came around twice with trays of water and just before our approach into Newark they came around with a second beverage service, I had a glass of milk.

Comfort and Condition of the plane:

The plane was relatively new looking, but it was annoying to see that some of the armrests and sidewalls were a little dirty. In addition, my tray table was broken and it took a lot of effort to get the tray table to lock back into place.

The blue seats were new, had headrests, and the legroom was average. Like most airlines' economy classes, it was annoying when the person in front of you reclined their seat. The seat was comfortable enough to get some sleep and there were blankets and pillows available for free on request. UA's economy class, wasn't spectacular, but it was certinly more comfortable than that of AA, US Airways.

United Airlines also offers an Economy Plus section, which gives passengers 35" pitch seats, everything else is the same, including the seat width. Economy Plus upgrades cost $59 for my flight, but I declined.

Baggage Retrieval at Newark Airport:

Once we landed we taxied to gate A16 and within 5 minutes we were off the plane. Unlike the recently improved Terminal C, Newark terminal looked abit old and very gray, however, the terminal and restrooms were clean. It was nice that the signs were easy to follow.

The baggage claim was a short walk from the gate and we had to wait about 20 minutes for our bags. The baggage claim area looked really old with large circular flourescent lights and my bag came about 20 minutes later. I was a little surprised by the slowness of the baggage, as at most airports the bags will start come out about 15 minutes after the plane disembarks. Another weird thing was that people with oversized bags had to wait for a UA employee to unlock the room where their bags were held. Many people were waiting over 45 minutes! Wonder, why Newark airport can't just have a separate carousel.

Newark Airport Arrival Rating: 3.5/5

Flight Ratings:

Cabin Crew: 7/10
    IFE: 6/10
    Comfort:7/10
    Condition of the plane: 7/10
    Food (Snackbox for purchase): 8/10
    Selection of free beverages: 8/10
    Aircraft Rating (Airbus A319): 9/10

United Airlines Star Rating for this flight: 2.9/5

Overall, I would call UA an average US domestic carrier, as the airline offers few ammenities and even though the service was pretty good, there was nothing really special about flying UA. Personally, I hate checked bag fees, you should get one checked bag for free! However, this is common on most US carriers, with the exception of Southwest Airlines, so I can't really hold that against UA. UA, isn't a bad carrier and if the price was good, I would recommend UA to anyone.

Some General Information about UA, if you want to skip, go ahead:

Company check-in baggage policy: $15 first bag, $25 second bag each way. On-line: $12 first bag, $25 second bag each way.

Snack Box link: Here's the UA website page displaying the contents of the four snack-boxes of flights over 3 hours in length. UA also offers A la Carte snacks (Twizlers, M&Ms, lays stacks, almonds,etc.) for US$3.00 on flights over 1.5 hours in length and fresh food for $9 on flights longer than 5 hours.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51257,00.html (I bought the SmartPack on this flight and it was pretty good!)
    http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51284,00.html (Fresh food menu)

Photos:

An old picture I had of DIA Concourse A, UA's Concourse B is similar looking:

Sorry for the bad quality of the pictures. The weather was really overcast and it messed up my photos. I used a Canon Rebel XSI with the 18-55mm lens in Manual mode, shutter speed 1/60 focal length 5.6. If anyone, could offer some pointers to shooting in those conditions I would be happy. The Concourse was shot really quickly on a Canon Powershot A540 so sorry about quality there, too.

Note the flight review for UA flight 731 is coming soon!

This is my second flight review and I hoped you enjoyed reading. As always, questions, comments, or helpful tips to improve are appreciated!

Regards,

Rohan

Flight Review of United Airlines 731

Hello once again,

Here's the flight review of the return flight from Newark(EWR) to Denver(DEN) on United Airlines flight 731.

Flight #2: UA 731 (EWR-DEN) taken on Sunday, January 18, 2009
    Class: Economy, seat 17B(middle)
    Aircraft: Airbus A319
    I know some of you can read ACARS information, so if someone could tell me the registration, I would really appreciate it.
    Actual Departure from EWR: 9:45 AM (Scheduled 9:50 AM)
    Departure Gate: Newark Liberty Int'l Airport Terminal A, Gate A16
    Arrival into DEN: 11:50am (scheduled: 12:10pm)
    Arrival Gate: Denver Int'l Airport, Concourse B, Gate B52

Weather Conditions:

Newark: heavy snow in the morning, high 32 degrees Fahrenheit

Denver: bright sunny, few clouds, winds around 5-10mph, high temp: 62 degrees!

Check-in:

Unfortunately, my uncle only had 56K dial-up internet connection, so I couldn't use on-line check-in for this flight. We arrived at Newark Airport at about 7:45 am and it was annoying to see that the baggage porters were all huddled inside the doors, leaving people to carry their own luggage inside. Anyway, the UA check-in in Terminal A was big and spacious with lots of Easy Check-in kiosks, so my mom and I only had to wait a few minutes. The kiosk was fairly easy to use, as we entered our confirmation number went through the necessary steps and checked-in our bags for a fee of $30.00. Darn! Oh well, a few minutes later a female UA representative weighed and tagged our luggage and performed the routine ID check and we were on our way.

Security at Newark:

Newark's terminals are kind of funny in that there are 3 separate security areas, each one right after the other. On this morning only security A1 was open and we had to wait about 10 minutes. Security was the usual hassle of removing shoes, laptops, cell phones, medications, etc. However, the TSA staff was very nice in helping people with their stuff and moving things along.

Newark Airport Departure Gates:
    After security it was only about a 5 minute walk before we reached the departure gates. Terminal A looked kind of old, but it was nice to see that there was a gift store, Starbucks, a Relay convience store, and a TGI Friday's, right next to the UA gates (A14-A17). My mom and I bought a bottle of water, a coke, and killed some time at the Friday's. Afterwards, we headed towards gate A16. The gate areas at Newark were pretty spacious and the windows didn't have any horrizontal pillars, which made taking pictures of aircraft very easy. Terminal A could easily be very good, if it were renovated and if they changed the dull gray color scheme of the terminal. As I mentioned before, the restrooms were in good condition and there were pleanty of departure info. screens around the terminal.

Newark Airport Departure Rating: 3.7/5

Boarding:

Our plane arrived into the gate early and the UA gate staff did an excellent job keeping passengers informed of the boarding times. At about 9:25am boarding started with first class and Star Alliance gold and silver passengers and continued with Economy Plus/Economy seating areas 1,2,3,4. Since we had seats 17B and 17C we boarded with the seating area 3 passengers. Despite the best efforts of the gate agent, the overhead bins were stuffed to the brim and I had to put my carry-on seven rows in front of my seat.

The flight:

The pilot came on with a few announcements and informed us that our flight time would be about 3 hours 35 minutes to Denver and that we should be arriving into Denver early. Our plane was de-iced once we had pushed back and the it was time to listen to the engines being started up along with the annoying "barking" sounds of the PTU. We taxied approximately for 15 minutes before roaring down Runway 4R/22L. The take-off was extremely powerful and a little loud. The initial climb out of Newark was really bumpy and it took us about 30 minutes to reach FL380. UA's Channel 9 was turned on during this flight so I was pretty happy. Once we reached our cruising altitude the plane quieted down significantly ad the IFE was turned on. Overall, the flight was very smooth, until we had a very bumpy descent into Denver because we were vectored towards the Rocky Mountains and then into the airport. I believe we landed on Runway 17L/35R, the landing was very smooth, followed by some heavy braking. Once we cleared the runway we made a few turns and in about 10 minutes reached our gate.

Cabin Crew Service, IFE:

The cabin crew consisted of two female F/As and the head F/A was a male. After, take-off the head F/A announced that first class would receive a full meal service and the main cabin (Economy Plus/Economy classes) would have four snack boxes for sale and a wide range of free beverages. Once we reached our cruising altitude the flight attendants came around offering snack boxes for purchase and five minutes later, the F/As came around with the drink cart. Throughout the flight the fight attendants came around with a bottle of water and glasses. I believe they came around every 20 minutes. About 30 minutes prior to our descent into the Denver, the F/As brought the drink cart around again.

The cabin crew was excellent, as they were very smiley, pleasant, and efficient in handling their duties. It was also nice to see that the head flight attendant actually greeted the passengers as they entered the plane. The staff were all were groomed and it was nice to see that none of them were wearing those ugly dark blue cotton sweaters.

The IFE consisted mainly of overhead LCD screens placed every few rows. A movie was shown, I don't remember which one, and an episode of NBC's Chuck was shown as well.

I again bought the SmartPack snack box, which was pretty good, for $6.00. I had two cups of water, a Coke, and Black Tea from the beverage cart.

Comfort and condition of the plane:

The Airbus A319 was really new looking and very clean. The Economy class seats on UA are pretty comfortable, but they could always use some more legroom. Headphones were provided for free and blankets and pillows were available on request. Unfortunately, with our flight being a morning one, the cabin crew quickly exhausted their supply of about twenty blankets and pillows.

Flight Ratings:

Cabin Crew: 9/10
    Comfort: 7/10
    Food (Snackbox for purchase): 8/10
    Selection of Free Beverages: 8/10
    Condition of Plane: 10/10

Final United Airlines Star Ranking: 3.2/5

Overall, I found United to be a decent legacy carrier offering a few amenities and decently good service. However, the airline's cost-cutting practices are really apparent, so your experience on UA will depend a lot on the service. That being said, I believe that the overall experience of flying UA beats that of flying NW, AA, and US Airways. However, UA isn't nearly of the caliber as the best US carriers, such as, Southwest, Jet Blue, Continental, and Delta (domestic only, their international service isn't that great)

Airbus A319 Aircraft Rating:

The Airbus A319 is part of the Airbus A318/319/320/321 family of small passenger aircraft. This line of aircraft all feature common cockpits and compete with the Boeing 737-500/700/800 and Boeing 757-200 series respectively. The Airbus A320 was originally delivered in 1988 and features a complete fly-by wire cockpit. The Airbus A319 is slightly smaller than the Airbus A320 and its direct competitor is the Boeing 737-300/700 series.

Overall, I found the A319 to be a pretty nice aircraft. The overhead bins had a curved shape and the cabin was pretty spacious. Like most short-haul passenger aircraft the layout of the Airbus A319 was 3-3, so sitting in the window seat might be a little uncomfortable. The Airbus A319 generally has wider seats, 18" in economy, than the Boeing 737's 17" seat width, so the aircraft wins points for the extra comfort. Some airlines offer PTVs on their A319s, however, on the UA A319s there were only LCD screens every few rows.

The noise level of the Airbus A319 wasn't bad, but it was pretty noisy during the take-off and the climb. Overall, I find the Boeing 737NGs to be a little quieter and they tend to handle turbulence a little better than the Airbuses. The Airbuses have very flexible wings, which cause the aircraft to tend to bobble and shake a lot even in mild turbulence.

Overall, I liked the Airbus A319 and appreciate its spacious cabin. If the plane were a little quieter and able to handle mild turbulences more smoothly, it would have received a perfect score. Overall Aircraft rating 9/10

Now, the good part! The Photos:

The gate area at Newark Liberty Airport:

Another UA Airbus A319 going to Chicago O'Hare being de-iced:

The plane that would later take me to Denver pulling up the gate:

Another shot of our plane pulling up to gate A16:

Final Thoughts:

Well, I think the photos from Newark turned out a little better than the one's from Denver and I hope you enjoyed reading my flight review. As always, any comments or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

No responses to my flight review

Hello,

Wow, over a 100 views, yet no responses. Is there anything wrong with my flight review??

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

Just because there's no replies doesn't mean there's something wrong with it, so don't worry about that.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotgolfer View Post
          Just because there's no replies doesn't mean there's something wrong with it, so don't worry about that.
          Thank you for telling me that. Going back over my flight review, I realized that some parts were too long and not clear, so I edited out a lot of junk. Hopefully, the flight review is better now. Did you by any chance, read my review?

Rohan

Comment

Great flight review!Sort of sad that the flights have to be over 5 hours for a meal service,on US it has to be over 3.5.
            August 29th will be the worst day of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingKing77 View Post
              Great flight review!Sort of sad that the flights have to be over 5 hours for a meal service,on US it has to be over 3.5.
              Thank you for the nice compliments. Yeah, I know United Airlines is kind of annoying in that they only offer snack boxes for purchase on flights longer than 3 hours and only offers fresh meals for purchase of flights longer than 5 hours. I completely agree, United should be like US Airways and Delta, which offer fresh meals on flights longer than 3 hours. The snack boxes weren't bad though.

Thank you,

Rohan

Comment

Originally posted by rohank4284 View Post
                Hello,

Wow, over a 100 views, yet no responses. Is there anything wrong with my flight review??

Regards,

Rohan
                Rohan,

I have a suggestion (and this goes for everyone, not just you). I think it would be better to only make trip reports either if something out of the ordinary took place or if the trip itself was out of the ordinary (Exotic airline and/or destination, unusual aircraft etc). There is simply nothing interesting about a routine flight from DEN to EWR and back on a UA A320. Who hasn't seen a UA A320? Who hasn't seen snow and ice in DEN in the winter? The problem with your report (and many others) is that there is nothing compelling about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spad13 View Post
                  Rohan,

I have a suggestion (and this goes for everyone, not just you). I think it would be better to only make trip reports either if something out of the ordinary took place or if the trip itself was out of the ordinary (Exotic airline and/or destination, unusual aircraft etc). There is simply nothing interesting about a routine flight from DEN to EWR and back on a UA A320. Who hasn't seen a UA A320? Who hasn't seen snow and ice in DEN in the winter? The problem with your report (and many others) is that there is nothing compelling about it.
                  Hello,

Ok, I understand your suggestion and see where it's coming from. I guess flight reviews about US domestic flights can sometimes be boring, mine may be too, but I hadn't seen a UA flight review in some time, which is why I posted it. Would pictures of my trip in New York helped make the report more interesting???

As for the snow and ice, surprisingly it wasn't in Denver, it was Newark! I hope you can see where I was coming from as well. There hadn't been a UA review in some time, I actually had a good experience on UA, and I thought it might be interesting to post one typical domestic flight review, as this forum is dominated by one's about international trips in first and business class, which many JP.net members and just regular people in society would have a difficult time affording such a trip!

Your post has lead to me ask this question: Are most US domestic trips unwelcome in the flight review forum?

What exactly do you consider a compelling report? An international one, one on a new carrier, etc.

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

Originally posted by rohank4284 View Post

Your post has lead to me ask this question: Are most US domestic trips unwelcome in the flight review forum?

What exactly do you consider a compelling report? An international one, one on a new carrier, etc.

I thought I was pretty clear. My apologies is my post was beyond your level of comprehension.

Comment

Good flight review there Rohan, and don't feel discouraged to post more reviews. You may not get any replies but it's still good to post them anyway. Not all of us are frequent flyers and so most people, like me, always learn something about an airline, or an airport or something else which I haven't experienced. Now I may not reply all the time (in fact I don't), but I still enjoy reading reviews, especially detailed ones. Good information for us not-so-frequent flyers.

Comment

Don't listen to Spad.I posted my US Airways flight review because no one posted one of US for a long time.And what would be a Exotic airline?British?Cathy?Air Jamica?And hes rude too.I bet ur posts aren't any different!So don't go around telling people what type of posts they should be typing.Anf fyi,its called the flight review,I don't see any title called"Has to be exotic or it won't be excepted" title.Do you?

Comment

Oh yeah,for some people(not the rich people)we don't get to fly that much.Sometimes I get to fly 3 or 4 times a year.Other times I don't get to fly at all.Get with the times.

Comment

Rohan,

A very interesting and informative review. Thanks for sharing.
                            It gives, people like me, who's never had a chance to fly any US carrier, a pretty good idea of what flying domestically in the US looks like.

Yet, I have one question: what is a seat pitch in a regular Economy section? Is it 31-32" or 28-29"?

Regards,

Michal

Comment

Originally posted by SP-LCC View Post
                              Rohan,

Yet, I have one question: what is a seat pitch in a regular Economy section? Is it 31-32" or 28-29"?
                              economy plus 35-36"
                              standard economy 30-31"
                              Robin Guess Aviation Historian, Photographer, Web Designer.

http://www.Jet-Fighters.Net
                              http://www.Jet-Liners.Net

Comment

Working...
                              X