Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tomcat flys last combat mission

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Irfan
    Bye. My favourtie naval fighter airplane. They should give them to another country's airforce or something.
    no, they can give them all to me, I'll put them in a good home.


    Bruno, want a cheap F-14 for your front lawn?
    Christian Vlček Sullivan | Through The Fence Photography
    Forever New Frontiers

    Comment


    • #17
      If me, it will be my everyday "car".
      Irfan Faiz Nazerollnizam. Computer geek and gamer

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Irfan
        Bye. My favourtie naval fighter airplane. They should give them to another country's airforce or something.
        This would be a bad/poisonous gift as the aircraft is pretty sophisticated and requires lots of maintenance. Probably not a good idea for airforces accustomed to F5s or even F16. These airforces would also have to set up the position of radarist/gunnery engineer from scratch.
        Alain
        Thanks for visiting
        *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
        *JetPhotos*
        Airliners*Pbase.com

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Top_Gun
          no more F-14's period, land or carrier based.

          There are some Hornet units which are land based. Only Tomcat's that will be left are gate guards or the graveyard at DM.....
          How come they'de never modified or come up with a a newer batch of the tomcats ?
          Inactive from May 1 2009.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by MaxPower
            How come they'de never modified or come up with a a newer batch of the tomcats ?
            The JSF and super hornets are your answer.

            Comment


            • #21
              Yup, the cold war is over and money is more important than capibility. Its a same such a nice aircraft has to go but theres not much that can be done now. At least the cat gets a partial replacment, the A-6 got none at all.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by MaxPower
                How come they'de never modified or come up with a a newer batch of the tomcats ?
                They did. Back when the F-14s were new, they flew the F-14A series with TF30 engines which had a lot of problems. In the mid 80s, the Navy began modifying the F-14s to the F-14B/D series or the "Super Tomcats" which maintenaince was 50 times easier then the F-14A series and less manpower. But still the Super cats requires at least "50 maintenaince hours per 1 flight hour." On average, just for an engine overhaul and complete build up will take half a month per engine for the F-14B/D series. I'm talking with 3-4 crews per 8 hour shift, we're looking at 24-32 maintenance hours per shift, so it cost so much to keep them airworthy. I'll be sad to see them go.

                Regards,

                Kevin - Felix Rules!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by gocaps16
                  Kevin - Felix Rules!
                  I saw that in you sig before (think it was your sig), were you a part of the Tomcatters at some time?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by gocaps16
                    They did. Back when the F-14s were new, they flew the F-14A series with TF30 engines which had a lot of problems. In the mid 80s, the Navy began modifying the F-14s to the F-14B/D series or the "Super Tomcats" which maintenaince was 50 times easier then the F-14A series and less manpower. But still the Super cats requires at least "50 maintenaince hours per 1 flight hour." On average, just for an engine overhaul and complete build up will take half a month per engine for the F-14B/D series. I'm talking with 3-4 crews per 8 hour shift, we're looking at 24-32 maintenance hours per shift, so it cost so much to keep them airworthy. I'll be sad to see them go.
                    Oh holy mogly! I didnt know it required that much of manhours on those engine overhauls !

                    Did they only modified the cats once since the mid80's (from F14A's - F14B/D's) ???
                    Inactive from May 1 2009.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by MaxPower
                      Did they only modified the cats once since the mid80's (from F14A's - F14B/D's) ???
                      seems like it,
                      http://www.f-14association.com/history.htm

                      I wasn't sure myself.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X