C-5 down at Dover AFB, DE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seventwo
    ...and FOX said the C-5 was the biggest plane in the world!
    It was at one time.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

still the biggest in US Inventory isn't?

Comment

wow, I wonder what caused it to crash.

Comment

Wow, glad no one was injured, just look at that.

Comment

It'll be interesting to learn the technical details of the crash- latest from CNN said a flame-out in the #2 engine is what prompted the C-5 to try for an emergency landing, not sure why it didn't make it though. Even a C-5 should be pretty flyable on 3 engines, right? (Yes, I understand being loaded with cargo and fuel probably makes things more difficult, but still...). And why is the tail section so far from the rest of the a/c?

Glad no one was killed though.
            When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.
            -Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

wow...thats one big crash. Glad no one was injured
              Canon 20D & BG-E2 Grip
              EF 50mm 1.4 USM
              EF-S 18-55mm
              EF 28-135mm IS USM
              EF 70-200mm f4L
              EF 100-400L IS
              1.4X II Teleconverter
              Canon 420EX Speedlite
              Canon 430EX Speedlite
              Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod

David Wilson | Through the Fence Photography

Comment

I cant wait to see the NG's Recontruction of this accident. I cant figure out why the C-5 was beheaded, as I dont see any particular objects that could behead the plane anyway. I dont know, Im just curious.
                Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
                  I cant wait to see the NG's Recontruction of this accident. I cant figure out why the C-5 was beheaded, as I dont see any particular objects that could behead the plane anyway. I dont know, Im just curious.
                  Simple guess...

Since it crossed that road, through a fence, and spun 90 degrees... Id say there was a lot of force on the joints of the plane, where this frame snapped. But that is just my guess...

Comment

Originally posted by seventwo
                    ...and FOX said the C-5 was the biggest plane in the world!
                    At airshows they claim its the biggest plane in the "Free World".

Anyway, I'm glad no one died, it could have easily ended the other way.
                    sigpic
                    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

The impact must have been horrible to experience that kind of force, being slammed on to the ground that hard that it snapped the neck on that thing. Crazy ! This could have been more worse. But thank god, everyone is alive.

Comment

Since the plane is positioned that way I wonder if they actually lost control and crashed or decided that they wouldn't make the runway and set it down.

Comment

Good question. From the overview pic, it is hard to see if the plane slided at all. If anything, there appears to be a slide area to the left of the plane, indicating that it actually landed short of the runway.

Comment

as I understand it, the airplane was trying to land on the runway in view, so it wouldn't have crossed that road yet.

Comment

Why did this aircraft failed to fly solely with the rest of the engines. ?

Now I'm curious. A #2 engine failure won't cause a crash. There must be more to the story.
                              Last edited by MaxPower; 2006-04-05, 00:28.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
                                Now I'm curious. A #2 engine failure won't cause a crash. There must be more to the story.
                                Theres always more then one thing wrong when an aircraft goes down.

Comment

Working...
                                X