Thanks for your apology, Pat Robertson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for your apology, Pat Robertson

He took the liberty of apologing for his comments about calling for the ASSASSINATION of Venezuela's president, Hugo Chavez, saying he is "frustrated" with Chavez because of spats over U.S. foreign policy.

Truly unbelievable he said that in the first place.

I guess the risk you take in a free society with the freedom to speak your mind, is that somebody might actually listen.

Works as advertised.

Comment

I don't know where you were educated or just if a bout of the flu caused you to simply miss this part, but the FREEDOM OF SPEECH does not give a person the right to call for the murder, or for a crime (murder, or anything else "illegal") to occur.

If I was to put it down here on this forum that I believe (insert your identification here), should be murdered, it's illegal and I could face serious prosecution.

On top of that being said, Pat Robertson's "status" in the U.S. is no longer that of a private citizen since his bid to run for public office, but more of a diplomatic nature.

So, the next time you want to hear a diplomat of the U.S. announcing that the leader of the country providing 15-20% of the supply for United States oil, should be assassinated, hope you're happy to chug out an extra 75 cents to a buck (or more) for gas when they decide to embargo the oil supply.

Of course, let's just conveniently forget the whole Christian Coalition/Bible/"Thou shou not murder" thing while we're at it.

Comment

I have to say that as a Christian myself, I think this guy has gone off of the deep end.

He doesn't represent all of us, or even most of us, just like Osama doesn't represent all Muslims.
        Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Originally posted by stlgph
          I don't know where you were educated or just if a bout of the flu caused you to simply miss this part, but the FREEDOM OF SPEECH does not give a person the right to call for the murder, or for a crime (murder, or anything else "illegal") to occur.
          Well, it seems your medication is failing you {again} which we are all sorry to see, as evidenced by your ramblings. If it starts working again, {hope} you might step back and look at what I wrote again.

And on a side note, It would be completely inappropriate to actually call you an as_hole I think we can all agree, but does {would} society in general frown on us thinking you are one? Hypothetically speaking of course. I'll leave you to guess what I think.

Comment

I don't agree with him at all, but I think its sad when people clearly believe what they say the first time but apologize for it anyway. Its very sad to think that the country is becoming so PC that every time someone says something that offends someone else, they are beat into submission. I am angry that he apologized. For God shakes, grow a backbone.
            THE VOICE OF REASON HAS SPOKEN!
            Pop quiz: Which US president said, "Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade, and much of his nation's wealth, not on providing for the Iraqi people, but on developing nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."
            George W. Bush is not correct. It was Bill Clinton in his 1998 State of the Union speech. HMMMMMMMMM.

Comment

Showtime100 and stlgph, I suggest you guys continue your personal conflicts via other means of communication (PM, e-mail, IM, etc.). If this constant bickering continures in this or any thread, both of you will be suspended.
              Will F.
              Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Absolutely right Crazy764! No place for bickering! But to set the record straight, I have no personal conflicts, sorry you see it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Showtime100
                  Well, it seems your medication is failing you {again} which we are all sorry to see, as evidenced by your ramblings. If it starts working again, {hope} you might step back and look at what I wrote again.

And on a side note, It would be completely inappropriate to actually call you an as_hole I think we can all agree, but does {would} society in general frown on us thinking you are one? Hypothetically speaking of course. I'll leave you to guess what I think.
                  As you wish to believe.

Let me introduce you to the Fighting Words Doctrine.

http://americandefenseleague.com/fightwds.htm

Legal definition of 'fighting words'

Fighting words doctrine. The First Amendment doctrine that holds that certain utterances are not constitutionally protected as free speech if they are inherently likely to provoke a violent response from the audience. N.A.A.C.P. v. Clairborne Hardware Co., Miss., 458 U.S. 886, 102 S.Ct. 3409, 73 L.Ed.2d 1215 (1982). Words which by their very utterance inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace, having direct tendency to cause acts of violence by the persons to whom, individually, remark is addressed. The test is what persons of common intelligence would understand to be words likely to cause an average addressee to fight. City of Seattle v. Camby, 104 Wash.2d 49, 701 P.2d 499, 500.

The "freedom of speech" protected by the Constitution is not absolute at all times and under all circumstances and there are well-defined and narrowly limited classes of speech, the prevention and punishment of which does not raise any constitutional problem, including the lewd and obscene, the profane, the libelous, and the insulting or "fighting words" which by their very utterance inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace. Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire, 315 U.S. 568, 62 S.Ct. 766, 86 L.Ed. 1031.

SOURCE: Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition

ADL USA American Defense League
                  dedicated to American interests

Comment

Why dont we all join the "700 club" so he can shut his fat mouth and open his eyes. Then thell be able to pay to update there Tiberian junker. (Southpark)
                    -Kevin

Comment

Its quite sad that some disagreements in this forum end in heated posts and bickering such as ths thread has displayed. Whatever happened to two people being able to have drastically different opinions and respect each other for it, and agree to disagree....instead of things boiling down to name calling?
                      Canon 20D & BG-E2 Grip
                      EF 50mm 1.4 USM
                      EF-S 18-55mm
                      EF 28-135mm IS USM
                      EF 70-200mm f4L
                      EF 100-400L IS
                      1.4X II Teleconverter
                      Canon 420EX Speedlite
                      Canon 430EX Speedlite
                      Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod

David Wilson | Through the Fence Photography

Comment

Don't get too sad David, it's just a silly internet forum. Nothing to give up on mankind over.

Comment

What Robertson said wasn't offensive, it was downright stupid. Why is a man who apparently represents jesus christ, calling for the MURDER of another human being?

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
                            Why is a man who apparently represents jesus christ,
                            Represents Jesus Christ? (notice the caps? ) Where did you ever come up with that? He is a preacher, not even the Pope can "represent" Jesus Christ.

Comment

Good.

Now write the Pope, Jerry Falwell, George Bush, Pat Robertson, and Fred Phelps and tell them McJe$u$ Ventures is hereby closed for business.

Comment

Working...
                              X