2008 NCAA Hockey Playoffs thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 NCAA Hockey Playoffs thread

With the last few weeks of the regular season rapidly upon us, its time to start looking forward to the postseason, with the conference playoffs up first followed by the NCAA playoffs, first the regionals then in April with the Frozen Four to be played at the Pepsi Center in Denver, Colorado. For all you followers of College Hockey, what are your predictions?

To summarize:
    Atlantic hockey isn't a strong conference, but with Air Force, Army, and Holy Cross, it isn't a weak one either. The CCHA has had the two strongest teams this season, with Miami (Ohio) and Michigan continually battling out for the top spot in the USAToday poll, they look to be strong contenders going into the playoffs. College Hockey America (CHA) looks to be a non-starter, as the smallest D-I conference in the league, they host such teams as Alabama-Huntsville, Bemidji State, and Niagara. Like I said, a non-starter. ECAC is mostly Ivy League, the only team I expect to do well in the postseason this year will be Quinnipeac but I dont see them getting too far. Hockey East will be a powerhouse, with Boston University, Northeastern, New Hampshire, and Boston College, all ranked teams, they will do well. The other powerhouse and arguably the most compeditive conference in the league is the WCHA, with Colorado College, North Dakota, Denver, and Minnesota. Most of the conference is nationally ranked.

My Predictions:
    I see North Dakota winning out over Colorado College in the WCHA playoff, they currently have the longest unbeaten streak in the nation at 10-0-1. The Golden Gophers will be out early, they may make it past the first round, but not to the conference playoff, and not far into the NCAA playoff. In Hockey East, New Hampshire looks firmly in control and will most likely come out ahead. Michigan will probably take CCHA, and I think Army will narrowly out Sacred Heart to win Atlantic out.

The NCAA frozen four will be as follows:

North Dakota vs Boston College, Michigan on Colorado College. North Dakota is out for blood after last years frozen four, they'll take BC. As for the other side, Michigan is a solid team and has been so for all year, but CC is at the top of the hottest conference in the league, it will be interesting to see, but I'm putting Michigan on top this time. I'll say North Dakota v Michigan for the championship, with Nodak pulling a very close victory.

8 in 08 baby!

What are your thoughts?

Well Eric, if Minnesota makes it past the first round then as of now NoDak will be out since as of right now thats how it would look. If the season ended today here would be the playoffs for the WCHA. Nodak would be considered #2 since they have played more games then CC but have the same amount of points.

1. Colorado College vs. 10. Alaska-Anchorage
    2. North Dakota vs. 9. Minnesota
    3. Denver vs. 8. Michigan Tech
    4. Minnesota State vs. 7. St. Cloud State
    5. Wisconsin vs. 6. Minnesota-Duluth

Here are the current projected Sweet 16 based off of the power rankings.

ALBANY, East Regional
    1. North Dakota
    2. New Hampshire
    3. Minnesota State
    4. Providence

WORCESTER, Northeast Regional
    1. Michigan
    2. Boston College
    3. Clarkson
    4. Army

MADISON, Midwest Regional
    1. Miami