This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
    Oklahoma = HANGING eagles feathers...jeez, it's so obvious now !!

New York was halfway typed, I just didn't get as far as posting.

The others I would not have got without a lot of help. All I can say is.... Thank God the southern states have a thing for fried chicken !!!

Now then....let's see.....

It may be a few days before I get this up and running.

Yep... I knew you were close and you would have got those two with a break from them and coming back with a fresh mind, and also that I'd have to lead you in to the others because thery were of a different sort altogether.... I'm sure you would have cracked those with a little help also but I was starting to think it would be next year before the airport got found!

Thankfully someone's cooked the chicken at last!! (I wonder if they serve Rhode Island Reds!)

Well done again Brian... and no worries about a delay although it's a pitty that I'll be away from home for a few days per week again so I'll only be able to dip in on-line for a short while now and then.

Paul
    Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-12-31, 17:24.

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

• Well...I haven't actually decided on an airport yet...but we're going on a world trip to get there so we'd best get started.

On Tuesday 5th Jan 2010 we're leaving Heathrow T5 on a 6hr 5min flight. It'll be a night flight but you'll need sunglasses not long after you get to your destination.....and you'll get 6 of the local currency for your pound. By the way, you could go on a different date if you want, but not on a Monday or a Friday.

What is the Airline ?..(come on..T5 Heathrow...it 'aint rocket science )
      Where are we going ?
      What is the flight number ?
      What is the currency ?

This one shouldn't be too hard...don't get used to it !!
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Airline - British Airways
        Destination - Dubai (DXB)
        Flight Number - BA105
        Currency - Dubai Dirams

I dont know if i spelt dirams correctly....i dont even know if this is correct haha
        Theres strong, then theres Army Strong!
        www.goarmy.com

Comment

Well...I haven't actually decided on an airport yet...
          Well, that's me out of the picture by the time you've made your mind up...

What is the Airline ?... British Airways
          Where are we going ?... Jeddah
          What is the flight number ?... BA0133
          What is the currency ?... Saudi Arabia Riyals
          Last edited by HB-IHC; 2010-01-01, 14:53.

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

• What is the Airline ?... British Airways
            Where are we going ?... Jeddah
            What is the flight number ?... BA0133
            What is the currency ?... Saudi Arabia Riyals
            Aaaah...a' salaam alaykuum, kayf haleek ?

Quite correct siddiqi

(translate that if you can....for no extra points of course )

Take a taxi to the gold souq....spend some money...then on to the beach area where there are some excellent restaurants on the reef edge. Have a little break. I'll be back soon.

Oh yes....and no alcohol please

Comment

• Well, that's me out of the picture by the time you've made your mind up...
              Don't you believe it ! ........ we're going a long way. With a few breaks in between. But for now, after 4 days in Jeddah we're off to Alexandria. I mean to say, how easy is this, I'm even telling you where we're going !!

But...

We need to travel as cheaply as possible so....

Which airline and flight number ?
              When does it leave Jeddah ?
              What is the flight time ?
              What aircraft will we fly on ?

Tips. I'm English...using British search engines. And I use http://coinmill.com/GBP_calculator.html for currency conversion.
              Last edited by brianw999; 2010-01-01, 17:21.

Comment

• I dont mean to sound stupid...
                so we gotta look for a flight between Jeddah and Alexandria ?
                Theres strong, then theres Army Strong!
                www.goarmy.com

Comment

Aaaah...a' salaam alaykuum, kayf haleek ?

Quite correct siddiqi

(translate that if you can....for no extra points of course )
                  Extra points?... pointless if you don't tell me what language you're speaking... Arabic, Somali, Bengali, Kabardian, Gobbledigook, other?

... and if it's Arabic, no less than 5 (and counting) on-line translators have told me that "a' salaam alaykuum, kayf haleek" in English is:

a' salaam alaykuum, kayf haleek...

... ?margana na ti si ro
                  Last edited by HB-IHC; 2010-01-01, 18:36.

Comment

• Originally posted by LondonJoe View Post
                    I dont mean to sound stupid...
                    so we gotta look for a flight between Jeddah and Alexandria ?
                    Exactly that Joe.

Comment

• Originally posted by HB-IHC View Post
                      I'll give you a point for not making me guess what language you're speaking... Arabic, Somali, Bengali, Kabardian, Gobbledigook other?

... if it's Arabic, then here's what 5 on-line translators tell me that "a' salaam alaykuum, kayf haleek" is in English: a' salaam alaykuum, kayf haleek

Alright smartass... I spell it as it's said as I don't write Arabic.

Arabic. Basically...(a'salaam alaykuum, kayf haleek) = Hello there, how are you ?
                      (siddiqi) = my friend.

....which is why the highly potent, highly illegal 180% proof alcohol that we used to brew in Saudi was called "Sid" ( short for Siddiqi = friend )

Comment

Alright smartass... I spell it as it's said as I don't write Arabic.

Arabic. Basically...(a'salaam alaykuum, kayf haleek) = Hello there, how are you ?
                        (siddiqi) = my friend.

....which is why the highly potent, highly illegal 180% proof alcohol that we used to brew in Saudi was called "Sid" ( short for Siddiqi = friend )
                        Cor blimey Tosh!... I'm glad I didn't spend all night trying to find that out! ... and Sid was made out of?

Comment

• Water,sugar and yeast....brewed as you would for a homebrew wine for 10 days.

Stop the fermentation process by straining off and cooling.

Distil four times at ever increasing temperatures (and therefore pressures. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME, ONE GUY BLEW A WALL OUT OF HIS APARTMENT WHEN HE GOT IT WRONG !!)

Test the specific gravity to ensure that you have drinkable Ethanol and not poisonous Methanol. The final true test was to set light to a teaspoon of it. If it burned with a clean blue flame then it was good stuff. Burn with an orange/yellow flame and it's methanol.

Result ? 180% proof alcohol. Cut 50/50 with water to bring it down (down!!!) to 90% and mix with coca cola for a mind blowing Bacardi and Coke.
                          Many other recipes around to produce tastealike Jack Daniels, Kahlua, Cointreau, Gin to name but a few.

....and the upside was that you could keep it in the freezer as it didn't freeze.

Comment

• Back to the puzzle and a little clue for you.

When does it leave Jeddah ? 1735

Comment

........ after 4 days in Jeddah we're off to Alexandria.

But...

When does it leave Jeddah ?

Tips. I'm English...using British search engines. And I use http://coinmill.com/GBP_calculator.html for currency conversion.
                              re brew...

mmmm... sorry siddiqi, not enough specific information, although giving us a departure time reduces the search options by a few million, if not billion.

1) Alexandria, LA, USA
                              2) Alexandria, Egpyt (ALY, HBE)
                              3) Alexandria, Other

"Four days" means?...

A) 6th + 4 = 10th (4 full days)
                              B) 6th - 9th = span of 4 days
                              C) or are we counting from the start of our journey (5th)... in which case the 8th might come in to play

“As cheaply as possible”... problem is that I doubt if anyone could actually determine that – not even you Brian!

Available information will differ depending upon which e-route we take and / or are driven down: search engine, offers, which country your computer is registered as being in and, possibly, which country you log in from etc. The prices will also change day by day and even every few hours depending upon which third parties have seat allocations and how close to flying we are etc., and that’s not even taking exchange rates into account.

Now, making at least 3 major assumptions, I can see from my preferred SE; http://www.kayak.co.uk/ that SV331 departs JED at 17.35 and arrives ALY at 19.00 on 8th (no flights at this time on this route from this search engine on the 9th and 10th) and is £326 booked via Saudi Arabian but can be had for £147.40 via ebookers at the moment.

However, from the information I have (which, because of all the above, may not be the same as what you have and is indeterminable unless we have vital information) I can see that this isn’t “as cheap as possible” because it’s possible to travel via Egyptair (MS656, JED 14.20 – 15.55 ALY) for £121.00 via ebookers but cheaper again at Expedia (£136.00) on the same day.

Trouble is, they’re some basic advertised prices for major airlines but we would still have to go to every given site and “phantom” book the flights to see if there were any additional costs to work out the cheapest, and I’m sure you wouldn’t want us spending our time doing that.

There are also low cost operators to check, which may or may not come up on the particular SE we are using, and several ways of getting from A to B (1 stop, 2 stop, switching airpots etc.) all of which are determined by unfathomable pricing structures... e.g. it can often be cheaper to take a stop over than fly direct.

There may, of course, also be other offers out there on other search engines / flight / holiday sites too and, even if the aircraft was exactly the same, code sharing puts a whole lot of other options into the fray so, unless I’ve been lucky enough to catch the flight you want us to from your more specific time based info. (SV331), it’s still haystack and needle... easy enough, but very, very arduous.

Just a note... I'm away until the end of week now but I'll try to dip in as and when... good luck to everyone else!

Paul
                              Last edited by HB-IHC; 2010-01-02, 12:14.

Comment

• Remember that I said I'm English and I use British search engines....

....and ebookers is most certainly at least the first point of call for a Brit looking for a flight...

....and they are the cheapest for SV331, leaving on the 10th, arriving ALY at 1900 ( so I'll give you the flight time of 2 hr 25 mins )

For future reference, and I should have said it before, my error, all flights will be direct unless stated otherwise.

To proceed further all I need to know now is what aircraft does SV331 operate ?

Comment

Working...
                                X