Helicopter Registrations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helicopter Registrations?

While searching for photos of vintage US airliners, I've noticed that many rotorcraft used to carry huge registration numbers under the fuselage, painted sideways, so that they can be read when the helicopter flies over from right to left.

This was seen mostly in the 1960's and 70's, up to about the 80's. Now it is not as common anymore.

I searched through all the Federal Regulations (Title 14, Part 45, Subpart C) sections 45.27 and .23 but could not find the belly marking as a mandatory requirement. Only side fuselage markings are now required on helicopters.

Does anyone know if the belly registration markings were mandatory in the 1960s through 1980's - they don't seem to be required anymore, or maybe nowadays they are only optional in the US?

Any info. welcome. Thanks!

I'm guessing here but I think fixed wings used to have to have the registration visible under the wing/s. No wings on helicopters so the reg would have been on the underside.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Changes to US helicopter registration rules

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
      I'm guessing here but I think fixed wings used to have to have the registration visible under the wing/s. No wings on helicopters so the reg would have been on the underside.
      Thanks for your input Brian!

Apparently US Helicopters used to have HUGE registration numbers on their bellies from the early 60's through the early 80's (a perfect example are the early Bell 205 Jet Rangers). But this is no longer seen. The US regulations were apparently changed.

Current US regulations call for helicopter registration numbers to be located on the sides of the cabin, fuselage, boom or tail only (no mention of the lower cabin). I can't find copies of the older, obsolete US regulations regarding helicopter markings.

I was just curious what the rules were back then after viewing pictures of New York Airways, LAA, SFO, and CHA airline helicopters in operation from the early 60's until about 1983 when the huge belly numbers were apparently dropped.

Comment

Working...
      X