Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• burnt whites

Hello,
    First of all, I apologize for the translation, I did it with Google Translator.
    The issue is that my Canon 7D camera sometimes gives me some very burnt whites and I can't figure out what it could be. In the examples I give, they are shot at a few seconds from each other in the first shot there is a difference of 2 photos with the second in the Vueling photo. In the Brussels photos more of the same, the first one comes out burnt and the second I think is normal
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3245.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	695.5 KB
ID:	1169977
    Marca: Canon
    Modelo: Canon EOS 7D
    Software:
    Fecha de captura: 2023-09-24 18:04:38
    Tiempo de exposición: 1/640 sec
    Número F: f/9
    Velocidades ISO: ISO 160
    Programa de exposición: Aperture priority
    Modo de medición: Multi-segment
    Bias de exposición: 0 EV
    Flash: No flash,compulsory
    Distancia focal: 287 mm
    Equivalente 35mm:
    Lente de la cámara: 50-500mm

Name:	3248.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	761.5 KB
ID:	1169978
    Nombre de archivo: G:\FOTOS\CANON 7D\AÑO 2023\24-09-23\3248.CR2
    Software:
    Fecha de captura: 2023-09-24 18:04:39
    Tiempo de exposición: 1/320 sec
    Número F: f/9
    Velocidades ISO: ISO 160
    Programa de exposición: Aperture priority
    Bias de exposición: 0 EV
    Distancia focal: 287 mm
    Equivalente 35mm:
    Lente de la cámara: 50-500mm

Attached Files

Name:	1959.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	1169981
    Software:
    Fecha de captura: 2023-09-23 11:09:24
    Tiempo de exposición: 1/400 sec
    Número F: f/7.1
    Velocidades ISO: ISO 100
    Programa de exposición: Normal
    Bias de exposición: 0.33 EV
    Distancia focal: 218 mm
    Equivalente 35mm:
    Lente de la cámara: 70-300mm

Name:	1981.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	1169982
    Software:
    Fecha de captura: 2023-09-23 11:10:32
    Tiempo de exposición: 1/400 sec
    Número F: f/7.1
    Velocidades ISO: ISO 100
    Programa de exposición: Normal
    Bias de exposición: 0.33 EV
    Distancia focal: 191 mm
    Equivalente 35mm:
    Lente de la cámara: 70-300mm
    GPS:​​
    Attached Files

Comment

On the Vueling, your shutter speed went from 1/640 to 1/320 hence the over exposure (note the Vueling livery is not a Canon's friend).

For the Brussels, the sun was full on the side when you shot the side on so blew out at 1/400, but because you shot the Brussels nose on as well, whilst you still shot at 1/400, the angle of the sun wasn't so harsh to blow out the whites.

I found with Canon's, if shooting in direct sunshine, it's always worth AV or TV priority (if you are not comfortable with Manual) and stopping down a 1/3. Vueling's livery sometimes needs 2/3 because I think the Canon really struggles with the spots.

It's all about learning exposures and what you need to do in different lighting conditions.

P.s I think you've over exposed by 1/3 of a stop on the Brussels, again showcasing why the whites have blown.

P.p.s Despite what my signature says, I'm not on the screening team any more but I can't change it for some reason...
      Last edited by davepotter; 2023-09-25, 18:43.
      Best regards,
      Dave

Saving the World, One Screened Image at a time...

Comment

Originally posted by davepotter View Post
        On the Vueling, your shutter speed went from 1/640 to 1/320 hence the over exposure (note the Vueling livery is not a Canon's friend).

For the Brussels, the sun was full on the side when you shot the side on so blew out at 1/400, but because you shot the Brussels nose on as well, whilst you still shot at 1/400, the angle of the sun wasn't so harsh to blow out the whites.

I found with Canon's, if shooting in direct sunshine, it's always worth AV or TV priority (if you are not comfortable with Manual) and stopping down a 1/3. Vueling's livery sometimes needs 2/3 because I think the Canon really struggles with the spots.

It's all about learning exposures and what you need to do in different lighting conditions.

P.s I think you've over exposed by 1/3 of a stop on the Brussels, again showcasing why the whites have blown.

P.p.s Despite what my signature says, I'm not on the screening team any more but I can't change it for some reason...

I noticed the same as you on the first photo the Shutter speed issue, and the second no matter that settings were the same, was the angle of the airplane...
        Canon user here, for movement airplanes always go for 1/1000, it will give you a very nice result capturing all the details, put the ISO in 100 and f/6.3 - 6.0 - 5.6, don't worry for exposure as the editing will take care of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor The Aviator View Post
          don't worry for exposure as the editing will take care of that.
          I'd disagree with that. Exposure is extremely important when taking the picture. As the OP will struggle to recover the two blown out images in to usable ones. If the exposure is right out of the camera, only minor tweaks will need to be made in post.

P.s - Not a screener.

Best regards,
          Dave

Saving the World, One Screened Image at a time...

Comment

I have a doubt, can i ask a question? ​

Comment

Originally posted by JoelGibson View Post
              I have a doubt, can i ask a question? ​
              no problem

Comment

I don't think, that's a problem of Canon.
                In the second picture of the Vueling, there is a dark wood a big part of the motif. So the exposure program of the camera tries to find a good exposure not only for the plane, but also for the dark wood. The same with the first brussels, there is also a dark background.
                You should choose a program of your camera, that only uses a smaller part of the motif for the exposure.

Stefan

Comment

Originally posted by Moosacher View Post
                  I don't think, that's a problem of Canon.
                  In the second picture of the Vueling, there is a dark wood a big part of the motif. So the exposure program of the camera tries to find a good exposure not only for the plane, but also for the dark wood. The same with the first brussels, there is also a dark background.
                  You should choose a program of your camera, that only uses a smaller part of the motif for the exposure.

Stefan
                  Ok, do you suggest center-weighted or partial measurement instead of evaluative measurement? Thank you.

Comment

If the aircraft is exposed to direct sunlight in an airport, using center-weighted measurement will make the surrounding area darker.
                    (Condition that the sky is not the background) (For Canon)

I have been rejected for Dark/Underexposed many times.
                    But it's easy to fix!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_F View Post
                      If the aircraft is exposed to direct sunlight in an airport, using center-weighted measurement will make the surrounding area darker.
                      (Condition that the sky is not the background) (For Canon)

I have been rejected for Dark/Underexposed many times.
                      But it's easy to fix!
                      Thank you, and how can I fix it, what would be the best measurement for you in that case?

Comment

I use the partial metering function (Canon 5D Mk IV). In about 90 % there is a good result. Of course You have still to optimize Your pictures later by the histogram. I do this with GIMP.
                        For finding out the best measurement method for the different situations (bigger bright parts / dark parts / much sky ,,,) in your motif just try the different methods and find out the best for you to operate with. The better you know about how the different programs are working, the more you will find the best one for each situation and the better your results will be. A 100 % solution for all situations does not exist.

Stefan

Comment

Thank you all

Comment

Working...
                          X