New member restrictions plus iPad editing equals rejection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member restrictions plus iPad editing equals rejection

Are there any new posters here that are successfully moving (reasonably) high res images (6000x4000) from their DSLR to an iPad, resizing them to the 1280 width limit, and being able to upload them to the site? If so, I’d love to know your workflow…

(Before anyone asks, I know the difference between cropping and resizing, and the distinction of file size vs. image size. I understand about the ‘lossy’ file JPG format with variable resolution qualities, and that once quality has been lost via compression, you ain’t gonna be getting it back again - but what I am not clear about is where and when in my workflow, such losses might be occurring, and how or even IF I can do anything about them!)

So here is my workflow…
    I am taking 6000x4000 raw NEF images off my Nikon D7200, and putting them onto my iPad via the Nikon WMU tool - this could possibly be my first mistake, as I think they may be saved with a JPEG file extension, rather than JPG, and it looks like the uploader may not like that. I move the images at ‘Original Size’, so in theory, no compression there, though I expect the simple act of converting from NEF to JPG at the iPad end of the move is imposing some unwanted compression…

After some cropping in the iPad native Photos app, let’s say I end up with a 3891x2326px image (9MP) that is a 1.9MB file size. Now I use a resize app called ReSizer, which allows me to set the image width to 1280, and maintains the aspect ratio to automatically set the height to 765 in this case (which is just short of 1MP). The tool also claims to be maintaining 100% quality, but the resulting file is only around the 100KB mark (I have tried a couple of different image resizing apps with similar results), and so fails the prerequisite MINIMUM file size constraint as well.

if anyone has a workflow that successfully allows Nikon NEF files to be converted, cropped, and resized via an iPad, AND results in an image size that conforms to the 1280 width constraint but is still big enough to meet the 250KB file size constraint, please put me out of my misery.

MTIA
    Graham

Originally posted by Grumbleydore View Post
    Are there any new posters here that are successfully moving (reasonably) high res images (6000x4000) from their DSLR to an iPad, resizing them to the 1280 width limit, and being able to upload them to the site? If so, I’d love to know your workflow…

(Before anyone asks, I know the difference between cropping and resizing, and the distinction of file size vs. image size. I understand about the ‘lossy’ file JPG format with variable resolution qualities, and that once quality has been lost via compression, you ain’t gonna be getting it back again - but what I am not clear about is where and when in my workflow, such losses might be occurring, and how or even IF I can do anything about them!)

So here is my workflow…
    I am taking 6000x4000 raw NEF images off my Nikon D7200, and putting them onto my iPad via the Nikon WMU tool - this could possibly be my first mistake, as I think they may be saved with a JPEG file extension, rather than JPG, and it looks like the uploader may not like that. I move the images at ‘Original Size’, so in theory, no compression there, though I expect the simple act of converting from NEF to JPG at the iPad end of the move is imposing some unwanted compression…

After some cropping in the iPad native Photos app, let’s say I end up with a 3891x2326px image (9MP) that is a 1.9MB file size. Now I use a resize app called ReSizer, which allows me to set the image width to 1280, and maintains the aspect ratio to automatically set the height to 765 in this case (which is just short of 1MP). The tool also claims to be maintaining 100% quality, but the resulting file is only around the 100KB mark (I have tried a couple of different image resizing apps with similar results), and so fails the prerequisite MINIMUM file size constraint as well.

if anyone has a workflow that successfully allows Nikon NEF files to be converted, cropped, and resized via an iPad, AND results in an image size that conforms to the 1280 width constraint but is still big enough to meet the 250KB file size constraint, please put me out of my misery.

MTIA
    Graham
    First, how do I do: I take the SD card out of the camera and use the card reader to transfer the RAW file to the iPad.
    Otherwise, the JPEG+RAW file is imported.
    Then I edit in the LR app for iPad.
    And even in this version, there is no dust removal tool in the mobile application. Which can lead to deviations.
    Therefore, I use the iPad only as a last resort. Therefore, I advise you not to use the iPad to edit photos on JF. The ideal option is the Macbook Air M1 and LR.​

Comment

Originally posted by UNWW View Post
      …I use the iPad only as a last resort. Therefore, I advise you not to use the iPad to edit photos on JF. The ideal option is the Macbook Air M1 and LR.​
      Thanks for your workflow and advice, but I am not in a position to afford new equipment such as a MacBook, nor subscription based software like LR and PS. What I really want is a solution based on the equipment I have already got. If it requires significant expenditure, then I will tap out.

Comment

Thanks for your workflow and advice, but I am not in a position to afford new equipment such as a MacBook, nor subscription based software like LR and PS. What I really want is a solution based on the equipment I have already got. If it requires significant expenditure, then I will tap out.
        I understood. Sorry. If anyone advises how to do without LR on an iPad, I will also use this advice.

Comment

We really recommend a laptop at least or a desktop system for editing on so you can access all the benefits of the photographic editing software. The main choice is Lightroom and or Photoshop but there are also free options such as GIMP which have all the features you need. A simple crop and re-size of a RAW file wont get you acceptance on JP. RAW files need editing as they are effectively a digital negative image. They are not processed until you import them into software. You don't need to have the top of the line mac or pc. Just one that will run some editing software.
          IMO, an Ipad is way too constricting for editing unless you have a top of the line pro version. I can't say I've knowingly come across any accepted images edited on an Ipad. I'm open to being proven wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by B7772ADL View Post
            We really recommend a laptop at least or a desktop system for editing on so you can access all the benefits of the photographic editing software…
            Many thanks for your comments and input James. I do have a laptop with GIMP installed back at home, but currently don’t have access to it while travelling, which is why I was hoping for a solution that could be implemented via my iPad in the interim. I used to have PS and LR, but the updates quickly overtook the capabilities of my laptop, thereby forcing me to decide between keeping the subscription and also shelling out for new hardware, or cancelling the subscription and relying on free alternatives, which is the option I chose. I appreciate all your points about a quick crop and resize not cutting it, but also aware of the warnings on the upload page about ‘over-processed’ images being rejected. Certainly, I will do some basic corrections on colour, contrast, exposure, etc., and getting rid of the sensor dust motes. However, my main quandary at this point is where and why the compression is occurring, that causes me to have an image size that is the maximum allowed for upload, and yet the file size is way below the minimum limit. Perhaps the BTS workings of the iPad itself, or apps aimed at it, are just too ‘black box’, and I will have to wait till I get home and can actually do things like take the SD card from my camera and plug it directly into my PC, so I can track exactly where file sizes are being affected.

Cheers
            Grum

Comment

Is a photo for JP so urgent that he can't wait to get home and use the lap? Take things calmly, we are non-professional enthusiasts who no have to send photos to a newspaper or magazine.
              Greetings

Comment

After some cropping in the iPad native Photos app, let’s say I end up with a 3891x2326px image (9MP) that is a 1.9MB file size.
                ​Sounds like there’s something wrong here. Normally a 20MP jpg file (for me) is around 10MB, so in theory 9MP images should be around half of that (4~5MB approx.)
                1.9MB sounds way too small (even my 1920pix images are around 1MB for 2MP), maybe the issue is with the Photos app automatically compressing stuff. Just a hunch though
                Hope it helps

Comment

After a little experimentation with a CR3 raw file 23.5MB (6000x4000) I think your initial problem is with the Nikon WMU converting to .jpeg and not sending the original RAW file.

Using an iPad air with USB-C port you can import a raw file to Apple photos using a USB card reader connected to the USB port on the iPad. This remains full size RAW at 23.5MB on Apple Photos.

The file can be edited with the iPad in Apple photos and exported as a jpeg file. An un edited file exported is approx 3.7MB. The iPad version of Apple photos does not offer as many export options as the iMac version.

The issue I have not solved is re sizing the file to JP requirements. Perhaps your software can do the resize at this stage?

Note: Apple photos provides basic editing, but no dust spotting.

Comment

Working...
                  X