How do I get sharper photos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get sharper photos?

Hello! A top reason for a lot of my rejections is "Under sharpened (Soft)." If anyone could give me advice on how to get sharper photos I would highly appreciate it. My camera is the EOS T7 Rebel.

I have same camera. I saw it wasnt made for sports and wildlife photography really. Which in my opinion probably means it cannot take good shots of fast moving objects. I don't know how true this is but it would explain why my photos suck.

Comment

Could be a number of issues. The camera's sensor is likely not one of them. You could be using cheap lenses that hamper sharpness, it could be the conditions you are shooting in, how much you have to crop the photos, or your editing. Post originals here and people can tell you if the quality is good enough to get sharp enough photos out of.

Comment

Originally posted by jakerepp View Post
        Could be a number of issues. The camera's sensor is likely not one of them. You could be using cheap lenses that hamper sharpness, it could be the conditions you are shooting in, how much you have to crop the photos, or your editing. Post originals here and people can tell you if the quality is good enough to get sharp enough photos out of.
        Im currently using the Canon EF 55-250 IS II, I am looking into getting a new lens but I don't have a lot of spare money for a good lens.

Comment

I've used the Canon 750D for a lot of time, and have gotten several photos accepted to JetPhotos. I used the canon 55-250 STM. I do ALWAYS sharpen my photos in lightroom.

Comment

Hi !
            I'm not a screener.
            But if the only reason of your rejections is "Soft" you are doing a good job and you are very close to achieve an acceptance.
            Just have in mind that regardless of how sharp your images may look when coming out from the camera, a treatment to increase sharpness in the edit will almost always be necessary to comply with jetphotos sharpness standard... make sure not add to much texture in lightroom or it can end up in over proccessed sometimes or not add too much sharpening also cause it can end up in noisy or oversharpened.
            I use Nikon D3300 and the cheapest 70-300mm zoom and sometimes i rise the sharpness slider in lightroom to the maximum amount and still not enough, so i add another focus layer on photoshop and that way is enough.
            Regards
            https://www.jetphotos.com/photographer/315324

Comment

You can compensate with the smart sharpen option in Photoshop. In some cases, that works..

Comment

It might not help a lot - but I'd say your only issue is the post processing. 15 years ago, we shot with 6MP sensors and the cheap lenses - and had our shots accepted here as well. If they were rejected - it was us. Now the tech has advanced, the bar was raised - if they are rejected, it *still is* us. So all I suggest is, look into investing time, maybe money, into the postprocessing improvement.
                Last edited by bleuair; 2023-11-11, 20:11.

Comment

It's a mix of conditions.
                  1 - Zoom lens.
                  I used the same optic as you for most of my shooting here. But it has limits that you should be aware of, such as excessive softness at extreme focal lengths, poor sharpness in low light conditions and, finally, the diaphragm which, if too open, significantly reduces the depth of field.
                  2- Post Production
                  I don't know your workflow and what software you use, but in general many factors influence sharpening. To name a few, high exposure correction, noise reduction if shots are taken at high ISO, extreme frame cropping.
                  3 - You are using an APSC
                  This, in general, is not a problem, I have used this for many shots too. But a full-frame would open up another world to you.
                  But don't give up. not all shots are good for here. Search only for the best, refine your post production and the others that are not for jetphotos can easily be part of your collection.​

Comment

Working...
                  X