Night Photography involving moving aircrafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night Photography involving moving aircrafts

Hello everyone I'm new to the forums and JetPhotos, my question is how do people take photos of planes moving at night, I'm used to using aperture priority mode which means any movements leaves a trail so its not really possible to take a picture of a moving plane unless you want it to blurry, I have linked a photo which I liked and wonder how the photographer did it.
    Thanks again for all the help,
    -Nick N​

N415MC. Boeing 747-47UF(SCD). JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

I use manual mode and high ISO settings.
    Usually 1/10s, 1/15s or so, and the lowest aperture you can have with your lens.

Keep in mind that these pics are usually possible with high-end camera models and lens. Always better to use full-frame and/or f2.8 lens.

I have a Nikon D7200 and Nikkor 70-300mm VR lens. Been able to get a few motion night shot pictures, but not as crisp as this Atlas Air Jumbo pic.
    Here's an example I have:
    [1200px] 1/8s panning for this TAM A321, seen here taxiing to the terminal after arriving on runway 13! Low shutterspeed at night make some interesting "light worms" on the background... so awesome! :D. PT-XPN. Airbus A321-211. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 6 million screened photos online!

My pictures: https://www.jetphotos.com/photographer/46959

Comment

Thank you I appreciate it, right now I have a canon eos r7 with 18-155mm lens which I know are not good enough so I'm considering buying the 100-400mm lens. Right now my lowest aperture when I'm zoomed all the way in I think is f.9

Comment

You're going to want a low aperture like F4 or F 2.8

Comment

Originally posted by Leo 747 View Post
          I use manual mode and high ISO settings.
          Usually 1/10s, 1/15s or so, and the lowest aperture you can have with your lens.

Keep in mind that these pics are usually possible with high-end camera models and lens. Always better to use full-frame and/or f2.8 lens.

I have a Nikon D7200 and Nikkor 70-300mm VR lens. Been able to get a few motion night shot pictures, but not as crisp as this Atlas Air Jumbo pic.
          Here's an example I have:
          [1200px] 1/8s panning for this TAM A321, seen here taxiing to the terminal after arriving on runway 13! Low shutterspeed at night make some interesting "light worms" on the background... so awesome! :D. PT-XPN. Airbus A321-211. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 6 million screened photos online!
          with or without tripod?

Comment

Originally posted by Tav_Aviation View Post
            You're going to want a low aperture like F4 or F 2.8
            A HIGH aperture !!
            The lower the number, the higher the aperture (f: number is focal lenght / diaphragm diameter)...

Comment

Originally posted by rui cardoso View Post

with or without tripod?
              A monopod would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by rui cardoso View Post

with or without tripod?
                Handheld!
                My pictures: https://www.jetphotos.com/photographer/46959

Comment

Working...
                X