So... What lens should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So... What lens should I get?

I got my Canon Rebel/300D (taken over 1000 pics in the last month) and I've been using my old 28-105mm f\4.0-32 Promaster lens and now I'm looking for something bigger and better. I want to get into some bird/wildlife photography and obviously aviation photography. I'd like something at around 70-100 in the short end and 300-400 in the long end. I can't spend more than $300 and would really like to keep it down around $250 if at all possible. The local photo store has the basic Canon EOS 70-300mm for $249.95, but my friend says I gotta have Image Stabilization, but that really seems to pull a higher price. Any thoughts, suggestions, or someone willing to donate to a good cause (I promise I'll upload a lot ) would be greatly appreciated.
    ADC Refugee

Click here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Why do you have to have IS?
    There are plenty of people here who dont have IS lenses and they come out perfectly fine.
    Sam Rudge
    A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Originally posted by Brad1711
      I got my Canon Rebel/300D (taken over 1000 pics in the last month) and I've been using my old 28-105mm f\4.0-32 Promaster lens and now I'm looking for something bigger and better. I want to get into some bird/wildlife photography and obviously aviation photography. I'd like something at around 70-100 in the short end and 300-400 in the long end. I can't spend more than $300 and would really like to keep it down around $250 if at all possible. The local photo store has the basic Canon EOS 70-300mm for $249.95, but my friend says I gotta have Image Stabilization, but that really seems to pull a higher price. Any thoughts, suggestions, or someone willing to donate to a good cause (I promise I'll upload a lot ) would be greatly appreciated.
      You don't need IS... friend doesn't know what he is talking about. Many people shoot without IS and the pics come out fine.

Also $249 for a 75-300 is a ripoff....
      Here are much better prices: http://resellerratings.dealtime.com/..._Lens~S-2~OR-0
      Last edited by Airbus_A320; 2005-01-25, 03:30.

Comment

IS is not necessary:[photoid=412985]
        Will F.
        Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy764
          IS is not necessary:[photoid=412985]
          You never miss a chance to plug do you?
          Sam Rudge
          A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

With the 200-300 dollar spending range, I'd look into trying to pick up a second hand Sigma 135-400. That lens can produce some nice shots with a 300D.

[photoid=337773]

I'd def. recommend it over the 75-300 as it has the extended range and APO glass in it!

-Adam

Comment

Well I do have the Sigma 135-400 (new version) for my Nikon. And I must say it is a medicore lense compared to my Nikkors. However it should make it a good lense compared to any of the prosumer 75-300s Canon (and Nokon) do offer.

At least it had been rated pretty good when it comes to optical quality.

IS is no must have. It is only helpfull for low light situations. I would not spent money on the IS version. Start with the basic Canon lense (or the TAMRON) and save for a real L glass later.

Some Sigma samples

[photoid=335759]
              [photoid=335754]
              [photoid=335061]
              Last edited by seahawk; 2005-01-25, 08:31.

Comment

I shot through the entire summer season without the IS switched on on my 100-400, mainly because it was broken. When it's sunny, the 300D should be producing a high enough shutter speed that should eliminate blur anyway. I'm using it now as there is less light around, but it doesn't perform miracles in any way.
                I do think it's useful on a long, heavy lens like the 100-400, but on a lightweight consumer lens like Canon's 75-300, i don't believe its worth the extra money.

Comment

I've probably had 2-3 shots out of the hundreds or so I've uploaded where IS has ever helped in making the shot come out right. Its only usefull on the 75-300 and such for static objects...because the type 1 IS on that lens is not like that found on L lenses...

Even then...IS doesnt really justify the price increase IMO...just bump up the ISO if you need to and use neat image...you'll save money.

Comment

Clovis! Nice to see you're back!
                    Will F.

Comment

Been reeeal busy And my camera broke...

Comment

Originally posted by Leftseat86
                        And my camera broke...
                        Ow...that sucks. Are you getting it fixed?
                        Will F.

Comment

Shutter failed right before xmas...getting it back from Canon this week...-200$

Comment

Okay thanks for your replies--I've been busy and was out of town, too. Sounds like the Sigma 135-400 is the way to go, then. I'll see what I can find it for.
                            ADC Refugee

Click here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by Leftseat86
                              Shutter failed right before xmas..
                              How many releases did it have?

Comment

Working...
                              X