No announcement yet.

Photo Nerds, come ye hither....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright kids, I'm leaning towards the Nikon D50. Now it has 6.1 million pixels vs. the Canon that has 8. Will there be any difference for a general photographer like myself with those numbers? And how will those numbers really affect my picture taking experience, if there is any affect with the final product.

-Cam
    My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

no difference that you or I would notice on a computer screen

Comment

^Thanks for the bold.....and responce.

Comment

Originally posted by heez10
          no difference that you or I would notice on a computer screen
          Now wait a damn minute here...
          This fella has just joined last month...and yet, he doesn't have a JPElite subscription...AND he can post? What's going on there??

Comment

Didn't know you needed to buy a membership to post.

Comment

Originally posted by Star Alliance
              This fella has just joined last month...and yet, he doesn't have a JPElite subscription...AND he can post? What's going on there??
              Aye theres been quite afew of these new guys hanging around

Comment

Originally posted by Star Alliance
                ...and what, precisely, does that have to do with CAM's original post ?

CAM, as most people say, the choice of manufacturer is up to you. Its a choice based on budget, what you want it to do, if it will produce acceptable results for this and other sites and if it "feels" right for you. A camera that you don't feel happy holding is probably not the camera for you. My wife has a Canon 350D which just doesn't "feel" right to me. Its too light and my hands just don't fall on the controls as well as the Nikons. It still produces good quality results though.

D40, D50 and D80.....it doesn't really matter. Yes the D80 has 10+ Mpixels and yes, I find I'm getting better pictures with it...(or maybe I'm just getting to be a better photographer !!) against the 6Mpixels of the D40 and D50.

For a very good preview of the D40 go here.....http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond40/

On this page you can also go to the top left, select the "cameras" link and go from there to any of the current DSLR's available for a product description and preview/review.

You are, in one way, in an enviable position in that you are taking a totally new step into the SLR field by not having currently owned accessories such as lenses etc. to dictate what manufacturer to go to. Take your time to look at the options, handle the equipment and decide on your budgets......

.......and then go buy a Nikon.

Sorry, couldn't resist that, ignore that comment.
                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

alright, quick question, I've found a shop selling the D50 and the D70s both at the same price ($669CAD). is the D70s much better then the D50? The D50 is a kit with the 17-55 and the D70s is body only.

Comment

Everyone out west knows I shoot Nikon D50. It was the camera I could afford last year. When I first started looking for a D-SLR I wanted a Rebel. Then November of 2005 the D50 came out. I went to my local camera store several times to handle the different cameras and I ended up walking out with the D50. I ended up buying a second D50 body and now I shoot with both cameras with different lens attached. D50 with the 70-300 ED is less than $1000 here in the states...

The D80 came out awile ago and I have handled it and love it. It will probably be my next purchase...

I have shot several times with the canon 20D and it is certainly a dream to shoot with. I prefer my Nikon system and the onboard menus as it makes more sense to me..being able to handle a camera and be comfortable is very important!!

And for what it is worth....The three most popular photographers (all-time) over on A.net shoot Nikon!! (Had to throw that out!!)

Dave

Comment

Well, I went with the D40. Awesome camera so far. Light weight, build quality is superb. Here are some pics I took in the first 20 mins of having it.

A nice camera. I'm looking forward to getting a nice lens for it (not that the kitted lens is crap, but they had a nice 28-300 on a D50 and it was NICE!

Comment

Wait for the New nikkor 70-300 VR ED. Mines on order and should ship next week.

Nikonians is the Nikon community with expert forums, articles, galleries, news, contests and more.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Chris@YYZ
                          alright, quick question, I've found a shop selling the D50 and the D70s both at the same price ($669CAD). is the D70s much better then the D50? The D50 is a kit with the 17-55 and the D70s is body only.
                          The D70s is heavier due to its more robust metal frame then the D50 (679 grammes against 620 grammes)

D70s has a max shutter of 1/8000 against 1/4000 for the D50

Both have an ISO range of 200 - 1600

The D70s uses Compact Flash cards, the D50 uses SD cards.

It's a "swings and roundabouts" question really. If you already have Nikon fit lenses then I would say go for the D70s as it has more features and is more sturdily built but you have to remember that Nikon seem to be standardising their range to use SD cards. The storage card is, though, probably the cheapest part of the equation when buying a camera and having to use CF for my D70s and SD for my D80 doesn't cause me any problems.

For comparison go to this link...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/

This webpage has product specifications and user reports for your information.
                          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

brilliant, thanks Brian

Comment

Just be careful with lens purchases on the D40 due to the fact it will only accept AF-S lenses cause it doesnt have the camera mounted focusing motor that the other Nikon cameras have.

I actually started shooting on a Canon A-1 but when shopping for a DSLR it was a fresh start as Canon changed their lens mount. I went with the D70 over the Canons because i preffered the way it felt in my hands and i liked the menus more.

Comment

Working...
                              X