Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Nikon DSLRs

D300

Just under two years since the D200 Nikon reveals the D300, the range of changes is so significant that it wouldn't be inappropriate to call it a 'compact D3' (less the full-frame sensor of course). From the top there's a new CMOS sensor with twelve megapixels, a new auto-focus sensor with 51-points (15 of which are cross-type sensitive), there's focus tracking by color, scene recognition, Picture Control presets, six frames per second continuous shooting (or eight frames per second with a battery pack), Compact Flash UDMA support, Live View (with contrast detect AF) and the mighty impressive 3.0" 922,000 pixel LCD monitor (oh and HDMI video output). It's an impressive list, the D200 was a fair step up from the D100, the D300 can be seen as just as big a step, certainly more than enough to make the competition sweat.

and

Full frame D3

The professional Nikon D 'single digit' series of digital SLR's started life back in June 1999 with the groundbreaking D1. Groundbreaking because it was the digital SLR that broke Kodak's stranglehold on the digital SLR market and fundamentally brought prices down to a level which most professionals could afford (around the US$5,500 mark). Since then we have seen a steady progression in the evolution of this line of cameras. Whilst the core values of a high quality full-size body with integrated grip have remained constant, the line split into two halves (indicated by the X and H suffixes), one targeted at high resolution photography the other high speed sports type photography (lower resolution but faster continuous shooting). It's been almost three years since Nikon introduced a completely new digital SLR with a new sensor (the D2X) and there had been much anticipation that Nikon's next move would be a full-frame chip.

I would say D300 has 40D beat.

Well, i think the Nikon venture into FF may pretty much start to spell the end of the APS-C sized sensors. (Im not saying they will be gone soon, but i think this is going to start the beginning of the end).

Be nice to see how the pricing compares between the 1dmkIII and D3 and the D300 and 40D though.
    Sam Rudge
    A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

hmmh, that D300 looks very enticing - i was thinking of going for a D200, but i now think i will wait and save a little longer.
      The price seems to be very competitive too (around 1800,- USD) if Ken Rockwell is anything to go by !!
      Roll on next spring, i can already see my trusty D70 being retired early

Comment

D70 makes the perfect back-up. Why wait ?

Comment

Well, if pricing is US$1800, that puts it a fair bit above the 40D, so you'd hope its a step up. Anyways, the 10D/20/30/40D have alwasy seemed to be aimed at slightly different markets to the D100/200/300, and its jst another example of what we're seeign here, with Nikon trying to catch a slight step up from the XXDs.
          Sam Rudge
          A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

It's typical - they waited until the week after I take the plunge and buy a D200 to announce the D300! It's totally unfair and I shall sulk for weeks!!

Andy

Comment

D200 is stil lgreat and will be around even after D300 is there. And if it comes in November you will have ot be lucky to get one this year. So you have 3 months shooting with your D200 compared to waiting for D300.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk
                I would say D300 has 40D beat.
                I agree.

By the way, I can't wait to see pictures taken by the D3 at ISO 25,600

Comment

But why this?
                  ISO 200 - 3200 (6400 with boost)
                  Why no ISO 100?
                  My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

It does have ISO 100, although in boost mode:

Sensitivity * • Default: ISO 200 - 3200 in 1/3, 1/2 or 1.0 EV steps
                    • Boost: 100 - 6400 in 1/3, 1/2 or 1.0 EV steps
                    Last edited by CRBM666; 2007-08-23, 19:29.

Comment

It has ISO100 the same way some Canons have ISO50. It uses Boost for that which might mena a little less dynamic range. However the D3 seems to be more in line with the D2H and optimized for highspeed shooters. I would expect a D3X or so with more MPs and real ISO100 to follow in 2008.

Comment

The D200 has always been a superior camera to the Canon 10D, 20D, 30D, and now 40D line so you would hope the D300 is better than the 40D.

I doubt this will be the end to crop sensors due to the need and reliability on them by sports photographers. This is the reason why Canon has their full frames and then they have their high performance cameras with a crop sensor.

Good for Nikon, about time to say the least. I can't even count the numer of customers they have lost in the last few months, but hopefully this provides a bright future for the Nikon customers so they can stop begging Nikon to give them more.
                        Tanner Johnson - Owner
                        twenty53 Photography

Comment

Stefan, you still gonna switch to get the 40D???

Wow, the D300 is definitely one to save up for!

Comment

Who needs a kidney?

Comment

And incase no one read this:

Five New NIKKOR Lenses

Five new NIKKOR lenses are also launched today. They include a ground-breaking extreme wide-angle zoom lens, the AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8G ED and a slim line standard zoom, the AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G ED. Nikon has also launched three all-new super telephoto lenses with VR (Vibration Reduction), the AF-S 400mm f/2.8G ED VR, AF-S 500mm f/4G ED VR and AF-S 600mm f/4G ED VR.

Comment

Working...
                              X