No announcement yet.

First DSLR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my bag i have only i VR lens the Nikkor 24-120 AF-S VR. Take a guess what lens gets the least amount of use.... thats right the VR lens.

Not that it is a bad lens but i hardly ever have a need for it. The last time i used it was last October when i went up in a B-17 as much as the plane shook and bounced around over the Mountains of western NC VR was a much welcome addition.

Tanner J is correct that the way you hold your camera will give you better results hands down. I have been able to hand hold my Sigma 120-300 EX F2.8 lens down to 1/8 of a second. Just to note i also try to get a full nights sleep and i avoid colas and energy drinks. That helps prevent the shakes and jitters.

Here is a shot with the Sigma 120-300EX shot at 1/30th of a second f/32

Robin Guess Aviation Historian, Photographer, Web Designer.

http://www.Jet-Fighters.Net
    http://www.Jet-Liners.Net

Comment

Originally posted by 03SVTCobra
      Thanks in advance everyone.
      I bought the A200 a month or so ago. It was influenced by the fact that I had some old Minolta A-mounts sitting around. It is my first dSLR, too, and I am very, very happy with image quality.
      Sample image:

I haven't got any action shots yet - that was the first aviation-related photograph I'd gotten to take. Keep in mind, my editing is way subpar (hence why I have no recent shots in the db here), so any faults with it are photoshop's, not Sony's.
      From an amateur's point of view, I'd give the Alpha much acclaim, but then again, just the two cents of (one of the few) Sony users.
      Happy shooting and buying!
      Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by Star Alliance
        I bought the A200 a month or so ago. It was influenced by the fact that I had some old Minolta A-mounts sitting around. It is my first dSLR, too, and I am very, very happy with image quality.
        Sample image:
        http://photos.aero/photo-full-size.php?p=31036
        I haven't got any action shots yet - that was the first aviation-related photograph I'd gotten to take. Keep in mind, my editing is way subpar (hence why I have no recent shots in the db here), so any faults with it are photoshop's, not Sony's.
        From an amateur's point of view, I'd give the Alpha much acclaim, but then again, just the two cents of (one of the few) Sony users.
        Happy shooting and buying!
        Mitch
        What lens was that with? If I got the A200 I'd just get the 18-70 kit lens and opt for a Minolta AF 75-300 for my telephoto use.

Also does anyone have any warning to buying a refurb unit? Adorama looks like they can set me up with a refurbed XTI with kit lens and a Canon 75-300 USM III (non IS) for around $650.

Make it $750 after adding all the bag/memory cards/tripod/filters and that would probably be within my budget range.

Then again the Olympus E-510 with 14-42 and 40-150 at $540 is just too hard to rule out at that price point.

Comment

Also does anyone have any warning to buying a refurb unit? Adorama looks like they can set me up with a refurbed XTI with kit lens and a Canon 75-300 USM III (non IS) for around $650.
          Just make sure you get a Canon warranty with the refurbished one. Also, steer far, far away from gray market products. they may be cheaper, but you never know when you're getting ripped off.

As the owner of a Rebel XT, I can tell you that it is a simply EXCELLENT camera. The menus are so easy to use and remember, that I can do just about anything without looking. Everything is very self-explanatory, and the manual is also very easy to understand. Now I got a new body from B&H, and then I got a Sigma 28-70 f/2.8-4 from Amazon, which I wasn't really overly pleased with. The AF is a tad slow on the Sigma, but I don't have anything to compare it to, so...

As for the 75-300 lens, it is a decent beginner telephoto lens, but you will eventually learn enough about your new DSLR that you will want to upgrade your lens. Then you can venture into the wonder that is "L" glass.

You may also want to check out these threads from when I was getting my XT.

Hope this has helped you some.

-Chris

Comment

What lens was that with? If I got the A200 I'd just get the 18-70 kit lens and opt for a Minolta AF 75-300 for my telephoto use.
            It was with an ollllld Minolta 70-210

Comment

Alright well what I have so far (in my budget) for Nikon or Canon are two options.

D60 with standard 18-55 lens and then find a refurbished 55-200 or 70-300 VR.

Refurbished 400D/XTi Body with 18-55 and EF-S 55-200 IS

The Nikon is on the more budget friendly side. And the Body and wide angle lens will be brand new with warranty.

Comment

Well it may be against popular consensus but I was out at the local SVT Cobra meet tonight and got to play around with my buddy's E-500 for a bit. It was very comfortable in my hands.

With all the features of the E-510 and the price point right now with the 2 lens kit I think it would be the best bet for me at the moment.

Comment

Good to see you've made a choice however, reading what you just said

With all the features of the E-510 and the price point right now with the 2 lens kit I think it would be the best bet for me at the moment.
                  Buying the best for the moment isnt always the best thing. A couple members here will tell you its VERY expensive to swap brands later on if you want to swap for various (they found out the hard way)
                  The entry levels may be small and such, but the 40D/5D/D200/D300 are bigger cameras and are much more likely the sort of thing you'd be using in future years, so have a look at them for future expandability.
                  Sam Rudge
                  A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Are you sure the reason you like that camera is because you got to use one?

Last night I was with Paul Bowen and almost asked him to hold his 1DsMKIII, but I didn't because I knew I would want one and at $7-8000 I can't quite afford one.

I can tell you if you choose that camera, you will be disappointed in the long run. I'd switch to Nikon (since my business partner uses it and it would make sense for compatibility) but I can't justify the switch, it would be too expensive.

You have to think about lens choices. Canon and Nikon have a seemingly never ending amount, what does yours have?
                    Tanner Johnson - Owner
                    twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Simpleboy
                      Good to see you've made a choice however, reading what you just said

Buying the best for the moment isnt always the best thing. A couple members here will tell you its VERY expensive to swap brands later on if you want to swap for various (they found out the hard way)
                      The entry levels may be small and such, but the 40D/5D/D200/D300 are bigger cameras and are much more likely the sort of thing you'd be using in future years, so have a look at them for future expandability.
                      Well in a couple years my goal is to own a D300 or something of that nature. But I really am not all that interested in the D40-D80 line up. I just don't see a reason to pay that for a camera that has been stripped of all the features.

Originally posted by Tanner_J
                      Are you sure the reason you like that camera is because you got to use one?

Last night I was with Paul Bowen and almost asked him to hold his 1DsMKIII, but I didn't because I knew I would want one and at $7-8000 I can't quite afford one.

I can tell you if you choose that camera, you will be disappointed in the long run. I'd switch to Nikon (since my business partner uses it and it would make sense for compatibility) but I can't justify the switch, it would be too expensive.

You have to think about lens choices. Canon and Nikon have a seemingly never ending amount, what does yours have?
                      As far as lenses are concerned there are 20 dedicated lenses made by Olympus for the four thirds system and the E-510 will fit any four thirds lens made at the moment or at any point in history. I believe the one review said this was around 30 lenses. Making about 50 lenses available for the E-510.

I've used my friend's XTI, uncle's A200, and friend's Oly E-510.

The 400D is awesome, no argument...it just doesn't fit my hands, and is uncomfortable. The A200 is nice in my hands, but the picture quality is not as nice as I'd like. The Oly E-510 felt great in my hands and produced some nice shots.

It did blow out highlights once or twice (took about 250 clicks with it) but we tuned down the exposure just a tad and the shots were coming out rock solid. I took about 100 shots of my car and 100 of my friend's Z06 and I didn't want to put the camera down.

Comment

So wait, you just said you want something like the D300, but you're going to buy a completely different brand? That's just crazy!
                        Tanner Johnson - Owner
                        twenty53 Photography

Comment

So wait, you just said you want something like the D300, but you're going to buy a completely different brand? That's just crazy!
                          I'd rather pay the extra $500 for the Nikkor lenses when I swap over than $800 for a D40x or D60 kit that is not comfortable in my hands, and doesn't have the features I'm looking for.

I don't understand how that is so crazy. It isn't like I'm leasing a car where they charge you an arm and leg if you swap brands.

You sell one brand and buy another.

Comment

It's crazy because you can buy a D80 body with a cheap lens for a little more.

You say you'll just sell and buy another. That's extremely expensive (equipment depreciates, alot!) and with having a cheaper system to begin with it'll be worth practically nothing. I know people who have switched and it's cost them an arm and a leg.

It's just an opinion, and you can buy what you want, but you might as well save up and buy a nicer system (Start with the D80) because you're already halfway there. Sometimes waiting is the best option. All the cameras I have bought have been used except my very first (350D) and the one I just bought tonight. Take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I would go for a bigger brand. You can pick up a used 20D or 30D for the same as the Olympus. Hell even a 1D.
                            Tanner Johnson - Owner
                            twenty53 Photography

Comment

It's crazy because you can buy a D80 body with a cheap lens for a little more.

You say you'll just sell and buy another. That's extremely expensive (equipment depreciates, alot!) and with having a cheaper system to begin with it'll be worth practically nothing. I know people who have switched and it's cost them an arm and a leg.

It's just an opinion, and you can buy what you want, but you might as well save up and buy a nicer system (Start with the D80) because you're already halfway there. Sometimes waiting is the best option. All the cameras I have bought have been used except my very first (350D) and the one I just bought tonight. Take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I would go for a bigger brand. You can pick up a used 20D or 30D for the same as the Olympus. Hell even a 1D.
                              I definitely see your point but I rarely get involved in letting my purchases being driven by brand name.

I really just need a camera with in body IS, I have mild diabetes and when I got fatigued or don't eat for a while I get slight shakes in my hands. Most of the time I can calm it down with some caffeine (yeah crazy I know, but it seems to work) but you know I'd just hate to be stranded out at a shoot by the airport or with a few friends and the cars and run across this problem. Given I will most definitely order a tripod but a tripod can't exactly help when I'm trying to catch a 737 lumbering 100 feet above me.

So where I'm coming from is if I buy something with IS in a canon/nikon of equivalent pixel size and photo quality to the Olympus I'll be looking at around $1000 or even more.

Comment

After a quick run to wolf camera in Dallas I played with DSLRs high and low.

The D40 actually wasn't too bad. I may just start with the D40 and upgrade to a D80 body in a year or so.

A D40 with 18-55 VR and 55-200 VR would definitely be something to consider. The D60 would be awesome but it'd be stretching my budget pretty thin.

The 400D/XTI still just doesn't feel right in my hands for some reason. Maybe because I'm a dumb monkey with giant hands.

The Sony was comfortable but there is an intangible with the Sony...I just don't feel like it is the best camera out of the 4 or 5 I'm checking out.

The Pentax also felt good, its a bigger chunkier body. However it has a higher price point than most of the others. Although the reviews seem to point in a good direction...does anyone know anymore about this offering?

Comment

Working...
                                X