Photo requests for "Personal use"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PMN View Post
    Yes but why does it have to be above 2MB? This is the point. For someone who simply wants an image to view, what real relevence does the file size have?

Paul
    My thoughts exactly.

I've had plenty of requests but have never given him one. He can pay me for my time if he wants me to go back to photoshop, find the original file and then re-edit to hi-res for him.

Comment

Originally posted by PMN View Post
      Why would he need such a high resolution of they're purely for his own use?
      Why can't he just look at the images in the database already?
      I don't get it, and that is exactly the reason I'm suspicious.

Paul
      That's a question that I also ask myself and I agree with you that it is a bit strange.
      And I'm thinking about it to ask him the exact reason for this, I'm curious what he says.

Comment

The question has to be, what can he do with a 2MB image as far as printing is concerned?

Let’s say you have 1024x768 image and you re-edit at 1536x1152, (ie a 50% increase) your file size will then be 1.77MB, which is near enough to 2MB to suit our purpose here.

To get a reasonable quality of printing you need to use a minimum of 300 dpi, so the image size will be 5.12 x 3.84 inches. If you push the size a little more he may be able to get a 6 x 4. He is therefore not going to be getting a poster size image or even enough to do a cover page at any standard acceptable to a publisher.

My understanding is that any reasonable publisher will be looking for a 16bit Tiff file not an 8bit JPEG and that would be far too large to send to send by e-mail.

Comment

Originally posted by cja View Post
          The question has to be, what can he do with a 2MB image as far as printing is concerned?

Let’s say you have 1024x768 image and you re-edit at 1536x1152, (ie a 50% increase) your file size will then be 1.77MB, which is near enough to 2MB to suit our purpose here.

To get a reasonable quality of printing you need to use a minimum of 300 dpi, so the image size will be 5.12 x 3.84 inches. If you push the size a little more he may be able to get a 6 x 4. He is therefore not going to be getting a poster size image or even enough to do a cover page at any standard acceptable to a publisher.

My understanding is that any reasonable publisher will be looking for a 16bit Tiff file not an 8bit JPEG and that would be far too large to send to send by e-mail.
          He ask's 2 mb because the result will be beter for his '' 16"x20" inches for my private collection''

Comment

Originally posted by arjenp View Post
            He ask's 2 mb because the result will be beter for his '' 16"x20" inches for my private collection''

In his dreams!!

Some one please correct me if I have this wrong but ….

for a 16 x 20 at 300dpi he will need a 4800 x 6000 image which is 28Mp.

Even if he uses fractals to blow up the image the quality will be poor.

He will also need a very expensive printer!
            Last edited by cja; 2009-01-06, 12:49. Reason: Add info

Comment

Originally posted by cja View Post
              In his dreams!!

Some one please correct me if I have this wrong but ….

for a 16 x 20 at 300dpi he will need a 4800 x 6000 image which is 28Mp.

Even if he uses fractals to blow up the image the quality will be poor.

He will also need a very expensive printer!
              That's what he literally said to me.

Comment

If the guy would just make a post here explaining what it is exactly what he wants, then I wouldn´t mind to send him the pic. But if he only anonimously emails people ... I have my doubts then after reading this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Hinkelbein View Post
                  If the guy would just make a post here explaining what it is exactly what he wants, then I wouldn´t mind to send him the pic. But if he only anonimously emails people ... I have my doubts then after reading this topic.
                  Have you send him your Korean?

Comment

This guy continue a send me Email for photos of 777 TAAG,and i delete and block this guy,all pay attention with this guy!

Comment

Ignore and delete!

Comment

Apparently he's back. Just got similar request for my latest China Cargo 777 screened within last 24hrs.

Brgds TK

Comment

Tell him that a 2mb+ image will cost him £100 or whatever your currency equivalent is. Tell him that any other image is copyrighted and will attract a lower fee not less than £50. That should shut him up and reduce the number of emails that I have to oversee !
                          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I posted this on a similar topic on this forum:

I've had a few e-mails from him in the past and in my kindness/naivety/stupidity, I've let him have a few of my photos as he has asked for. I think he is genuinely just interested in 777s and he doesn't have a sinister intention. He works for an aerospace company and he has sent me some very nice branded items of clothing in the past for free as a gesture for my photos. I've not heard much from him recently because I've not had many unique 777 shots uploaded here.

Oh and in response to getting free stuff from him I sent him a Cathay 777 model.
                            Last edited by Colin Parker; 2013-10-05, 23:47. Reason: sentence added.
                            Have a look at my photos, including Kai Tak crazy landings!http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=460

Comment

That was kind of you Colin. He is pretty well known here for being someone with a massive interest in Boeing 777's. Possibly he floods us with emails (I've just approved another 8 or 10) because he knows that for every 20 or 30 requests he might get one positive reply.
                              Personally, I don't like the idea of having a hi-res image released publicly when I have no protection over where its going and how it's going to be used so I politely decline his requests with the comment that he is more than welcome to use the images uploaded at JP if he wishes.

It's unfortunate that this attitude needs to be taken but the reality is that a lot of photographers have had their images used commercially because they released higher resolution images innocently believing that they were for "personal use".
                              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I agree Brian. People need to be very careful about these types of requests and very mindful of the potential misuse and copyright infringement by doing so. Everyone needs to make their own mind up on whether they share or not but beware especially to newer photographers that there are consequences in sharing your photos for free to strangers!
                                Have a look at my photos, including Kai Tak crazy landings!http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=460

Comment

Working...
                                X