SXM Sunset Beach Bar to close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SXM Sunset Beach Bar to close

Just received an email from a friend in the USA with the following link http://www2.gobeach.com/sxm/read.php...7839#msg-67839 it refers to the closure or temporary closure receantly of the institution that is the SSBB.Many of the pics you see from SXM are taken from here.
    I do hope it is resurrected in a form similar to it`s previous set up.
    Perhaps Robby or someone with more up to date information can clarify.

Sad times indeed. I've many memories from there that will stay with me always!

I really hope that it does re-open, but will it have the same atmosphere as before?

Comment

That is such a sad sight to see! I'm so glad that i got to spend a glorious week there back in October 2005! It will be missed and hopefully reserected!

James, fancy packing in carphone and going in as partners on opening a beach bar?
      Chris Sharps
      5D3 | 5D2 | 7D | 1D2 | 10D | 400D | 1V | 3
      17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS
      24F1.4L II | 50F1.2L | 85F1.2L II | 15F2.8 Fisheye | 50F1.4 | 100F2.8 Macro
      1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

Comment

Lets hope that the owners are successful with there appeal on the eviction. If not Maho Beach will not be the same.

Robin Guess Aviation Historian, Photographer, Web Designer.

http://www.Jet-Fighters.Net
        http://www.Jet-Liners.Net

Comment

Originally posted by chris78cpr
          That is such a sad sight to see! I'm so glad that i got to spend a glorious week there back in October 2005! It will be missed and hopefully reserected!

James, fancy packing in carphone and going in as partners on opening a beach bar?
          Me and Chris K had that idea back in '03 when the beach bar was changing hands. Talk about missed opportunities huh. lol

Comment

beach bar to close

Hey!

If you hung out there like we did you would feel a lot of pain in this loss.

JP and ANet folks use it as a base. The colours and light are perfect in the Spring. We have helped make it famous!

SXM is not a friendly as you would like to believe. It is almost impossible to carry on a business.Staff are hard to find that are "local" When you hire hard working "illegals" you are faced with red tape, corrupt officials and more. There is a high and low season; little biz in low.

It will be sorely missed by me. In 2006 I spent 82 days on Island. Folks like John the owner of SSBB and Robby Cintje made it easy to get perks which improved my shooting ops. Robby is leaving for Belgium ( You lucky Euros will get a chance to meet a really nice guy!

MAHO will be the same,the arrivals will diminish with AA traffic and other U.S. carriers cutting back.

I'll miss the ppl, music and the webcams. It has been the most fun filled place in the world for this 60 + geezer and John Rehak the owner hasbeen aces...

"take the ladder...shoot over the fence"

No problem....THANKS!!

Denis ( BIGDEN)

Comment

Hey guys !

As Big Den said ... I am in Belgium and all I know is from what I read in
              the local newspaper the Daily Herald on internet ......

http://www.thedailyherald.com/tdhonl...day&Itemid=139

The way I understand the matter is that SSSb will be exploited by the owners
              of the Caravanserai Hotel who are also the owners of the property the bar is
              built on ! Meaning I do not think that the Bar is permanently closed !

Cheers from a sunny Louvain in Belgium !

Robby
              Aero-Camera
              Taking photography to a higher level

Comment

An interesting piece from the media there. Pretty full on tax issues relating the management...Although it does seem that the SSBB will not be closed for good (fingers crossed).

Hey Robby, you don't fancy opening a beach bar at the end of the runway at St Barts do you? For me St Barts is still the undiscovered gem combining a picturesque island with an infamous approach and scenery. I guess its exclusivity and high prices keep it that way though.

Comment

Originally posted by BA747-436
                  An interesting piece from the media there. Pretty full on tax issues relating the management...Although it does seem that the SSBB will not be closed for good (fingers crossed).

Hey Robby, you don't fancy opening a beach bar at the end of the runway at St Barts do you? For me St Barts is still the undiscovered gem combining a picturesque island with an infamous approach and scenery. I guess its exclusivity and high prices keep it that way though.
                  There is bar at the end of the runway at SBH! It is also a banging restaurant and somewhere that sends hot girls round doing a fashion show.... I can't argue with that!
                  Chris Sharps
                  1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

Comment

There is bar at the end of the runway at SBH! It is also a banging restaurant and somewhere that sends hot girls round doing a fashion show.... I can't argue with that!
                    Agree, but its not a real 'bar'. More a expensive (bloody good) French restaurant which happens to sell over priced (warm) Carib's. They make up for this by offering some awesome fillet steak & frites and as said, some dame fine looking woman doing odd fashion shows to the sounds of a dj spinning house music. Interesting mix, kinda fun really but not cheap!

Comment

St.Barths is really the territory for the rich 'n famous ..... you may bang into
                      Mr.Allen or Gates during xmas time or run into Mr. Kadafi jr.... just to mention
                      a few ..... all by all for me it can't touch the exitement of low flying heavies over
                      the cristal blue water and snow white sands of Maho ....... not even when you
                      add a diving BN2 or Twotter to the SBX scene ! Hey we all have our preferences
                      and I hope to meet you guys sometime on any side of that famous Maho beach !

Happy spotting !

Robby
                      Aero-Camera
                      Taking photography to a higher level

Comment

Yeh agreed Robby SBH is a place for the "rich and famous"although I was only there on a day trip.It is the only place I where I have seen a couple in their 50`s strolling along the beach...he in expensive looking shorts wishing he where/or with someone else...she in a gold designer bikini with matching sandals and to top it all a full set of evening jewelry.
                        Getting back to the SSBB at SXM I do hope it reopens if only for the WC eight or nine hours is a long time when you are based in Oyster Pond

Comment

Just give me the nod dude and i'll be there!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by B7772ADL
                            Just give me the nod dude and i'll be there!!!!
                            Haha, even though you've just moved into the castle and signed a 6month lease? Still got my garden stool? lol
                            Last edited by B7772ADL; 2008-08-01, 16:41. Reason: Hit the wrong button!
                            Chris Sharps
                            1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

Comment

Haha, even though you've just moved into the castle and signed a 6month lease? Still got my garden stool? lol

Oh crap....the stool.......ummmmmmmmmmmmm

It's in the new flat somewhere safe!

Comment

Working...
                              X