Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with a new picture

Hello,

I took this photo a while ago, on May 28th, I was working on improving the photo in Photoshop CS 2, but I still need some advice on how to improve it.

Here's the Photo,

Thank you,

Rohan

To me it looks a bit blurry but it might just be my monitor.

What kind of camera was this taken with and what settings?

-Chris

Comment

It is defenitely blurry.

It seems to me a photo taken through a window, what can cause the bluriness.
      It looks also a bit dark.
      But I am not a photoscreener..................

Freek

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the helpful advice. As, for the picture being a bit blurry, if I sharpen the picture more it becomes over-sharp. I was thinking about using selective sharpening on some areas especially "the Chatam Historic Dockyard," the cockpit frame, and the "MMD" on the landing gear. In addition, the picture is a bit "contrasty" because I took right before the sunset, if anyone could help me on fixing that I would really be greatful.

I used a Cannon Rebel XSI with the 18-55 mm lens. The photo was taken in landscape mode.

Thank you very much for the great advice,

Rohan

Comment

Sorry mate but there seems to be no way to fix this picture. No amount of anything will fix a blurry picture.

As for your settings I saw you had 1/50 shutter speed and f/5.6. Handheld you have to be extremely steady to get a somewhat clear shot. At those numbers you should be using a tripod. Try to venture into your camera's manual settings. Try TV or Av mode. Set ISO to 100. Set f/stop to somewhere around 8 in good lighting and open it up more when the light begins to fade. In Tv mode your shutter speed has to be atleast the focal length of the shot. So if you are taking a shot a 70mm your shutter speed has to be atleast 1/70, a shot at 100mm, 1/100, etc. The purpose of a DSLR is to use the manual modes. A DSLR in Auto mode is just as good as a P&S.

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by z740 View Post
            A DSLR in Auto mode is just as good as a P&S.
            Ken Rockwell would disagree, although he doesn't shoot aviation.

It is indeed slightly blurry and unfortunately quite backlit, too. The sky behind is already somewhat over-exposed and would require some fairly serious burning of the highlights to make it look remotely natural. Unfortunately I'd say the amount of processing this image would need to be considered worthy of uploading would simply reduce the quality further. Perhaps it's best kept for the personal collection.

It's nice to see a shot of an aircraft I've flown on, though!

Paul
            Last edited by PMN; 2008-11-08, 17:36.
            Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for all of your help. I guess this photo will go into my personal collection, but the photo isn't totally worthless, I can use them for a flight review. Overall, I think this photo shows improvement as my last photos were crowded with foreground clutter. However, I would like to have such a photo in the database one day, could anyone offer any advice?

The BA flight arrives into Denver at around 6:15-6:30 pm and departs around 8:30. By the time they moved all of the catering and baggage trucks away it was around 7:25, the sunset took place around 8:35 pm that day. Is there anyway to get a good photo of this plane in slightly dim light at around 7:25-7:45 pm? Also, I had just bought the DSLR two days before this photo, so I hadn't had time to play around with it, I will definitely try the manual modes and maybe look into buying the 28-105 EF Canon lens.

PS: The sky looked a lot better in the original photo, it got messed up with my cropping and sharpening.

It's nice to see a shot of an aircraft I've flown on, though!
              Very Cool!

Thank you for the help,

Rohan

Comment

I take it you shot through the glass of a terminal building. Most terminal glass is tinted and this one has a bluish tint to it. Set the white point on something that you know to be pure white. Alternatively, set the grey point on the nosegear tyre sidewall. This should cure the blue tint.

Unfortunately the sky in your shot is blown out as evidenced by the overexposure indicated in the histogram. There is detail in the sky but to make it visible will involve a serious amount of overprocessing.

When shooting at slow shutter speeds without a tripod find a clean part of the terminal glass, focus with the lens just off the glass and then put the lens against the glass. Lean a shoulder against the glass and steady yourself as much as possible. Be sure that there are no reflections or glare visible in the viewfinder.

This pic was shot at 1/20 sec handheld so it can be done...

[photoid=5991614]
                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the advice. Here's a photo of mine that is unedited, but came out a lot better. Just a question, if I had slightly zoomed out on the aircraft to allow for more of the sky, would that have helped make the sky look less overexposed.

[img=http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/9463/canonrebelpicturessummesh2.th.jpg][img=http://img356.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif]

or
                  Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

Thank you,

Rohan

Comment

Hello,

I have been working on the photo a little bit more and I think it looks a little better now.
                    Here's the photo

Thank you,

Rohan

Comment

But it's dark and cluttered. I don't like the picture. Sorry.
                      http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=21893

Comment

I agree it's dark, and it lacks contrast too.

Regards
                        Alex

Comment

Originally posted by arnie View Post
                          But it's dark and cluttered. I don't like the picture. Sorry.
                          Blunt but to the point, I suppose.

Sadly there are times you have to just accept some of the qualities that make an original image uploadable simply arn't there, and unfortunately I think this is one of those times. It's a nice general photo but I think it's more of a 'snapshot' than something you can turn into a high quality image suitable for JP. Stick it on Flickr or somewhere like that though so it can at least experience life on the internet.

Paul

My images on Flickr

Comment

Hello,

Yeah, I definitely agree, the first comment below the second photo was a little blunt. I know the original photo is overexposed and isn't good enough for JP.net, but the point of second photo was just to see if you guys thought the photo showed a little improvement, I was never intending to put it in the queue. Anyway, thank you all for all of the great advice and hopefully I'll do better in the future. Also, just a question, had this photo been of significantly higher quality with the cargo door closed, would you still consider it a "snapshot." Thank you for advising me to put the photo on flickr.

Thank you,

Rohan

Comment

Originally posted by rohank4284 View Post
                              Also, just a question, had this photo been of significantly higher quality with the cargo door closed, would you still consider it a "snapshot."
                              Hi Rohan,

It wasn't really about the cargo door being open. I don't see a problem with that at all, but there are many different aspects to 'quality' and when you have an original image, whether you took it with uploading to JP in mind or not, that image would need to have those certain aspects of quality to allow it to be editable to JP standards. For this to not be what I referred to as a 'snapshot' it would have to have better lighting; it really is quite backlit and if you were wanting to upload it to JP you'd spot that immediately and know it wouldn't work. Also you can very clearly tell it's shot through glass. Custom White Balancing or shooting in RAW and adjusting afterwards can help with this to a point, but with white balance you're shifting the colours between the cool and warm ends of the spectrum, i.e. blue and red. In this case there's a distinct green hue that will be quite awkward to make look natural. It's also, as has been said before, a little blurry and unfortunately no amount or technique of sharpening can correct that (as I've found out trying to sharpen many of my own blurred photos!)

I referred to it as a snapshot because it was taken in circumstances that haven't allowed the quality of your DSLR to come through. Essentially you'd have ended up with a very similar photo had you used a good modern point and shoot and so unfortunately it just looks like a quick photo taken through the window at an airport. Circumstances were simply against you and there wasn't really any way you could have taken this photo and had a JP-able edit out of it. The main reason to my eyes being the backlighting. It's a shame aircraft don't board from the right side so you could have taken it from the other side and had the light with you!

Hope that helps,

Paul
                              Last edited by PMN; 2008-11-12, 10:43.

My images on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X