Photos with white cloud cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos with white cloud cover?

I want to hear suggestions on how to take pictures when there is a "curtain" of white clouds in the background....

what happens is that when you take photos with the sun behind, in order to avoid backlit pictures, the sun rays are also going to hit those clouds and there is a high posibility of overexposing or whites being too strong on the plane (with white planes) or on the clouds or both....

How does everybody cope with this issue? or it's better to just call it a day in this situation?

Thanks!

A good thing to do would probably be stepping the exposure down a bit and see how they look. I tend to never call it a day in lighting conditions like what you're describing unless there is absolutely nothing going on. There are some more experienced people on here that can help out more, so I'll let them explain what they can. I try different modes and settings to see what looks best and have a base to go off of and fluctuate the settings only slightly around that base to attain the shot I have in
    mind.
    Sometimes I expose it to where the clouds are evenly exposed and maybe use a fill flash to get the plane. But that's if the plane isn't airborne.
    Hope this helps.

Comment

Sometimes it may help to shoot into the sun, if the reflected light is brighter. Did it sometimes, but of course not with the best results, but still better than expected.

But, to put it clear: sometimes I simply don't take photos in such conditions.
      My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Working...
      X