Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terminal Check-in Overview: Bad motive???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminal Check-in Overview: Bad motive???

How can below photo be a rejection for bad motive:

I have a similar photo in the database from that check-in hall taken on 2006 before that airport had self service check-in kiosks, see below photo:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6184508

A388

Roger,
    The question you have to ask yourself is "What am I trying to show here?"

On the rejected pic the main subject seem to be the automatic checkin machine and some lines...
    The accepted one is very borderline in terms of motiv and I would say you got pretty lucky it got accepted.
    For terminal shots you always have to wonder what you're showing 'cause way too often we get pics of a shop or some benches...

Regards
    Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Omar Alex Saffe View Post
      Roger,
      The question you have to ask yourself is "What am I trying to show here?"

On the rejected pic the main subject seem to be the automatic checkin machine and some lines...
      The accepted one is very borderline in terms of motiv and I would say you got pretty lucky it got accepted.
      For terminal shots you always have to wonder what you're showing 'cause way too often we get pics of a shop or some benches...

Regards
      Alex
      Alex, the photo has everything to do with aviation. I really fail to see your point as to what I am trying to focus, I really fail to see it. There are numorous check-in hall overviews in the database. I have another photo in the database that is exactly the same. See my below link:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6149006

Don't tell me "I got lucky here too" because if I were lucky here again, than there is something wrong with the screening itself.

Just look up any check-in hall photos in the database and they will show you they are exactly the same, which means showing the viewer the check-in hall of the airport in question. I don't upload such photos if I would not find those photos in the database. In this case, there are tons of check-in hall photos to be found.

A388

Comment

I agress with Alex. All I see is some line ropes and check in machines.

Very boring photo that no one is going to miss by not having it in the database. Keep it for your personal collection. The photo is not interesting in any way and a very boring scene.

He gave you his opinion, which you asked for, and then you bash him for it. I also do not feel the other photo should have been accepted.

Maybe if the terminal was an architectural wonder such as Terminal 5 at JFK, but it is not. It's white and it's square. Hardly interesting.
        Tanner Johnson - Owner
        twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner_J View Post
          I agress with Alex. All I see is some line ropes and check in machines.

Very boring photo that no one is going to miss by not having it in the database. Keep it for your personal collection. The photo is not interesting in any way and a very boring scene.

He gave you his opinion, which you asked for, and then you bash him for it. I also do not feel the other photo should have been accepted.

Maybe if the terminal was an architectural wonder such as Terminal 5 at JFK, but it is not. It's white and it's square. Hardly interesting.
          Tanner, I'm not bashing anyone. I'm just looking for an explanation to the numerous check-in hall photo there are in the database that are no architectural wonders as you put it but are still in the database. I just did a search on airport overviews and found photos from Birmingham, Rockhamton, Hong Kong, Singapore, and the list goes on. These are no architectural wonders either as you put it but equally interesting photos. Why are all those photos still in the database, explain that to me. What's the difference, please tell me.

A388

Comment

Tanner, thanks for your input.

Roger, I gave you my opinion and the explanation why it got rejected, again I think you have to step back a bit and really think about the motiv of such a pic. If after that you still think that check-in machines or counters make a good motiv, well I can only tell you that we'll disagree about it.

As a more personnal note I have more than 3000 pics in the DB and not a single terminal one. I rarely open an image of terminal except if the composition or the building itself is interesting, Madrid or Berlin Tempelhof are places that come to my mind. Again this is personnal and doesn't mean that as a crew we don't like terminal shots.

Don't think I can help much more.

Best regards and merry Christmas to all
            Alex

Comment

I have to agree with Alex and Tanner J. All the photo actually shows is a small bit of a very unexciting part of an airport and because you haven't taken it at a particularly wide focal length there's very little to hold your interest. Shots like this I often find work better at wider angles:

A view of a very quiet T5. All but 4 of the days flights have departed and there are only a handful of people as well as myself and fellow JP contributers Tom Gautier and Ben Rowley wandering around this enormous and spectacular terminal.. EGLL. Airport. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

The new D Pier at Dublin. It has to be said, it's far better than you might imagine for a pier built to be used essentially by Ryanair. Plenty of seating, a small but pleasant bar and a general open and airy vibe make this a pleasant terminal to travel through.. EIDW. Airport. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

These wider perspectives give a much better idea of what the terminal is actually like, which if you think about it, is exactly what your motive for taking a terminal shot would be; to show what it's like. As Alex has previously mentioned, when taking terminal shots, think about what you're actually trying to show. Ask yourself what is there of interest in the photo you're taking? What does it show? Does the feel of the place come across in the photo? How many things is your eye drawn to when you look at the photo? If it's only one or two things then it probably isn't all that interesting an image. If your eye is drawn to 5 or 6 points around the photo, the chances are you've caught the situation reasonably well.

Hope that helps.

Paul
              Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Working...
              X