Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminal Window Shots

All,

I have seen some great shots from terminals before and was wondering how to properly expose them. Is it luck of the draw that they don't get the glare or is there a way to remove the glare in PS.

Eddie

What I do to reduce/eliminate glare is I find where the glare is coming from, and then put my hand up to block the glare. I also get as close to the glass as possible and find the cleanest spot I can.
    And as for exposing, I don't change anything as if I was shooting outside.

Comment

Hi Eddie,

When you say glare do you mean the reflections you often get when you're close to the glass you're shooting through?

Paul
      Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Just as an example, for night shots like these, I took my jacket (a light rain jacket that's dark) and situated it to block the lights from inside.
        [photoid=6363180]
        [photoid=6409688]

Comment

Reflections in the image when you shoot through the glass cannot be removed. They make for an unuseable image as far as JP is concerned.
          You can, however, reduce the chance of them occurring.

-Find a clean area of glass.

-Get the lens as close as possible to the glass.

-If you have a hard lenshood you may be better off removing it.

-A rubber lenshood helps as you can get the rim right up against the glass. Watch out for vignetting though.

-When you hold the camera up to the glass throw a dark lined coat or dark coloured material over your head and shoulders to reduce or eliminate reflections.

-In processing, remember that there will probably be a colour cast from the glass which in my experience is normally blue. Use the white point and / or grey point dropper to set the colour balance.

.....and finally....

Be prepared for some VERY odd looks from fellow non-photographer passengers !!
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Yes I'd just like to back up Brian by saying make sure you look in post processing for the colour cast that always seems to come from windows. More than likely Blue or Gold. I've seen a few good photos go through the system and be rejected for the colour shift.
            Of course if you know your camera you can manual white balance also.

Comment

Working...
            X