Spotting Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotting Tips

You might say "noo not another goofy photographer".., but I'm not a photographer who has that much experience with digital cameras. That is a lot to learn for me and that's why I'm here.

First thing that strikes me is the focal length range. My old camera was an analog one, canon xyz.. , I've forgotten the name of it, it was equipped with a focal length range of 35-70 mm, so far so bad.
    Maybe it's not the best tip to go spotting with this dinosaur of a camera... Indeed I go watching planes without this camera. Until now I've read some camera and lens reviews on dpreview so that I wonder why the lenses are e.g. 18-55 mm . I understand that for digital compact cameras they say e.g. equiv. 36-432 mm. But why don't they say "equiv." for lenses?

And is there a way to convert the "lense-format" into "equivalent-format"?
    (maybe this is only for people like me who were not raised with DSLR )

And finally, which focal length range would you prefer when you had to buy a digital compact camera? Equiv. 35-210 mm or does it have to be a superzoom (with worse aperture range)?

So long.
    The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

First of all welcome to the forum
    How much mm you need depends on your home spotting location. 35-210 could be enough, but other spots need sometimes 300 or 400 mm to get a good shot

Comment

I would look for at least a 100-400 tele and then a shorter lens for taxi shots depending on how close you can get to the taxi way.

You would want to fill the frame as much as possible so you don't have to crop.

[photoid=6418368]

My local airport's taxi way is very close to my viewing point, I can get the smaller fighters at the low end of my Sigma 50-500 but any large aircraft I would need to switch to my Sigma 17-50.

Welcome aboard!

Comment

The Canon superzooms like the S5 IS or SX10 are all you need, do not complicate your life with lenses until you are ready. (I will not do it)

Comment

Working...
        X