Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Canon EF-S 18-200mm lens worth buying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Canon EF-S 18-200mm lens worth buying?

Hello,

I have a Cannon Rebel XSI and I was looking into buying a better lens than the standard EF-S 18-55 one. Is the Cannon EF-S 18-200mm lens a good choice to buy if it is below US$500? If anyone recommend anything better, I would appreciate that too. My budget is $400-650.

Regards,

Rohan

Dpreview seems to have given it a reasonable review. It's a very new lens so I don't know anyone who's got it or even used one.

The Canon 70-300 IS is a good choice also if you want a good quality compact zoom.

Comment

Why don't you checkout the 55-250 is lens? This lens combined with the lens you've got is generally regarded to have much higher quality than the various 18-200 lenses (including the canon version).
      http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=21893

Comment

Originally posted by arnie View Post
        Why don't you checkout the 55-250 is lens? This lens combined with the lens you've got is generally regarded to have much higher quality than the various 18-200 lenses (including the canon version).
        I originally checked out the Canon 55-250mm lens, but I haven't heard that great things about it, which is why I started looking at the new Canon 18-200mm lens. Regarding the Canon 55-250mm lens, many photographers have claimed that when shooting in bright light the colors are over saturated and tend to get a gray hue. Also, I have heard that the plastic mount is pretty fragile. However, I'll probably take another look at the lens and I will search for photos in the database taken with that lens. Just wondering, but do you have any personal experience with that lens that you could share?

Thank you for the advice,

Rohan

Comment

Originally posted by B7772ADL View Post
          Dpreview seems to have given it a reasonable review. It's a very new lens so I don't know anyone who's got it or even used one.

The Canon 70-300 IS is a good choice also if you want a good quality compact zoom.
          Thank you for the link to Dpreview. I'll check out the Canon 70-300IS lens as well.

Rohan

Comment

Originally posted by rohank4284 View Post
            Thank you for the link to Dpreview. I'll check out the Canon 70-300IS lens as well.

Rohan

Google it, it aint that hard

Comment

Hey..just got myself the Sigma 18-200 F3.5 6.3 with IS and i took it out yesterday and i love it.My new all general purpose lens.If you want to save money why don't you try this lens.

Comment

Originally posted by vianden88 View Post
                Hey..just got myself the Sigma 18-200 F3.5 6.3 with IS and i took it out yesterday and i love it.My new all general purpose lens.If you want to save money why don't you try this lens.

Thank you for the great advice. I'm definitely looking into this lens. I like having the versatility of an 18-200mm because that way you can get a good range of shots without repeatedly changing the lens.

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

Hello,

I have done a lot of research over the past week on nearly all of these lenses and from what I can gather the Canon 18-200mm IS lens isn't that sharp at 200mm. The Canon 70-300 IS lens appears to be much sharper and it has a metal mount, sorry I really hate plastic mounts as they are really fragile. I generally do light spotting outside airports and some gate shots when I am in the airport. Typically, the 18-55mm lens provides a good enough range when shooting a plane at the gate, but the range is a little less for shooting planes on the taxiway. I think the 18-55mm IS lens combined with the Canon 70-300 IS lens will provide better quality pictures than the Canon 18-200mm lens.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

Working...
                  X