too dark for JP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too dark for JP?

I recently had this picture rejected for dark/underexposed. It's a belly shot taken near sunset of a DC-10 landing by the In-N-Out here at LAX. Is it worth the trouble of appealing? I dont want to make it brighter as that would not be the actual conditions I took the shot under.

Thanks!

It is a little dark, but I think it's a great shot. Something different. The tail seems a little soft too. I think it should be accepted (my opinion), but if the say it doesn't meet their standards then not much you can do.

Kudos to you for getting a cool photograph. I'd rather look at that then a side on shot any day, just because it doesn't make it here doesn't mean it's not a good photo.
    Tanner Johnson - Owner
    twenty53 Photography

Comment

If you want to have the photo in the db, you haven't got a choise I think. You can use the Brightness and curves option. Watch out for overexposure on the nose

Comment

Create a background layer, go to curves, select the dark underbelly and move the graph line up to lighten the underbelly. Delete the sky VERY carefully to make sure there are no "hotspots" and also keep that beautiful blue sky.

Selective sharpening isn't going to help too much on the rear horizontal fin but try a bit to see what happens.

Flatten.

Save.

Reupload.

.....because personally, I love the different angle from the standard 3/4 front or side on shot.......and that comes from someone whose last 75 accepted shots were standard 3/4 front or side on shots !!

Let me be very clear here, I'm saying PERSONALLY.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Here is a real quick edit to show what Brian is talking about. With layers and layer masks you can really do a lot in Photoshop, it really adds in a whole new dimension of editing.

It is hard to bring detail in from being too dark. I personally underexpose 99% of my photos because they can be fixed. This one may have been a little too dark.
          Tanner Johnson - Owner
          twenty53 Photography

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess i'll try giving it another edit, and see what happens.

Comment

that is definitely a wonderful photograph!
              Will C.

Comment

Originally posted by bruin787 View Post
                Thanks for the advice guys. I guess i'll try giving it another edit, and see what happens.
                If at the end it looks somewhere like Tanner_J's edit, you'll be fine. And I agree with the above: something different, which I like. In addition, the light worked for you as well, becuase often I get to see such shots with an overexposed background.
                My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Yep, if you can work the magic that Tanner has done it should be accepted no problem. The belly was so dark you couldn't make out any detail.

Comment

Working...
                  X