Settings on EOS (others as well)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Settings on EOS (others as well)

I have some questions on the settings on my EOS 400D.

There are some pre-programmed settings available from which the user can chose:

- Standard
    - Portrait
    - Landscape
    - Neutral
    - Natural
    - User defined

Are some of you using one of the pre-programmed settings?
    If so, which one??

And should you use the User Defined option, how (what value) do you set sharpening?
    There seem to be two opinions on sharpening. Some say itīs wise to do some in-camera sharpening (by setting the sharpening option in the User Defined section), others say you only sharpen afterwards with the software!

What is wisdom and will you share it with me?
    (Donīt respond by saying: "just experience for yourself", because I am curious what you think!).

Greets,

Hinkelbein

D'oh...I was tired and read that wrong......Standard is the one I use, with everything set to the neutral position.

As for sharpening mine's set on 0, and I do the rest in Photoshop. I can't say that i've come across many people that rely on in camera sharpening at all. If you want the best user controllable sharpening, then do it all in the post processing.
    Last edited by B7772ADL; 2009-01-21, 11:23.

Comment

I use the Vivid setting on my 40D.

Comment

I will try that next time, that is I will use neutral settings and no in-camera sharpening. And of course compare the results with previous results.

Comment

I use Standard with sharpen on 3(I think that's automatically).
          And afterwards I also sharpen with PS CS3 or 4. All my photo's in the db are taken with these settings and with 3 or 4 kicks of USM 50% 0.3.

Shot taken with 300 mm are softer then a ramp shot at AMS for example. If you have a spotting location where you have to use your lens at it's max amount of mm a different setting good give a better shot

Comment

Standard. I have used 0 in camera sharpening and +2 in cam sharpening. I personally have had better results with mine set at +2 in cam plus some USM in CS2. The best way will be trial and error.

Comment

Originally posted by turbotraker View Post
              Standard. I have used 0 in camera sharpening and +2 in cam sharpening. I personally have had better results with mine set at +2 in cam plus some USM in CS2. The best way will be trial and error.
              I looked thru your photos. Nice pictures among them
              I wonder: do you shot in RAW or JPG?

Comment

I shoot RAW exclusively now. You get the maximum amount of detail to work with in Photoshop.
                All my in-camera settings are set to neutral with 0 sharpening.

I tend to shoot 0 EV exposure compensation for no shadow cloudy days, -0.33 EV for bright cloud and -0.7 EV for bright sun. This helps to prevent white tone burnout and makes for easier processing in Photoshop.
                These settings are on my Nikon D80's.
                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                  I shoot RAW exclusively now. You get the maximum amount of detail to work with in Photoshop.
                  All my in-camera settings are set to neutral with 0 sharpening.

I tend to shoot 0 EV exposure compensation for no shadow cloudy days, -0.33 EV for bright cloud and -0.7 EV for bright sun. This helps to prevent white tone burnout and makes for easier processing in Photoshop.
                  These settings are on my Nikon D80's.
                  Is the D80 about the same as the 400D?

Comment

Originally posted by arjenp View Post
                    Is the D80 about the same as the 400D?
                    Both fill the same market slot with similar functions. Actually, my wife has a 400D. I must try it one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Hinkelbein View Post
                      I looked thru your photos. Nice pictures among them
                      I wonder: do you shot in RAW or JPG?
                      I used to stick to JPG until a fellow spotter at Manchester urged me to shoot it RAW, have never looked back since. If your comfortable with shooting RAW, I would urge anyone to try it.

Comment

Hello,

Unfortunately, I've only had my Canon Rebel XSI (EOS 450D) for about 7 months, so I'm not an expert. When I first got it, everything I used to shoot was in Auto or Landscape mode. However, when I asked for advice on some of my photos, some JP.net members urged me to try the Tv, Av, or full Manual modes. After playing around with Manual mode, I finally got it to work and I agree the image quality is much higher. A good tip I got, was that the focal length should be near the shutter speed in good light, for instance, 1/80 shutter to 8.0 focal length and to set the ISO to 100 or 200. I have never used RAW mode and I never use in-camera sharpening because it can ruin a crisp photo. I always use Photoshop.

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

Forgot to mention that I use aperture priority at around f8, ISO 100. I'll go to ISO 200 sometimes if the weather gets a bit dull and to allow a decent shutter speed. I don't normally go above ISO 200, I go to the pub instead

Comment

ToBrain

Do I understand well Brain, that you go to the pub with your camera?
                            Telling your wife to go out to take some (whisky) shots?

Comment

My last two uploaded photos (23rd january) were RAW files. The quality is much better, though the weather on that day was extremely helpful: very sunny!

I canīt wait till thereīs a sunny day ... right now itīs so bad

Can you see from the exif that accompany the pics on this website if a shot was originally a raw file?
                              Last edited by Hinkelbein; 2009-01-23, 10:00. Reason: added a question

Comment

Working...
                              X