Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cristian15 - Prescreening request / editing advice

Hi.
    This is my first message in the forum, I apologize if I have any errors because I am using the google translator.
    Lately I have had many photos rejected for "JPG compression artefacts", something that did not happen to me in previous years. The question is, what am I doing wrong? How do I detect this when viewing the photo? How can i avoid it?. I attach the last photo that was rejected for this reason.
    The editing programs I've always used are Gimp and Photoscape.

Click image for larger version

Name:	79530_1608007334.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	502.8 KB
ID:	1105272

Originally posted by cristian15 View Post
    Hi.
    This is my first message in the forum, I apologize if I have any errors because I am using the google translator.
    Lately I have had many photos rejected for "JPG compression artefacts", something that did not happen to me in previous years. The question is, what am I doing wrong? How do I detect this when viewing the photo? How can i avoid it?. I attach the last photo that was rejected for this reason.
    The editing programs I've always used are Gimp and Photoscape.
    Could be your save settings not being high enough (actual file compression), but I'd guess it has more to do with your camera. Mega-zoom bridge cameras like your P610 tend to have relatively small sensors in order to fit that massive focal range in a compact body, and as such sacrifice actual pixel quality. If you're not cropping too much or using the extreme ends of the zoom this usually won't show up, but in the case of your recent rejection(s) that's probably the most likely culprit, if you are in fact saving your images at the highest jpg quality.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

Could be your save settings not being high enough (actual file compression), but I'd guess it has more to do with your camera. Mega-zoom bridge cameras like your P610 tend to have relatively small sensors in order to fit that massive focal range in a compact body, and as such sacrifice actual pixel quality. If you're not cropping too much or using the extreme ends of the zoom this usually won't show up, but in the case of your recent rejection(s) that's probably the most likely culprit, if you are in fact saving your images at the highest jpg quality.
      Thanks for your answer.
      It's weird, because I've been using the P610 for over 4 years, and I didn't have that problem before. This particular photo was not taken with much zoom, as the aircraft was just over 100 meters from my position; I have photos that were accepted and that were taken from a distance of up to 500 meters, always with the same camera.
      Maybe it could be a bad setting in the save when editing, I will investigate.
      Lastly, when viewing the photo before sending it, how can I tell if it has JPG compression? because at first glance I can not distinguish it.

Comment

Thanks for your answer.
        It's weird, because I've been using the P610 for over 4 years, and I didn't have that problem before. This particular photo was not taken with much zoom, as the aircraft was just over 100 meters from my position; I have photos that were accepted and that were taken from a distance of up to 500 meters, always with the same camera.
        Maybe it could be a bad setting in the save when editing, I will investigate.
        Lastly, when viewing the photo before sending it, how can I tell if it has JPG compression? because at first glance I can not distinguish it.
        Usually shows up in the sky or wherever there are hard transitions (sharp edges, straight lines, etc.)

Comment

Hello.
          At the request of a member of the JP crew, I am posting again in this thread:
          The past week I had three photos rejected for the reason of "Over Processed / Bad postprocessing", I am attaching these photos in the same resolution that they were sent.
          Honestly, I can't detect what aspects they consider to be over-processed or badly post-processed in those photos.
          I wish you could explain it to me, so that I can keep it in mind for the next photos that I will upload to the queue.

Regards.

Name:	DSC_0351 LV-OFT.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	488.2 KB
ID:	1164018

Name:	DSC_0339 LV-JCE.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	534.1 KB
ID:	1164017

Name:	DSC_2755 TC-64.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	356.1 KB
ID:	1164016

Comment

Hello.
            At the request of a member of the JP crew, I am posting again in this thread:
            The past week I had three photos rejected for the reason of "Over Processed / Bad postprocessing", I am attaching these photos in the same resolution that they were sent.
            Honestly, I can't detect what aspects they consider to be over-processed or badly post-processed in those photos.
            I wish you could explain it to me, so that I can keep it in mind for the next photos that I will upload to the queue.
            Editing halos are visible.

Comment

Hello again.
              I recently had two rejections due to backlit.
              According to the upload guidelines: "As a rule of thumb: if the tail casts a shadow on the fuselage, the photo is most likely to be rejected for backlit."
              So, in my opinion, it would not apply to these photos.
              Please could you tell me what else to consider?​

Name:	DSCN8439 LV-CVR.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	582.3 KB
ID:	1184017Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8982 LV-FUT.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	737.0 KB
ID:	1184018

Comment

Hello again.
                According to the upload guidelines: "As a rule of thumb: if the tail casts a shadow on the fuselage, the photo is most likely to be rejected for backlit."
                Please could you tell me what else to consider?​

Name:	DSCN8439 LV-CVR.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	582.3 KB
ID:	1184017Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8982 LV-FUT.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	737.0 KB
ID:	1184018
                Not a screener, but here's my opinion:

1. Contrast
                2. Overexposed, contrast

I'm pretty sure neither would be considered backlight.

Comment

Hello again.
                  Please could you tell me what else to consider?
                  1. ok for me
                  2. overexposed/harsh contrast

Comment

Working...
                  X