Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prescreening/editing advice

Hello,
    I need help with this photo. This original photo is unprocessed, nothing has been changed around shadows, highlights, textures, clarity, or dehaze. The only changed thing was straight edges without any information on the histogram (and that was a very small correction).
    Then when I opened the equalize tool in Photoshop I noticed the halo above the engine and behind the rudder. If I'm not mistaken, a halo appeared in the sky around very bright surfaces (there is no clipping in the picture, but those surfaces are in the right part of the histogram).
    I would also like to add that D-lighting is turned off and the original file is uncompressed RAW. So I guess the reason for this halo is not a problem with post-processing or with settings in the camera.
    I would like to know if this is a normal and acceptable thing?

Aleksa Vladisavljevic

Click image for larger version

Name:	YU-DNI.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	1131899Click image for larger version

Name:	YU-DNIeq.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	1131900

Originally posted by AleksaV View Post
    Hello,
    I need help with this photo. This original photo is unprocessed, nothing has been changed around shadows, highlights, textures, clarity, or dehaze. The only changed thing was straight edges without any information on the histogram (and that was a very small correction).
    Then when I opened the equalize tool in Photoshop I noticed the halo above the engine and behind the rudder. If I'm not mistaken, a halo appeared in the sky around very bright surfaces (there is no clipping in the picture, but those surfaces are in the right part of the histogram).
    I would also like to add that D-lighting is turned off and the original file is uncompressed RAW. So I guess the reason for this halo is not a problem with post-processing or with settings in the camera.
    I would like to know if this is a normal and acceptable thing?

Aleksa Vladisavljevic
    Yes, seems to be just reflection off the bright surface making the sky around it also brighter.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

Yes, seems to be just reflection off the bright surface making the sky around it also brighter.
      Thanks for the reply, I understand.
      But I'm not sure is it acceptable for Jetphotos?

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I understand.
        But I'm not sure is it acceptable for Jetphotos?
        There are other issues, but the reflection shouldn't be one.

Comment

Hello,

Sometimes I have problems with JPG compression artefacts, this has recently become the most common reason for the rejections, although the original files are RAW, full size 5568x3712 px, lossless compressed, and I don't make a heavy crop (4678x3119 px for this image, sometimes even more heavily cropped images don't have a problem).

When resizing an image, the settings are:
          1280x853px, resolution 240 pixels/inch, bicubic (smooth gradients),
          and when exporting an image, the settings are:
          format JPG, quality 100%, 1280x853px, scale 100%, resample Bicubic Automatic, sRGB color space.

Can you help me why something like this is happening? I searched the forum if anyone had already written about it, but I did not find any specific reasons that would help me solve this problem.
          I also tried some different things in Photoshop, but for example, denoising the sky is pronouncing the artefacts even more.

Last edited by AleksaV; 2022-03-18, 19:08. Reason: Corrected some grammatical errors

Comment

Hello,

Sometimes I have problems with JPG compression artefacts, this has recently become the most common reason for the rejections, although the original files are RAW, full size 5568x3712 px, lossless compressed, and I don't make a heavy crop (4678x3119 px for this image, sometimes even more heavily cropped images don't have a problem).

When resizing an image, the settings are:
            1280x853px, resolution 240 pixels/inch, bicubic (smooth gradients),
            and when exporting an image, the settings are:
            format JPG, quality 100%, 1280x853px, scale 100%, resample Bicubic Automatic, sRGB color space.

Can you help me why something like this is happening? I searched the forum if anyone had already written about it, but I did not find any specific reasons that would help me solve this problem.
            I also tried some different things in Photoshop, but for example, denoising the sky is pronouncing the artefacts even more.
            Not sure.. your settings seem appropriate, but that does appear to be more compression than I would normally expect to see. It might be somewhere along the line in the editing process you are actually compressing the image without realizing that you are doing so.

Comment

Not sure.. your settings seem appropriate, but that does appear to be more compression than I would normally expect to see. It might be somewhere along the line in the editing process you are actually compressing the image without realizing that you are doing so.
              Thank you for your answer, I will try to find out what's wrong.

Comment

Hello,

The last five or six uploaded photos were all rejected for the same reason: "JPG compression artefacts", which has almost never happened to me before, and I haven't changed anything in my way of working (settings inside the camera, settings in photoshop, or the editing process).

For the last few days, I was trying to figure out what is the problem, I checked all settings in photoshop, in the camera, compared with older images, and then I decided to try to upload a photo that has already been accepted on the site and for which I know for sure is good quality.
                I uploaded exactly the same file that was accepted and the obvious difference is visible.

The first image is a photo that was accepted on the JetPhotos:
                Air Serbia’s first ATR 72-600 climbing out from RWY 12. YU-ALY. ATR 72-600. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

The second image is the same file as the first one, but I uploaded it a few minutes ago to do a test:
                JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Click image for larger version  Name:	YU-ALY artefacts.jpg Views:	0 Size:	273.0 KB ID:	1134268
                And it can be seen that there are no artefacts in the first photo, but in the second photo they are clearly visible in the sky behind the right wing, under the fuselage, even without using the equalize tool.

Now the only thing that comes to my mind is that something has changed inside the JetPhotos system in the 30 days.
                Do you have any suggestions on what to do?

Aleksa Vladisavljevic
                Last edited by AleksaV; 2022-04-01, 17:08. Reason: Corrected some grammatical errors

Comment

Hello,

The last five or six uploaded photos were all rejected for the same reason: "JPG compression artefacts", which has almost never happened to me before, and I haven't changed anything in my way of working (settings inside the camera, settings in photoshop, or the editing process).

For the last few days, I was trying to figure out what is the problem, I checked all settings in photoshop, in the camera, compared with older images, and then I decided to try to upload a photo that has already been accepted on the site and for which I know for sure is good quality.
                  I uploaded exactly the same file that was accepted and the obvious difference is visible.

The first image is a photo that was accepted on the JetPhotos:
                  Air Serbia’s first ATR 72-600 climbing out from RWY 12. YU-ALY. ATR 72-600. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

The second image is the same file as the first one, but I uploaded it a few minutes ago to do a test:
                  JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

And it can be seen that there are no artefacts in the first photo, but in the second photo they are clearly visible in the sky behind the right wing, under the fuselage, even without using the equalize tool.

Now the only thing that comes to my mind is that something has changed inside the JetPhotos system in the 30 days.
                  Do you have any suggestions on what to do?

Aleksa Vladisavljevic
                  Nothing has changed with the system. In the uploaded 'test' image I don't see any issues with compression.

Comment

Hello,

This is my first time uploading wing view and inflight photo so I need a little help.
                    The rejection reasons are:
                    • Bad Composition (bad framing / aircraft not centered)
                    • Horizon unlevel
                    Both reasons are unclear to me.

For the horizon, I don't understand how it was checked because there is no clear horizontal line, only the outlines of hills and mountains are visible in the background. There is also no vertical reference to determine the horizon.

For the bad composition, I looked at accepted wing view photos on JetPhotos trying to understand what I did wrong and what standard is required for that category. But I couldn't figure anything out because already on the first page of the latest accepted photos there are few photos with the wing visible in the side and the landscape covering the rest of the frame, so I really don't understand what's wrong with both rejection reasons.

Rejection link: https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=11212791

Comment

Hello,

This is my first time uploading wing view and inflight photo so I need a little help.
                      The rejection reasons are:
                      • Bad Composition (bad framing / aircraft not centered)
                      • Horizon unlevel
                      Both reasons are unclear to me.

For the horizon, I don't understand how it was checked because there is no clear horizontal line, only the outlines of hills and mountains are visible in the background. There is also no vertical reference to determine the horizon.

For the bad composition, I looked at accepted wing view photos on JetPhotos trying to understand what I did wrong and what standard is required for that category. But I couldn't figure anything out because already on the first page of the latest accepted photos there are few photos with the wing visible in the side and the landscape covering the rest of the frame, so I really don't understand what's wrong with both rejection reasons.

Rejection link: https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=11212791
                      Horizon looks like it needs a little CW rotation. Screener comments indicate needs a little tighter crop on right side.

Comment

Horizon looks like it needs a little CW rotation. Screener comments indicate needs a little tighter crop on right side.
                        Thank you for answer.

Comment

Hello,

I don't understand why the photo is rejected for bad info.
                          There is no screener's comment and I can't see if I didn't check the "night shot" option in the additional options.

Rejection link: https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=11271458

Comment

Hello,

I don't understand why the photo is rejected for bad info.
                            There is no screener's comment and I can't see if I didn't check the "night shot" option in the additional options.

Rejection link: https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=11271458
                            This image was taken at the airport (LYBE)?

Comment

This image was taken at the airport (LYBE)?
                              It was taken close to the airport, I entered it fast without thinking, didn't know it will be a problem. I will change the info.

Comment

Working...
                              X