Backlit Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backlit Confusion

So I've been facing Backlit rejections a lot recently. Kindly help whether these photos will be considered as backlit or not ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	830534_1690090425.jpg
Views:	1482
Size:	712.7 KB
ID:	1166480

Name:	785630_1690537103.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	708.9 KB
ID:	1166481

Originally posted by Jash 787 DreamLiner View Post
    So I've been facing Backlit rejections a lot recently. Kindly help whether these photos will be considered as backlit or not ?

Name:	830534_1690090425.jpg
Views:	1482
Size:	712.7 KB
ID:	1166480

Name:	785630_1690537103.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	708.9 KB
ID:	1166481
    Not a screener, but I don't think either of these would be considered as backlit. Contrast might be an issue on the first one, however.

Comment

If you'd like advice from crew, please read here carefully, and try to follow our requests:

We won't comment on images already in the queue.

Comment

Postscreening advice
        Hi screeners, I hope i'm posting this at right place. Both the following photos were rejected for being Undersharpened (soft).
        JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Are they worth appealing to?
        I'm not understanding which part is undersharpened in both photos. To me, both photos look properly sharpened. I use Lightroom Classic for editing. What I do first is edit the photo. Sharpen it to a maximum of 150 and mask it to about 60–70. Then I export it without resizing it (in its original resolution) and then import the one-time sharpened image and again do the same thing—sharpness 150 and masking about 60–70. and then export with resizing it (1280x720, my maximum allowed resolution on JP). So both pictures are sharpened twice. Sharpening them even more results in losing the details around the edges, titles, registration, windows, etc., and then I get JPEG compression rejection (for photos sharpened more than twice, even sometimes for twice-sharpened images). I have a lower-end point and shoot digital 14 MP camera, so the base output resolution is not too good. I very often get undersharpened rejection. Also, can you please give me some general advice for not getting a soft rejection? Also, what exactly do JP screeners look while checking for image sharpness? Do they look at aircraft edges, titles, and registrations only, or do they check background objects like terminals, poles, other aircraft, horizon sharpness, elements in the foreground such as taxiway edges, runway sign board edges, etc. as well ?
        I'm awaiting your advice. Thanks in advance!​

Comment

Postscreening advice
          Hi screeners, I hope i'm posting this at right place. Both the following photos were rejected for being Undersharpened (soft).

Are they worth appealing to?
          I'm not understanding which part is undersharpened in both photos. To me, both photos look properly sharpened. I use Lightroom Classic for editing. What I do first is edit the photo. Sharpen it to a maximum of 150 and mask it to about 60–70. Then I export it without resizing it (in its original resolution) and then import the one-time sharpened image and again do the same thing—sharpness 150 and masking about 60–70. and then export with resizing it (1280x720, my maximum allowed resolution on JP). So both pictures are sharpened twice. Sharpening them even more results in losing the details around the edges, titles, registration, windows, etc., and then I get JPEG compression rejection (for photos sharpened more than twice, even sometimes for twice-sharpened images). I have a lower-end point and shoot digital 14 MP camera, so the base output resolution is not too good. I very often get undersharpened rejection. Also, can you please give me some general advice for not getting a soft rejection? Also, what exactly do JP screeners look while checking for image sharpness? Do they look at aircraft edges, titles, and registrations only, or do they check background objects like terminals, poles, other aircraft, horizon sharpness, elements in the foreground such as taxiway edges, runway sign board edges, etc. as well ?
          I'm awaiting your advice. Thanks in advance!​
          Actually more noisy/compressed with only minor softness for me. If you're using a compact camera, that might be the issue. Otherwise need much better edits.

Comment

Postscreening advice. rejection advice/appeal
            1) rejected for undersharpened. I think it has enough sharpness on all aircraft edges, titles ,window, registration etc are adequately sharp
            2) rejected for sharpness and too much or too little contrast. Sharpness looks somewhat less but I'm not understanding the contrast reason. It has enough of darks and whites and difference between dark and whites is also sufficient - not too much or not too less. Histogram also looks good to me.
            1)https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=11398838
            2)https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=11398842
            Are they worth considering to appeal? Please correct me if i'm wrong somewhere as I value screeners' time and do not want to submit false appeal but at the same time I want to improve my editing skiil as well.

Comment

Postscreening advice. rejection advice/appeal
              1) rejected for undersharpened. I think it has enough sharpness on all aircraft edges, titles ,window, registration etc are adequately sharp
              2) rejected for sharpness and too much or too little contrast. Sharpness looks somewhat less but I'm not understanding the contrast reason. It has enough of darks and whites and difference between dark and whites is also sufficient - not too much or not too less. Histogram also looks good to me.
              1)https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=11398838
              2)https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=11398842
              Are they worth considering to appeal? Please correct me if i'm wrong somewhere as I value screeners' time and do not want to submit false appeal but at the same time I want to improve my editing skiil as well.
              Both borderline cases, but I don't think they would be successful on appeal. Otoh, not much work should be needed for re-edits.

Comment

Hi, this photo was rejected for undersharpened and too much noise.
                I do agree that it has noise but I don't get undersharpened rejection reason. Which part is not sharped in particular? Soft is the most common rejection reason I get, this is may be because of my small point and shoot 14MP camera. As the resolution is not very large, maybe sharpness is an issue. I've tried rectifying this by sharpening the photo 2 times. What I usually do is edit the photo and sharp it to maximum 150 and edge masking of about 70-80 in Lightroom, then I export that photo without any resizing in its original resolution and again import it and then repeat the same sharpening procedure second time and then export it with resizing it to 1280px. I often find my photos in a position where if I sharp it adequately then it looses its quality around its edges especially around registration and engine cowlings leading to JPG compression rejection. And if I try to preserve quality around edges then the image looks undersharpened, at least not as sharpened as JP standards. A sweet spot between undersharpened and JPG compression is very difficult and often impossible to find as upon sharpening the image much, edges looses their quality. I know my issue may sound like a stupid one but this has been the case since I started uploading on JP. Probably my camera limitation comes into picture here. Also what exactly do JP photo screeners look while checking for sharpness? Do they only check the aircraft edges or they also check background and foreground elements like taxiway markings, runway signs, terminal buildings, poles etc.? Awaiting your advice.

Comment

This photo also got rejected for same reasons. Not understanding what part of photo is not sharp. Advice/comments on this would be helpful Thanks

Comment

Almost certainly it is the combination of the camera quality and poor light conditions causing the issues.

If you would like continued feedback on rejections, please don't appeal if I've already said the chances would not be good.

Comment

Alright Thanks!

Comment

Hi, this is my first time uploading an image like this. I mean from this angle and of a fighter combat aircraft. Also it is from my Mobile phone. I'm not sure about contrasting and other probable issues/imperfections. Can you please pre-screen this image? I'm also posting its histogram. The photo is NOT uploaded to the queue yet, I'm just attaching the histogram for reference. Thanks.

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-11 143730.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	1175233

Name:	IMG_20230217_155643-3.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	839.6 KB
ID:	1175232

Comment

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-11 145518.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	1175237And also this one please !​ Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230217_165134-4.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	884.0 KB
ID:	1175236

Comment

A little bit of compression/oversharpening visible, but would be ok for me.

Comment

Prescreening request - advice
                              I'm not sure about contrast and histogram of this picture. Also I do not upload 4X3 aspect images regularly so can you please comment on this image? any corrections needed ? I'm attaching its histogram for reference. The photo is not yet uploaded to queue, Thanks for your time.

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-06 233417.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	1177745

Name:	IMG_20230217_153604-2.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	777.0 KB
ID:	1177744

Comment

Working...